Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 07-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No point arguing how prestigious or how recognized is the uol distance learning program. I only believe it is truly marketable if the external law program can be accepted for admission to the Bar. All the support from the uol distance learning grads are pretty useless if the Singapore Bar cannot recognize it. I can only hope that my wish can come true.
dont make me laugh.

even UOL accountancy programme is not accepted by the local body as a proper degree.

distance learning will always be distance learning - it is an alternative for people who do not qualify for universities to get a "degree" to inflate their ego.

its sole purpose is to generate income for the lesser known universities.

even locals in the UK shun UOL - what in your right mind ever let you think that a phony cert from UOL can qualify you for the bar in SG?

Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
dont make me laugh.

even UOL accountancy programme is not accepted by the local body as a proper degree.

distance learning will always be distance learning - it is an alternative for people who do not qualify for universities to get a "degree" to inflate their ego.

its sole purpose is to generate income for the lesser known universities.

even locals in the UK shun UOL - what in your right mind ever let you think that a phony cert from UOL can qualify you for the bar in SG?
Well,what you're saying may be true.Although I do have to say that if these people with "Phony certs" are getting admissions into Universities like LSE,Oxford,UCL,LBS for their masters then who needs admissions into Singapore universities anyway?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well,what you're saying may be true.Although I do have to say that if these people with "Phony certs" are getting admissions into Universities like LSE,Oxford,UCL,LBS for their masters then who needs admissions into Singapore universities anyway?

I want admission to local law school, Not interested in all the above famous unis. Hoping for uol distance learning program to be accepted by local Bar.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Neutral View

Default Understand the fundamental of education

I have come across this forum (by chance) and saw that there is quite a debate on the qualification of private degree and local degree.

In my personal view, I would think that be it private or local degree, the most important thing is the knowledge that the student acquire during the course of their study. As Singaporean, we have slowly forgotten the fundamental of education, which is to receive knowledge and improve our skill set for our career life in the future. The reason why we slowly fade away from this belief is because we linked up money to degree/qualification itself.

This new idea of "having degree will have more pay/prospect" has deeply rooted into our mind, which is why such argument occurs. Yes, it is obvious that having a local degree will tends to have (but not 100%) have higher starting pay but we must remember that that is just a starting point, no one will know what will happen from there on (further studies, PHDs and etc)

We cannot deny the fact that there are some private degree graduates getting more opportunities or better career than local degree graduates, vice versa as well. Of course, getting a head start for private degree graduates is certainly difficult than local degree graduates, like for example management program in MNCs (Banks and etc.) after all, this is a meritocracy society.

However, there are vast opportunities out there in the world, it doesn't mean that graduates with private degree will not excel, but might have more capability to excel more based on the individual capabilities in adapting the market.

My conclusion is that each of us have different opportunities as some of the people might be late bloomer, which cause the opportunity loss in getting to the target that was aim to achieve. So it is not right to say that private degree are worthless or easy to get or 2nd grade, because the student who attend private university also spend time and effort in learning and gaining new knowledge in order to attain the degree. What we can conclude is that the advantage of local degree graduates have are during the beginning of the career life and the rest, is up to individual to achieve.

Sorry for my bad English.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View View Post
I have come across this forum (by chance) and saw that there is quite a debate on the qualification of private degree and local degree.

In my personal view, I would think that be it private or local degree, the most important thing is the knowledge that the student acquire during the course of their study. As Singaporean, we have slowly forgotten the fundamental of education, which is to receive knowledge and improve our skill set for our career life in the future. The reason why we slowly fade away from this belief is because we linked up money to degree/qualification itself.

This new idea of "having degree will have more pay/prospect" has deeply rooted into our mind, which is why such argument occurs. Yes, it is obvious that having a local degree will tends to have (but not 100%) have higher starting pay but we must remember that that is just a starting point, no one will know what will happen from there on (further studies, PHDs and etc)

We cannot deny the fact that there are some private degree graduates getting more opportunities or better career than local degree graduates, vice versa as well. Of course, getting a head start for private degree graduates is certainly difficult than local degree graduates, like for example management program in MNCs (Banks and etc.) after all, this is a meritocracy society.

However, there are vast opportunities out there in the world, it doesn't mean that graduates with private degree will not excel, but might have more capability to excel more based on the individual capabilities in adapting the market.

