15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic - Page 88 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The daily routine depends on a lot of things, including what is your given teaching load in comparison to the other activities or things you're also involved in. But for new hires within their first one year, typically, activities will include:

1) Teaching - and this depends on department needs and what is the school 'norm' for teaching load, could be anywhere between 12 to 22 hours/week
2) Subject development -depending whether materials already exist, its state of maturity/need for revision, or if you're coming from industry, a revision to reflect new practices or tools
3) Pedagogy and new staff training - many schools have a standard list of training activities that they put their new hires through, e.g. instructional methods, classroom management, HR orientation, syllabus writing;
4) Lesson observation - departments may also attach you to mentors who'll invite you to sit into their classes to observe how they run their classes, and vice-versa to give you feedback

As a rule, new hires aren't usually dropped into committees within their first year unless you're coming in as a PAX 4 to which you're expected to hit the ground running.

The daily routine changes once you're an experienced staff, naturally. As I said above, you'll be involved in key projects, event organization, committees etc. Your teaching load does not necessarily get lessened significantly - only that you're now expected to juggle multiple things at a time.
Really appreciate your info on this! Its really helpful n kind of u! Kinda like excited about it although all look so alien to me...i guess the rest will have to depend on my Lord...last question,which part of Sg does ur poly belongs to...?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Unregistered

I'll rather not say. Answering what part of Singapore will make obvious what Poly I'm in.

Quote:
Really appreciate your info on this! Its really helpful n kind of u! Kinda like excited about it although all look so alien to me...i guess the rest will have to depend on my Lord...last question,which part of Sg does ur poly belongs to...?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'll rather not say. Answering what part of Singapore will make obvious what Poly I'm in.
What are you scared of? You think there is only 1 person who is employed by that poly? Even if you tell the name of your poly, no one will know about you. Only thing we will get to know is about the culture in your poly, which is what we all want to know and poly names help because different polys will have different cultures.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Assuming that your 12 years work experience was all in industry and exactly relevant to the course and subject matter you're teaching, IMO $4,800 seems somewhat on the low side. Based on my ballpark estimation of other staff, your awarded could be slightly higher by a couple hundred.

That's not to dissuade you from accepting the offer though - depends on how important it is for you to be employed, and if you're comfortable with the work scope at Poly.

The amount of OT differs from department to department, school to school. Citing one school as an example, staff do come back on Saturdays now and then (perhaps about 7-8 times a year) for the major outreach events like Open House, competitions for secondary school students and the like - but nothing too frequent and these normally are planned well in advanced in the calendar year. As for having to stay back after work, it depends on how effectively you use your time in the office. Most teaching staff do not normally stay well into evenings to finish work (managerial staff are a different story however).

Your first year or so can be very tough as you'll need to get used to the system of procedures, subject development, classroom management, administration, and learn to handle many things at a time. But it eases up in this aspect after a year or two though you'll get challenged in different ways, especially involvement into key projects, adhoc committees.

I've been in the Poly now for a number of years, grown with it, and promoted and reasonably compensated for what I do. There are ups and downs and periods of real intensity, but on balance, it's been rewarding for me at least.
Overtime depends on the kind of module you teach.
Which poly exempt staff from committee work in first year??? So welfare.
Truth is New hires get committee work as soon as they start!!!!!!
You need to prove yourself....
Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

you mean your current drawn pay is $4800 per month?
Poly should have no problem matching that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletree View Post
Hi everyone, need some advice from Poly lecturers who had industry experience. I am currently waiting to get a reply for my 2nd interview from a poly. But then I just received a email from the CM that Poly cant match my current pay. I have a Masters and with 12 yrs work experience, drawing about $4800..Can anyone advice if the salary can be negotiable?

Another thing is that, I have children and really wish to have a work life balance. But I heard that teaching in Poly is not as easy as before..need to to OT.. Is it true? Anyone here from Poly in the east can share their teaching experience? Can survive based on the passion for teaching even though pay is low and workload is higher... After looking through the comments in this forum, teaching in Poly is not as rewarding after all...

For all advices, TIA!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

do not accept anything less than PAX4...senior lecturer around 5k above

Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What are you scared of? You think there is only 1 person who is employed by that poly? Even if you tell the name of your poly, no one will know about you. Only thing we will get to know is about the culture in your poly, which is what we all want to know and poly names help because different polys will have different cultures.
So can u explain a bit about the culture of the 5 poly?

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Appletree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
you mean your current drawn pay is $4800 per month?
Poly should have no problem matching that.
ya..drawing $4800 monthly. I though my salary is already on the low side...so cant imagine if poly offers lower..
BTW, gg for my 2nd interview (formal one) soon. Any lecturers can share their experience during their last interviews? What are the common interview questions that they like to ask? Usually how many candidates will be short-listed?

TIA!
Old 19-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone can share their teaching experience in the east?
Old 19-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletree View Post
ya..drawing $4800 monthly. I though my salary is already on the low side...so cant imagine if poly offers lower..
BTW, gg for my 2nd interview (formal one) soon. Any lecturers can share their experience during their last interviews? What are the common interview questions that they like to ask? Usually how many candidates will be short-listed?

TIA!
just a guess...

you applied for a post in RP?