Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What are some good non-fang tech companies?
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2022, 10:25 PM
Verified Member

shootingmen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i mean in that case you have to think about what is impt to you. but the fact of the matter is banks still see tech as a COST center (quants and related roles are excluded).

as compared to tech tech companies where they see swe as revenue generating, it is unlikely that a bank will pay their cost centers more than a tech company will pay their money makers. so i would say ur hypothetical scenario is quite unlikely to happen in the first place.

but if this really happens, then like i said above you have to think about what is impt to you. for me im more interested in the exit opportunities and experience and technical skills to gain. for eg, if the bank only uses some java springboot stack that some ppl alr consider legacy, compared to a more modern stack like graphql and react, then my choice is clear.
You realise that Spring and GraphQL/React are used for completely different purposes right? Spring is for the backend, React is for the frontend.

Most banks are using React just like tech firms. Also, a lot of tech companies are using Spring, even top paying crypto firms are hiring Java dev right out of college for 150k TC.

Also, if you're in an IB bank instead of local banks like DBS etc, wouldn't you be in the trading department rather than the back office department? The hypothetical case that I'm describing is what is happening to me, so it is not unlikely.