Job Offer Advise - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Job Offer Advise

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 23
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default Job Offer Advise

Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions on my current situation.

I'm 32 this year with 5.5 years of working experience.

My current role is a quality engineer in a medical device MNC manufacturing pacemakers, and my current monthly salary is S$4,400 with 15% VB and 1 month AWS.

I got a job offer from a competitor MNC for a senior quality engineer role, and the monthly salary is S$6,750 with 2 month bonus and 1 month AWS. The $ increase in salary is around 50% which I understand is relatively large, however the caveat is that this is a 3 year contract position. Pretty unusual from my understanding to have a contract this long, as most contracts are 6 months to 1 year, but nonetheless it is still a contract position with no guarantee that it will be extended.

What do you all think?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14-04-2021, 04:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGozt View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions on my current situation.

I'm 32 this year with 5.5 years of working experience.

My current role is a quality engineer in a medical device MNC manufacturing pacemakers, and my current monthly salary is S$4,400 with 15% VB and 1 month AWS.

I got a job offer from a competitor MNC for a senior quality engineer role, and the monthly salary is S$6,750 with 2 month bonus and 1 month AWS. The $ increase in salary is around 50% which I understand is relatively large, however the caveat is that this is a 3 year contract position. Pretty unusual from my understanding to have a contract this long, as most contracts are 6 months to 1 year, but nonetheless it is still a contract position with no guarantee that it will be extended.

What do you all think?
I say go for it. Given your experience and demand from the competitor, I believe you'll do a good job. Even if you stay in your current role for "job stability", things may change very quickly given today's environment, e.g. retrenchment if the company isn't doing well.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14-04-2021, 05:24 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Chua is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGozt View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions on my current situation.

I'm 32 this year with 5.5 years of working experience.

My current role is a quality engineer in a medical device MNC manufacturing pacemakers, and my current monthly salary is S$4,400 with 15% VB and 1 month AWS.

I got a job offer from a competitor MNC for a senior quality engineer role, and the monthly salary is S$6,750 with 2 month bonus and 1 month AWS. The $ increase in salary is around 50% which I understand is relatively large, however the caveat is that this is a 3 year contract position. Pretty unusual from my understanding to have a contract this long, as most contracts are 6 months to 1 year, but nonetheless it is still a contract position with no guarantee that it will be extended.

What do you all think?
I believe your competitor has won some contract or forecast a business opportunity for the next 3 years that need more expertise in the area you fulfill. I am sure your competitor recognizes the value you have been creating and the potential value you will create for them. The sudden surge in wage is to compensate the need for your sacrifice to take on a contract role. Contract roles in MNC normally pay better than permanent roles due to the uncertainty and expiry. As a contract senior quality engineer, making around 6k+ a month is rather normal. If you check statistics on Glassdoor, MNC senior quality engineers are slightly higher than 6K/mth averagely. So having 6.7K in the medical sector is reasonable considering your impact and challenges of your 'expire-able' employment.

I second the opinion from the other member that you should go for it because...

1. You are only 32 now so at the end of the contract, you will be 35 but even if you don't get an extension, you will still be 'young' enough to find another job relatively easily. Take a little bit of pay cut, you will still be reasonably compensated.

2. Employed in a competing MNC in the medical sector makes you remain desirable for re-hiring given the exposure and MNC mindset which many SMEs find valuable (If you unfortunately have to leave at the end of the 3 years) But I am sure you can find employment in another MNC provided the situation does not crash like Lehmans and COVID

3. 3 months before your contract ends, you can do an evaluation of your employment extension prospects and decide if you should prepare for an exit. Ample time to find new jobs with good planning. No one knows what is going to happen 3 years from now. But you can be sure that with your experience in the medical sector, you can continue to stay sought after.

4. Although I am not quality trained, I deal with a lot of quality engineers and some of those who are good, leave the MNC and start practicing as consultants, switch to 3rd party auditing to stay relevant and employed. An extra option you can consider if you are not extending. If opportunities don't favour your continuation as a Quality engineer, being in the quality engineer role, you can convert to project management roles by starting with a PMP certificate. Your experience and knowledge of the industry can give you a chance against competitors. Keep up with the ASQ CQE certification, Lean Six Sigma training if you can, get those lead auditors certifications of various standards and stay competitive during the next 3 years

Lastly, congratulations! I wish you the best in your future.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2021, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 70
COVID-19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Kns, even my permanent job in a stat board also no have 13 month or 2 month bonus. I don't care if it's contract or temp, as long as pay me money can liao. I never stayed beyond 2 years anywhere anyway. Pls take the opportunity! Your old place dont appreciate you, they never raise your salary.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 07:22 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 23
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks both, appreciate the feedback. I'm also a bit hesitant because there might not be a salary review or incremental pay raise for the contract job. But I think currently the benefits outweigh the risks.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 07:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Must finish the contract? Can consider leaving halfway through the contract and use the higher base salary to go somewhere better

But of course need see your commitments,
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 07:56 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 23
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Must finish the contract? Can consider leaving halfway through the contract and use the higher base salary to go somewhere better

But of course need see your commitments,
I don't have to finish the contract, I can leave anytime I want.