My conclusion is that each of us have different opportunities as some of the people might be late bloomer, which cause the opportunity loss in getting to the target that was aim to achieve. So it is not right to say that private degree are worthless or easy to get or 2nd grade, because the student who attend private university also spend time and effort in learning and gaining new knowledge in order to attain the degree. What we can conclude is that the advantage of local degree graduates have are during the beginning of the career life and the rest, is up to individual to achieve.

Sorry for my bad English.
no conclusion needed.

a typical SIM lecture consist of one guy who obviously has no proper teaching qualif standing infront of a class giving them tutorials from london/australia.

the same set of students then proceed to watch some videos, and pray that the lecturer make his way during his supposed 2 days live lecture in SG. there are plenty of times when the lecturer cancels his trip.

that's knowledge?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
LSE do not accept distance learning.

neither does oxford.

LBS might - under UOL.

but anyway, hears a joke when i was attending a LSE alumni dinner.

one of my coursemate remarked, (hes a brit btw). one of his backoffice guys chat him, asked him if he was from LSE. he said yea, and that guy said he was too. and he asked if he met mr XXX, who was a course lecturer for finance. my friend was puzzled, and asked which year was he from, and apparently that guy's in our course. so my friend said, well, theres quite a number of SG in LSE, so how you find the school, london (just being polite) and that guy was like, i never been to london - he studied.

my friend being all british and polite, said oh i see. he then asked us what's SIM, cause hes only ever heard of the simpsons.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
LSE do not accept distance learning.

neither does oxford.

LBS might - under UOL.

but anyway, hears a joke when i was attending a LSE alumni dinner.

one of my coursemate remarked, (hes a brit btw). one of his backoffice guys chat him, asked him if he was from LSE. he said yea, and that guy said he was too. and he asked if he met mr XXX, who was a course lecturer for finance. my friend was puzzled, and asked which year was he from, and apparently that guy's in our course. so my friend said, well, theres quite a number of SG in LSE, so how you find the school, london (just being polite) and that guy was like, i never been to london - he studied.

my friend being all british and polite, said oh i see. he then asked us what's SIM, cause hes only ever heard of the simpsons.
Good one. I liked the last line. A worthy contender together with "SIMian".
Old 10-09-2015, 05:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
no conclusion needed.

a typical SIM lecture consist of one guy who obviously has no proper teaching qualif standing infront of a class giving them tutorials from london/australia.

the same set of students then proceed to watch some videos, and pray that the lecturer make his way during his supposed 2 days live lecture in SG. there are plenty of times when the lecturer cancels his trip.

that's knowledge?
Sorry to burst your bubble,but I think the SIM lecturers are more qualified than you will ever be.

Check out this famous UOL lecturer
://.lse.ac.uk/study/UOLIP/Success%20Stories/Dr_Zhang_Jianlin.pdf
This guy should be considered as a role model for fellow SIM students.
He was a student studying at SIM UOL in his time and who would have ever thought he would get a scholarship to study at LSE and then proceed to acquire a PhD from NUS?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble,but I think the SIM lecturers are more qualified than you will ever be.

Check out this famous UOL lecturer
://.lse.ac.uk/study/UOLIP/Success%20Stories/Dr_Zhang_Jianlin.pdf
This guy should be considered as a role model for fellow SIM students.
He was a student studying at SIM UOL in his time and who would have ever thought he would get a scholarship to study at LSE and then proceed to acquire a PhD from NUS?
few things:

1. hes a FT from China, who only chose SIM probably because his standard of english dont qualify him for the NUS/NTU courses - doesnt mean hes not smart unlike the other SIM applicants
2. hes lecturing at SIM. not exactly a place i want to lecture at if i have a PhD
Old 10-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
few things:

1. hes a FT from China, who only chose SIM probably because his standard of english dont qualify him for the NUS/NTU courses - doesnt mean hes not smart unlike the other SIM applicants
2. hes lecturing at SIM. not exactly a place i want to lecture at if i have a PhD
I don't understand why you people have to be stereotypes all the time.

Because he is from China his English is supposed to be bad? Because his English is bad he lectures in SIM? Having a PhD and working in SIM is bizarre? Maybe he is volunteering to help other students to do well? It's all a question mark but people always pick out the negative ones all the time.
Don't you know to get LSE in the first place you need GMAT and IELTS scores? Then if he dodged that bullet then how did he make it to PhD in NUS if his English was bad? Are you saying NUS accepts students who cannot speak well?