Need some advice if I should early quit - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Need some advice if I should early quit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 01:14 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 11
djhaller is on a distinguished road
Default Need some advice if I should early quit

Hi all, I'm a fresh grad and would like advice.

Having been job hunt for close to a month, I finally got an offer from company NCS.
So while that company reputation is not that great, and the start date is coming soon (early june)
  1. should I continue to accept new job interviews
  2. will it reflects badly on me if I decided to early quit (eg I am weeks into the job) while I have accepted a new job offer, burning bridges with the company?

If not, should one continue to stay in the company for at least one year?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 01:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaller View Post
Hi all, I'm a fresh grad and would like advice.

Having been job hunt for close to a month, I finally got an offer from company NCS.
So while that company reputation is not that great, and the start date is coming soon (early june)
  1. should I continue to accept new job interviews
  2. will it reflects badly on me if I decided to early quit (eg I am weeks into the job) while I have accepted a new job offer, burning bridges with the company?

If not, should one continue to stay in the company for at least one year?
hey OP, i was also placed in a similar position as you and i withdrew my acceptance a while away from my start date, here are my 2 cents.

you are quite right that it is abit too late in the sense that u literally start in a couple of weeks, but if you have managed to secure another offer already and are leaning towards that direction then go for it. in my view, its better to withdraw before companies begin a tedious process to onboard you for weeks or even months.

if i were you and i was intent on going with another offer, i would check with HR if there is any penalty for withdrawing(unlikely as u have not started) and drop them a email and/or phone call as a courtesy, especially if they have been helpful throughout. make sure to be polite about it and should be generally ok, just try not to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

my final advice to you is at the end of the day, these companies can replace you as and when its convenient for them to do so, so why not take the same approach? ofc, if the company really values and respects you then its your call.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 01:57 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 11
djhaller is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hey OP, i was also placed in a similar position as you and i withdrew my acceptance a while away from my start date, here are my 2 cents.

you are quite right that it is abit too late in the sense that u literally start in a couple of weeks, but if you have managed to secure another offer already and are leaning towards that direction then go for it. in my view, its better to withdraw before companies begin a tedious process to onboard you for weeks or even months.

if i were you and i was intent on going with another offer, i would check with HR if there is any penalty for withdrawing(unlikely as u have not started) and drop them a email and/or phone call as a courtesy, especially if they have been helpful throughout. make sure to be polite about it and should be generally ok, just try not to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

my final advice to you is at the end of the day, these companies can replace you as and when its convenient for them to do so, so why not take the same approach? ofc, if the company really values and respects you then its your call.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I may have been biased against NCS based on what I have read so far. As mentioned, this is the current and only offer I have had and as all offers does, it comes with a deadline to accept it.
Which is also why I am really at a lost if it will make me looks bad, ie. Accept and signed the contract > Go work at company + accepting new interviews or finding new jobs > if lucky, I got a new offer during the short period I work

If I happen to be doing well at ncs, I would probably not go around accepting interviews or looking for any jobs. Or say, even before my job commences and I found a better one, I will definitely do as what you said.

All in all, my concern is more on after entering into ncs.. and adding on, I doubt there will be any new offers coming for me from now till the mention start date in early june

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 05:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaller View Post
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I may have been biased against NCS based on what I have read so far. As mentioned, this is the current and only offer I have had and as all offers does, it comes with a deadline to accept it.
Which is also why I am really at a lost if it will make me looks bad, ie. Accept and signed the contract > Go work at company + accepting new interviews or finding new jobs > if lucky, I got a new offer during the short period I work

If I happen to be doing well at ncs, I would probably not go around accepting interviews or looking for any jobs. Or say, even before my job commences and I found a better one, I will definitely do as what you said.

All in all, my concern is more on after entering into ncs.. and adding on, I doubt there will be any new offers coming for me from now till the mention start date in early june
I was in a similar situation before. Give yourself a couple of months working at ncs. See if you feel comfortable with the environment. Make sure to check your contract about the notice period and penalty for quitting within a certain period.

If you like the environment after a month or two working there, i say go ahead and aim to work at least 6 months and then towards a year and so on. If you do not like it, go ahead and send your resumes out while you are still working under ncs.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone has information how much average performance bonus one working at engineering company - Chip Eng Seng
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 32
Raymond is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaller View Post
Hi all, I'm a fresh grad and would like advice.

Having been job hunt for close to a month, I finally got an offer from company NCS.
So while that company reputation is not that great, and the start date is coming soon (early june)
  1. should I continue to accept new job interviews
  2. will it reflects badly on me if I decided to early quit (eg I am weeks into the job) while I have accepted a new job offer, burning bridges with the company?

