Job Offer Advise - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Job Offer Advise

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 09:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

what's there to worry? 3 year contract is almost as good as permanent. by the end of 3 year, you'd acquired more experience and will start to look for your next step-up anyway. 50% increment is very rare and take the 3 year as added job security

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 09:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Job offer

Given your age and the job offer, would say go for it.

Sounds really legit.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

I guess I am a little apprehensive because I don't really know how contract jobs work. From what I've been told, there are some differences between the perm staff vs contract workers, for example no access to gym facilities, but the important stuff like medical insurance is the same.

Don't want to come across as someone just seeking validation or humble bragging. Thanks a lot for all the opinions given! I've decided to accept the role.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Like to hitch on this thread for advice.

Some years back, I stopped work for awhile and joined the current company, with nearly 20% paycut. I am with them for 2 years.
Work-life balance (WLB) is decent, and colleagues are fine too.
However the pay is stagnant. The company doesnít give yearly increment and bonus is low.
I am unsure whether to seek better opportunities, and risk sacrificing WLB.
If I donít look out now, I may be stuck with this company since I am already 40 years old.

So pay vs WLB, what do you advise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Like to hitch on this thread for advice.

Some years back, I stopped work for awhile and joined the current company, with nearly 20% paycut. I am with them for 2 years.
Work-life balance (WLB) is decent, and colleagues are fine too.
However the pay is stagnant. The company doesnít give yearly increment and bonus is low.
I am unsure whether to seek better opportunities, and risk sacrificing WLB.
If I donít look out now, I may be stuck with this company since I am already 40 years old.

So pay vs WLB, what do you advise? Thanks.
It's a little hard to say for sure as it depends on your commitments. For example, a sole breadwinner with elderly parents to provide and care for would probably prioritise higher pay rather than WLB.

For me, I look for jobs with regular office hours, and don't mind occasionally attending night calls. That's my personal tolerance.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2021, 02:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Job Offer Advise (Govt)

1. Was recently offered a job at a quasi-govt company and I verbally agreed to the offer. $3000 base pay. Received the Letter of appointment today and was told to sign and return by 10 May.

2. Also received a call from a govt company today for interview on 10 May. From what I know govt companies pay more for fresh grads because of the MX scheme and so I am in a dilemma, of whether to go for the interview.

3. If I go for the interview and am offered, is it against the law to back out of the quasi-govt company even though I have signed? The contract does not seem to have any legally binding clause but just asking in case.

Please help a confused fresh grad out!
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2021, 11:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. Was recently offered a job at a quasi-govt company and I verbally agreed to the offer. $3000 base pay. Received the Letter of appointment today and was told to sign and return by 10 May.

2. Also received a call from a govt company today for interview on 10 May. From what I know govt companies pay more for fresh grads because of the MX scheme and so I am in a dilemma, of whether to go for the interview.

3. If I go for the interview and am offered, is it against the law to back out of the quasi-govt company even though I have signed? The contract does not seem to have any legally binding clause but just asking in case.

Please help a confused fresh grad out!
Dear fresh grad, is the quasi-govt company a GLC? GLCs do not pay well at all. I learnt this the hard way. I joined a GLC as a fresh grad with S$3k pay. Left after 2 yrs+ and joined another GLC. My experience in both GLCs are that the pay and increment are low. I am jumping out from my GLC soon.

Please go for the interview at the government. Do not worry too much about backing out of an offer. It happens more commonly than you think.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2021, 12:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGozt View Post
I guess I am a little apprehensive because I don't really know how contract jobs work. From what I've been told, there are some differences between the perm staff vs contract workers, for example no access to gym facilities, but the important stuff like medical insurance is the same.

Don't want to come across as someone just seeking validation or humble bragging. Thanks a lot for all the opinions given! I've decided to accept the role.
Contract positions can negatively affect career if you dont play your cards right. From someone whos been there...
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2021, 07:10 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Contract positions can negatively affect career if you dont play your cards right. From someone whos been there...
Card to share more?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dear fresh grad, is the quasi-govt company a GLC? GLCs do not pay well at all. I learnt this the hard way. I joined a GLC as a fresh grad with S$3k pay. Left after 2 yrs+ and joined another GLC. My experience in both GLCs are that the pay and increment are low. I am jumping out from my GLC soon.

Please go for the interview at the government. Do not worry too much about backing out of an offer. It happens more commonly than you think.
Thank you kind soul! I will go for the govt interview and then decide which job is better if I receive an offer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advise on new offer (Should i jump?) Toolbox Income and Jobs 4 15-02-2021 11:16 AM
If accepted a job offer, can accept another offer which comes before the start? dreamzknight Income and Jobs 5 01-04-2018 05:44 PM
[Seeking advise] Evaluating job offer Silver Income and Jobs 6 15-02-2017 05:07 PM
please advise ...please ...... 前路茫茫 Income and Jobs 6 23-09-2015 03:01 PM
advise greengrass Income and Jobs 3 15-12-2009 12:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,113 Replies, 1,331,122 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 153,903 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,736 Replies, 7,495,028 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,933 Replies, 1,463,884 Views
Working in a bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
527 Replies, 343,276 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
247 Replies, 106,856 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,208 Replies, 2,597,666 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
475 Replies, 289,140 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,382 Replies, 4,838,901 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
290 Replies, 112,473 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
139 Replies, 101,470 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,784 Replies, 4,420,399 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 112,317 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,111 Replies, 272,595 Views
JTC (Jurong Town Corporation) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 40,400 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 69,265 Views
Can share your your car... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 14,620 Views
IB Salaries in SG (BBs and EBs...
0 Replies, 87 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,291 Replies, 652,744 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,442 Replies, 1,398,267 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,073 Replies, 2,580,919 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 172,479 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
106 Replies, 139,251 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
125 Replies, 45,487 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
503 Replies, 347,266 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
170 Replies, 69,021 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,068 Replies, 568,436 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 148,872 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,155 Replies, 1,722,023 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,879 Replies, 629,909 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2