Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The daily routine depends on a lot of things, including what is your given teaching load in comparison to the other activities or things you're also involved in. But for new hires within their first one year, typically, activities will include:

1) Teaching - and this depends on department needs and what is the school 'norm' for teaching load, could be anywhere between 12 to 22 hours/week
2) Subject development -depending whether materials already exist, its state of maturity/need for revision, or if you're coming from industry, a revision to reflect new practices or tools
3) Pedagogy and new staff training - many schools have a standard list of training activities that they put their new hires through, e.g. instructional methods, classroom management, HR orientation, syllabus writing;
4) Lesson observation - departments may also attach you to mentors who'll invite you to sit into their classes to observe how they run their classes, and vice-versa to give you feedback

As a rule, new hires aren't usually dropped into committees within their first year unless you're coming in as a PAX 4 to which you're expected to hit the ground running.

The daily routine changes once you're an experienced staff, naturally. As I said above, you'll be involved in key projects, event organization, committees etc. Your teaching load does not necessarily get lessened significantly - only that you're now expected to juggle multiple things at a time.
Really appreciate your info on this! Its really helpful n kind of u! Kinda like excited about it although all look so alien to me...i guess the rest will have to depend on my Lord...last question,which part of Sg does ur poly belongs to...?