If not, should one continue to stay in the company for at least one year?
1. You can if you want to, there's no local law stating it's illegal to do so.

2. Well yeah, it will reflect badly on you regardless of what company you work at.


Here's my advice, network often and try to make new friends with people working at these companies. A lot of times it's easier to tell if a company is good or bad for you by simply asking someone either from the same university as you, a alumni who is already working, a junior who is interning or interned in the past, a friend of your friend, etc. Of course, align your personalities, if you ask someone who does nothing but work all day long like a corporate slave then duh, this guy will tell you that the company is #1 and that he loves it.

Personally I view all gov related tech companies as horrible ( I believe NCS is sub of Telco company SingTel that's heavily gov supported and managed? correct me if I'm wrong ). Sure they could pay well and I could be wrong sometimes but the general consensus in the CS scene is that government / IT consulting / defense companies are awful regardless of what country you're in. I wouldn't take my chances.

Last edited by Raymond; 24-05-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 09:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

avoid ncs at all costs, trust me!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 11
djhaller is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was in a similar situation before. Give yourself a couple of months working at ncs. See if you feel comfortable with the environment. Make sure to check your contract about the notice period and penalty for quitting within a certain period.

If you like the environment after a month or two working there, i say go ahead and aim to work at least 6 months and then towards a year and so on. If you do not like it, go ahead and send your resumes out while you are still working under ncs.
Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
1. You can if you want to, there's no local law stating it's illegal to do so.

2. Well yeah, it will reflect badly on you regardless of what company you work at.


Here's my advice, network often and try to make new friends with people working at these companies. A lot of times it's easier to tell if a company is good or bad for you by simply asking someone either from the same university as you, a alumni who is already working, a junior who is interning or interned in the past, a friend of your friend, etc. Of course, align your personalities, if you ask someone who does nothing but work all day long like a corporate slave then duh, this guy will tell you that the company is #1 and that he loves it.

Personally I view all gov related tech companies as horrible ( I believe NCS is sub of Telco company SingTel that's heavily gov supported and managed? correct me if I'm wrong ). Sure they could pay well and I could be wrong sometimes but the general consensus in the CS scene is that government / IT consulting / defense companies are awful regardless of what country you're in. I wouldn't take my chances.
Yep ncs is a subsidiary of singtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
avoid ncs at all costs, trust me!
Tbh initially I wasn't even thinking of applying for ncs. But I did so anyway partly because in the previous interviews I have had, employers are tell me how inexperienced I am and hence I applied and got it
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 10:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

NCS is so garbage, how much did they offer you? anything below 5k i wouldn't even bother. already sacrificing a lot by working for a company notorious for overworking people and treating them like NS hierarchy.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 11
djhaller is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
NCS is so garbage, how much did they offer you? anything below 5k i wouldn't even bother. already sacrificing a lot by working for a company notorious for overworking people and treating them like NS hierarchy.
Well, they offer me for the software engineer role but it is under nucleus. And so the pay is 4.8k
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need career advice : quit 9 month job voskesbun Income and Jobs 20 19-06-2020 12:00 PM
quit without job floralpeace Income and Jobs 118 27-06-2015 08:58 PM
Pls advise me.Should i quit? xiaopangbronco Income and Jobs 7 12-12-2014 04:24 PM
Will you quit without a job if you have the following? Blueberry Income and Jobs 3 17-11-2014 09:01 PM
Quit Without A Job QWOAJ Income and Jobs 18 10-01-2014 04:35 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,599 Replies, 9,243,174 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,409 Replies, 654,540 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,984 Replies, 898,909 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,432 Replies, 6,720,661 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
242 Replies, 265,749 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,084 Replies, 2,004,344 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,211 Replies, 925,846 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,039 Replies, 673,467 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
960 Replies, 602,086 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 120,672 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,816 Replies, 3,667,063 Views
Polytechnic lecturer salary range ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 82,496 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,698 Replies, 2,616,515 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,261 Replies, 1,055,441 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 33,767 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
503 Replies, 261,702 Views
crypto trading tech roles
9 Replies, 2,036 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,400 Replies, 2,401,363 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 4,095 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,193 Replies, 548,703 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,359 Replies, 293,665 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
486 Replies, 447,219 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,650 Replies, 3,194,420 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 117,341 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
138 Replies, 139,068 Views
DBS BANK Interview replies ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
433 Replies, 334,377 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,272 Replies, 924,384 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
994 Replies, 219,130 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 239,330 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
525 Replies, 190,111 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2