I admit that I've thought about that, but the base salary is already slightly inflated due to it being a contract role. From what I've researched before applying, contract roles typically are higher than similar perm roles simply due to the lack of job stability, and the additional risks that are associated with that.

If I do quit and move to another company, am I obliged to declare if my previous role was a perm/contract role?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 23
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chua View Post
I believe your competitor has won some contract or forecast a business opportunity for the next 3 years that need more expertise in the area you fulfill. I am sure your competitor recognizes the value you have been creating and the potential value you will create for them. The sudden surge in wage is to compensate the need for your sacrifice to take on a contract role. Contract roles in MNC normally pay better than permanent roles due to the uncertainty and expiry. As a contract senior quality engineer, making around 6k+ a month is rather normal. If you check statistics on Glassdoor, MNC senior quality engineers are slightly higher than 6K/mth averagely. So having 6.7K in the medical sector is reasonable considering your impact and challenges of your 'expire-able' employment.

I second the opinion from the other member that you should go for it because...

1. You are only 32 now so at the end of the contract, you will be 35 but even if you don't get an extension, you will still be 'young' enough to find another job relatively easily. Take a little bit of pay cut, you will still be reasonably compensated.

2. Employed in a competing MNC in the medical sector makes you remain desirable for re-hiring given the exposure and MNC mindset which many SMEs find valuable (If you unfortunately have to leave at the end of the 3 years) But I am sure you can find employment in another MNC provided the situation does not crash like Lehmans and COVID

3. 3 months before your contract ends, you can do an evaluation of your employment extension prospects and decide if you should prepare for an exit. Ample time to find new jobs with good planning. No one knows what is going to happen 3 years from now. But you can be sure that with your experience in the medical sector, you can continue to stay sought after.

4. Although I am not quality trained, I deal with a lot of quality engineers and some of those who are good, leave the MNC and start practicing as consultants, switch to 3rd party auditing to stay relevant and employed. An extra option you can consider if you are not extending. If opportunities don't favour your continuation as a Quality engineer, being in the quality engineer role, you can convert to project management roles by starting with a PMP certificate. Your experience and knowledge of the industry can give you a chance against competitors. Keep up with the ASQ CQE certification, Lean Six Sigma training if you can, get those lead auditors certifications of various standards and stay competitive during the next 3 years

Lastly, congratulations! I wish you the best in your future.
Wow this is a really detailed and insightful response, thank you very much for taking the time to pen it down.

I do agree with your views regarding employability, so I think I shouldn't worry so much in that aspect.

I do have lead auditor certification for ISO13485:2016. ASQ CQE would certainly be the next step for me. Great advice!

Are you in the medical device sector as well?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 13
alex_lu is on a distinguished road
Default

You must be a fool not taking this offer. The overall package is 55% better than your current one, this is like life-time opportunity. And if you are interviewed with another company, they are not interested in if you are contracted or perm, but the length of service and what you do there.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 12:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sounds like a good offer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advise on new offer (Should i jump?) Toolbox Income and Jobs 4 15-02-2021 11:16 AM
If accepted a job offer, can accept another offer which comes before the start? dreamzknight Income and Jobs 5 01-04-2018 05:44 PM
[Seeking advise] Evaluating job offer Silver Income and Jobs 6 15-02-2017 05:07 PM
please advise ...please ...... 前路茫茫 Income and Jobs 6 23-09-2015 03:01 PM
advise greengrass Income and Jobs 3 15-12-2009 12:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,374 Replies, 1,164,097 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,200 Replies, 3,924,486 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
383 Replies, 180,604 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,039 Replies, 7,116,647 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,162 Replies, 2,878,338 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 142,817 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,835 Replies, 9,596,987 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,139 Replies, 953,592 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
555 Replies, 213,991 Views
Electrical Engineering Jobs in...
1 Replies, 221 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
522 Replies, 284,270 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 68,033 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 289,958 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,493 Replies, 722,884 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,112 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,136 Replies, 438,042 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
392 Replies, 431,923 Views
How to make money online as a...
2 Replies, 1,399 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 113,577 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
348 Replies, 142,178 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 180,143 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,470 Replies, 2,528,629 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
559 Replies, 231,640 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,521 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
727 Replies, 203,943 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
335 Replies, 109,589 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,278 Replies, 2,109,411 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,225 Replies, 587,804 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,373 Replies, 758,131 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,685 Replies, 3,309,746 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2