What are some good non-fang tech companies? - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

What are some good non-fang tech companies?

Old 17-04-2022, 02:34 AM
Verified Member

shootingmen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
its better to join tech tech because u are treated as profit generating and more well respected. In banks, u are just a cost center
What if the product in the IB is interesting, algorithmic trading and has better pay vs the tech tech?

Old 17-04-2022, 03:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingmen View Post
What if the product in the IB is interesting, algorithmic trading and has better pay vs the tech tech?
well only you can decide whats impt to you my friend. in my prev post i specifically excluded quants as they are not even BO tech they are money makers in FO. so comparing algo trading and a front end engineer in the same shop is abit like apples and oranges.

in this case id rather front end swe in tech tech than banks BO

Old 17-04-2022, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
abit sensitive to disclose but i will say 1 is a GLC 1 is Public sector and the other is private company. each one progressively more annual comp than the other.
what is the fresh grad range? 5.5k?

Old 17-04-2022, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
what is the fresh grad range? 5.5k?
that was the lowest base i received, yes.
Old 17-04-2022, 01:48 PM
Verified Member

Anyone knows how much an AVP/VP earns in IB?
Old 17-04-2022, 03:44 PM

csgrad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hey man, no worries! glad to hear you are getting the interviews you want and moving forward! ive also just received an invite to a crypto company for their assessment center. maybe its the same one?

ahhh rack up a few more YoE and give them a compelling story and make them an offer they cant refuse.

yes boom for tech and the wider market in general is smth ive never seen before till now. honestly dont feel too bad, i think banking tech and tech tech is quite diff (altho with good overlap) and im personally not too interested in BO in banks. if you are worried about comp, stick to big tech better tbh.

dont settle for less than 5. that is alr market average or below, and if they dont want you, someone else will for sure. i alr received 3 offers within 6 months and im not even that gud lol. not tryna flex but you can do it mate.
hahah company starting with "H"? xD

the coding assignment they gave me is scary, dont think im gonna do it since i already found an offer that i really like hahaha

yeah damn i asked some of my friends and they said what u said also, told me to just go tech company instead of banks.. so now i lost all interest in banking lol.. but eh to be fair dont think i could have even gotten in anyway so its probably for the best, i'd like to learn from good senior devs

congrats on the 3 offers man and greatly appreciate the help i hope im good enough hahah got some final round interviews next week a bit stressed LOL trying to find excuses to get time off from work to do it

Old 17-04-2022, 05:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgrad View Post

the coding assignment they gave me is scary, dont think im gonna do it since i already found an offer that i really like hahaha

yeah damn i asked some of my friends and they said what u said also, told me to just go tech company instead of banks.. so now i lost all interest in banking lol.. but eh to be fair dont think i could have even gotten in anyway so its probably for the best, i'd like to learn from good senior devs

congrats on the 3 offers man and greatly appreciate the help i hope im good enough hahah got some final round interviews next week a bit stressed LOL trying to find excuses to get time off from work to do it
Why tech over bank? What if the bank is paying 8k, and the tech is paying only 5.5k, which would you pick?
Old 17-04-2022, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingmen View Post
Why tech over bank? What if the bank is paying 8k, and the tech is paying only 5.5k, which would you pick?
i mean in that case you have to think about what is impt to you. but the fact of the matter is banks still see tech as a COST center (quants and related roles are excluded).

as compared to tech tech companies where they see swe as revenue generating, it is unlikely that a bank will pay their cost centers more than a tech company will pay their money makers. so i would say ur hypothetical scenario is quite unlikely to happen in the first place.

but if this really happens, then like i said above you have to think about what is impt to you. for me im more interested in the exit opportunities and experience and technical skills to gain. for eg, if the bank only uses some java springboot stack that some ppl alr consider legacy, compared to a more modern stack like graphql and react, then my choice is clear.
Old 17-04-2022, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgrad View Post

haha nah man, not the one with H.

good on you man! finding an offer that you like! hmmm i think dont be too hopeful about learning from senior devs i think its rly team dependent ofc im hopeful to have good seniors and a good team lead as well but better to expect nth and be pleasantly surprised than to be sorely disappointed.

haha start believing in yourself more its honestly rly doable. take things in your stride, dont be too stressed about things out of your control. give it your best effort and whatever comes will come.
Old 17-04-2022, 10:25 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
i mean in that case you have to think about what is impt to you. but the fact of the matter is banks still see tech as a COST center (quants and related roles are excluded).

as compared to tech tech companies where they see swe as revenue generating, it is unlikely that a bank will pay their cost centers more than a tech company will pay their money makers. so i would say ur hypothetical scenario is quite unlikely to happen in the first place.

but if this really happens, then like i said above you have to think about what is impt to you. for me im more interested in the exit opportunities and experience and technical skills to gain. for eg, if the bank only uses some java springboot stack that some ppl alr consider legacy, compared to a more modern stack like graphql and react, then my choice is clear.
You realise that Spring and GraphQL/React are used for completely different purposes right? Spring is for the backend, React is for the frontend.

Most banks are using React just like tech firms. Also, a lot of tech companies are using Spring, even top paying crypto firms are hiring Java dev right out of college for 150k TC.

Also, if you're in an IB bank instead of local banks like DBS etc, wouldn't you be in the trading department rather than the back office department? The hypothetical case that I'm describing is what is happening to me, so it is not unlikely.