Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Need some advice if I should early quit (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14593-need-some-advice-if-i-should-early-quit.html)

djhaller 24-05-2022 01:14 AM

Need some advice if I should early quit

Hi all, I'm a fresh grad and would like advice.

Having been job hunt for close to a month, I finally got an offer from company NCS.
So while that company reputation is not that great, and the start date is coming soon (early june)
  1. should I continue to accept new job interviews
  2. will it reflects badly on me if I decided to early quit (eg I am weeks into the job) while I have accepted a new job offer, burning bridges with the company?

If not, should one continue to stay in the company for at least one year?

Unregistered 24-05-2022 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhaller (Post 218862)

Having been job hunt for close to a month, I finally got an offer from company NCS.
So while that company reputation is not that great, and the start date is coming soon (early june)
  2. will it reflects badly on me if I decided to early quit (eg I am weeks into the job) while I have accepted a new job offer, burning bridges with the company?

hey OP, i was also placed in a similar position as you and i withdrew my acceptance a while away from my start date, here are my 2 cents.

you are quite right that it is abit too late in the sense that u literally start in a couple of weeks, but if you have managed to secure another offer already and are leaning towards that direction then go for it. in my view, its better to withdraw before companies begin a tedious process to onboard you for weeks or even months.

if i were you and i was intent on going with another offer, i would check with HR if there is any penalty for withdrawing(unlikely as u have not started) and drop them a email and/or phone call as a courtesy, especially if they have been helpful throughout. make sure to be polite about it and should be generally ok, just try not to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

my final advice to you is at the end of the day, these companies can replace you as and when its convenient for them to do so, so why not take the same approach? ofc, if the company really values and respects you then its your call.

djhaller 24-05-2022 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218863)
hey OP, i was also placed in a similar position as you and i withdrew my acceptance a while away from my start date, here are my 2 cents.

you are quite right that it is abit too late in the sense that u literally start in a couple of weeks, but if you have managed to secure another offer already and are leaning towards that direction then go for it. in my view, its better to withdraw before companies begin a tedious process to onboard you for weeks or even months.

if i were you and i was intent on going with another offer, i would check with HR if there is any penalty for withdrawing(unlikely as u have not started) and drop them a email and/or phone call as a courtesy, especially if they have been helpful throughout. make sure to be polite about it and should be generally ok, just try not to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

my final advice to you is at the end of the day, these companies can replace you as and when its convenient for them to do so, so why not take the same approach? ofc, if the company really values and respects you then its your call.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I may have been biased against NCS based on what I have read so far. As mentioned, this is the current and only offer I have had and as all offers does, it comes with a deadline to accept it.
Which is also why I am really at a lost if it will make me looks bad, ie. Accept and signed the contract > Go work at company + accepting new interviews or finding new jobs > if lucky, I got a new offer during the short period I work

If I happen to be doing well at ncs, I would probably not go around accepting interviews or looking for any jobs. Or say, even before my job commences and I found a better one, I will definitely do as what you said.

All in all, my concern is more on after entering into ncs.. and adding on, I doubt there will be any new offers coming for me from now till the mention start date in early june

Unregistered 24-05-2022 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhaller (Post 218864)
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I may have been biased against NCS based on what I have read so far. As mentioned, this is the current and only offer I have had and as all offers does, it comes with a deadline to accept it.
Which is also why I am really at a lost if it will make me looks bad, ie. Accept and signed the contract > Go work at company + accepting new interviews or finding new jobs > if lucky, I got a new offer during the short period I work

If I happen to be doing well at ncs, I would probably not go around accepting interviews or looking for any jobs. Or say, even before my job commences and I found a better one, I will definitely do as what you said.

All in all, my concern is more on after entering into ncs.. and adding on, I doubt there will be any new offers coming for me from now till the mention start date in early june

I was in a similar situation before. Give yourself a couple of months working at ncs. See if you feel comfortable with the environment. Make sure to check your contract about the notice period and penalty for quitting within a certain period.

If you like the environment after a month or two working there, i say go ahead and aim to work at least 6 months and then towards a year and so on. If you do not like it, go ahead and send your resumes out while you are still working under ncs.

Unregistered 24-05-2022 07:30 AM

Anyone has information how much average performance bonus one working at engineering company - Chip Eng Seng

Raymond 24-05-2022 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhaller (Post 218862)

1. You can if you want to, there's no local law stating it's illegal to do so.

2. Well yeah, it will reflect badly on you regardless of what company you work at.

Here's my advice, network often and try to make new friends with people working at these companies. A lot of times it's easier to tell if a company is good or bad for you by simply asking someone either from the same university as you, a alumni who is already working, a junior who is interning or interned in the past, a friend of your friend, etc. Of course, align your personalities, if you ask someone who does nothing but work all day long like a corporate slave then duh, this guy will tell you that the company is #1 and that he loves it.

Personally I view all gov related tech companies as horrible ( I believe NCS is sub of Telco company SingTel that's heavily gov supported and managed? correct me if I'm wrong ). Sure they could pay well and I could be wrong sometimes but the general consensus in the CS scene is that government / IT consulting / defense companies are awful regardless of what country you're in. I wouldn't take my chances.

Unregistered 24-05-2022 09:11 AM

avoid ncs at all costs, trust me!

djhaller 24-05-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218869)
I was in a similar situation before. Give yourself a couple of months working at ncs. See if you feel comfortable with the environment. Make sure to check your contract about the notice period and penalty for quitting within a certain period.

If you like the environment after a month or two working there, i say go ahead and aim to work at least 6 months and then towards a year and so on. If you do not like it, go ahead and send your resumes out while you are still working under ncs.

Got it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 218873)
1. You can if you want to, there's no local law stating it's illegal to do so.

2. Well yeah, it will reflect badly on you regardless of what company you work at.

Here's my advice, network often and try to make new friends with people working at these companies. A lot of times it's easier to tell if a company is good or bad for you by simply asking someone either from the same university as you, a alumni who is already working, a junior who is interning or interned in the past, a friend of your friend, etc. Of course, align your personalities, if you ask someone who does nothing but work all day long like a corporate slave then duh, this guy will tell you that the company is #1 and that he loves it.

Personally I view all gov related tech companies as horrible ( I believe NCS is sub of Telco company SingTel that's heavily gov supported and managed? correct me if I'm wrong ). Sure they could pay well and I could be wrong sometimes but the general consensus in the CS scene is that government / IT consulting / defense companies are awful regardless of what country you're in. I wouldn't take my chances.

Yep ncs is a subsidiary of singtel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218878)
avoid ncs at all costs, trust me!

Tbh initially I wasn't even thinking of applying for ncs. But I did so anyway partly because in the previous interviews I have had, employers are tell me how inexperienced I am and hence I applied and got it

Unregistered 24-05-2022 10:09 AM

NCS is so garbage, how much did they offer you? anything below 5k i wouldn't even bother. already sacrificing a lot by working for a company notorious for overworking people and treating them like NS hierarchy.

djhaller 24-05-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218888)
NCS is so garbage, how much did they offer you? anything below 5k i wouldn't even bother. already sacrificing a lot by working for a company notorious for overworking people and treating them like NS hierarchy.

Well, they offer me for the software engineer role but it is under nucleus. And so the pay is 4.8k