What are some good non-fang tech companies? - Page 7 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

What are some good non-fang tech companies?

Old 05-05-2022, 11:01 AM

Raymond is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The good thing is that this is changing. Banks are now hiring tech employees at record levels, and they're fighting hard against their competition, which gives an upward pressure on salaries. I was in banking tech not too long ago, and I saw no less than 4 new hires from FAANG (albeit at VP level and above). The competition between banks, and with Fintechs means that management is waking up their idea on treating tech as a cost centre.

It also makes a big difference which team you're in. If you're working on new modernisation projects, the skills you get are a lot more sellable. If you're mostly supporting BAU on legacy services, then it can be quite a dead end if you do it for long.
Not really. Banks have remained more or less the same, offering similar pay range for the past 2-3 years.

The general consensus in the tech community is that once you have vested all your stocks in FAANG, you either stay on and go for E7/L7 and retire or join banks for a downgrade in salary and a significantly easier WLB.

No offence but your observed anecdotal evidence has been happening the past 5-10 years, nothing much has changed. Your last line is also a pretty obvious take, not sure if there's even a point mentioning it. It's equivalent to saying "if you join a awful company, you will have a bad time." Yeah duh.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
NCS is a dogshit garbage company, anyone who applied and got an offer knows that you need to tell them your previous pay and send them payslips before they even offer you a number...

so disgusting, no technical interview either, only behavioral. 100% sure their devs are all trash tier.
true, worst company ever, not sure how they get so many gov outsource jobs in the first place, now gov trying to ditch them

Old 05-05-2022, 12:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The good thing is that this is changing. Banks are now hiring tech employees at record levels, and they're fighting hard against their competition, which gives an upward pressure on salaries. I was in banking tech not too long ago, and I saw no less than 4 new hires from FAANG (albeit at VP level and above). The competition between banks, and with Fintechs means that management is waking up their idea on treating tech as a cost centre.

It also makes a big difference which team you're in. If you're working on new modernisation projects, the skills you get are a lot more sellable. If you're mostly supporting BAU on legacy services, then it can be quite a dead end if you do it for long.
what are u high on? the term 'cost centre' is not a label where the bank can simply change like that lol. you clearly do not know banking well, so please just stfu.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Your last line is also a pretty obvious take, not sure if there's even a point mentioning it. It's equivalent to saying "if you join a awful company, you will have a bad time." Yeah duh.
Lol if it's such an obvious take, then why are people throwing shade and making blanket statements about banking tech?
Old 05-05-2022, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
what are u high on? the term 'cost centre' is not a label where the bank can simply change like that lol. you clearly do not know banking well, so please just stfu.
Err...it's a mindset shift. It doesn't happen overnight. There's a lot of attrition going on in banking tech because of opportunities elsewhere, and yet banks are announcing goals of adding net increases in their tech workforce by the thousands. If this is the official policy, do you think nothing is changing?

If your salary isn't going up, don't blame anyone else.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:31 PM

Raymond is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lol if it's such an obvious take, then why are people throwing shade and making blanket statements about banking tech?
You wrote,

This is an obvious take that adds nothing to your initial argument about how bank treats tech like a cost center. To me it just seems like you don't really know what you're talking about and wanted to add something obvious at the end of your statement to give yourself more credibility.

If you're actually serious, maybe make an account and provide some valid counter-arguments. Otherwise I'll just assume you're trolling and you're not even a SWE / SDE.

No offence, I am just genuinely curious about your initial claim and want to know more. I frequent TeamBlind and CSCareerquestion often, I've heard of the opposite of what you're claiming so far from actual tech employees working in bank so I'm wondering if this is a regional thing.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Err...it's a mindset shift. It doesn't happen overnight. There's a lot of attrition going on in banking tech because of opportunities elsewhere, and yet banks are announcing goals of adding net increases in their tech workforce by the thousands. If this is the official policy, do you think nothing is changing?

If your salary isn't going up, don't blame anyone else.
whether a department is a cost centre or not, it depends on whether the team generates revenue. so how exactly can tech be revenue generating dumbshit
Old 05-05-2022, 06:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

i have to agree with others on here, i legit dont know what the fk you talkin about , just cos u saw a few FAANG people in ur company bank or wherever the fk u work at , how does that mean banks are NOT treating tech as a cost center ? LOL

banks mass hiring fresh grads doesnt mean anything bro theyve been doing that for the past 5 years , u look at SEED , UOB , OCBC programmes etc , they mass hire a pool of tech people where 80% of them are trash and the 20% who actually wants to get into fintech , end up leaving after 1-2 years in the programme anyway
Old 10-05-2022, 02:45 PM
Verified Member

shootingmen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i have to agree with others on here, i legit dont know what the fk you talkin about , just cos u saw a few FAANG people in ur company bank or wherever the fk u work at , how does that mean banks are NOT treating tech as a cost center ? LOL

banks mass hiring fresh grads doesnt mean anything bro theyve been doing that for the past 5 years , u look at SEED , UOB , OCBC programmes etc , they mass hire a pool of tech people where 80% of them are trash and the 20% who actually wants to get into fintech , end up leaving after 1-2 years in the programme anyway
I think he's referring to bulge bracket banks, not the likes of SEED etc. DBS etc probably don't deal with trading applications as much as bulge bracket banks do. You think the fresh grads getting paid 7-8k starting salary as SWE in bank tech is trash? LMFAO.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingmen View Post
I think he's referring to bulge bracket banks, not the likes of SEED etc. DBS etc probably don't deal with trading applications as much as bulge bracket banks do. You think the fresh grads getting paid 7-8k starting salary as SWE in bank tech is trash? LMFAO.
Imagine bumping a old thread to reply to some retard going off-topic in it and trying to defend said person.

Cringe