Civil Service: Questions about the working environment in Ministries etc - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Civil Service: Questions about the working environment in Ministries etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Dazzled is on a distinguished road
Default Civil Service: Questions about the working environment in Ministries etc

I've read through a lot of the threads here, while I have an idea or two about salaries, I'm still not sure about the working environment in ministries, job scope, advancement, work load etc etc

It would be good to learn from other people's experiences and advice (especially when I'm a newly-minted fresh grad) so that I can better prepare myself and helpful for other people who are interested to know more too!

I might sound idealistic but I really want to do my part for Singapore and give my best in service.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
I've read through a lot of the threads here, while I have an idea or two about salaries, I'm still not sure about the working environment in ministries, job scope, advancement, work load etc etc

It would be good to learn from other people's experiences and advice (especially when I'm a newly-minted fresh grad) so that I can better prepare myself and helpful for other people who are interested to know more too!

I might sound idealistic but I really want to do my part for Singapore and give my best in service.
Wah... do your part for Singapore eh? How about you join PAP or NTUC... can earn millions!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Dazzled is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wah... do your part for Singapore eh? How about you join PAP or NTUC... can earn millions!
Hmm, since this is an online forum and not a face-to-face conversation where I can judge your tone and expression, I shall try not to read sarcasm in your words.

Still on the look-out for sincere replies!



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 02:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
k3vin is on a distinguished road
Default

right, i am also graduating soon.

you can easily find information about your queries from other threads.

Jobscope, workload definitely depends on ministry you go to, department and position.

Advancement, unless you are a scholar or have fch, likely to be stifled at MX11 for a while unless you really perform well. Usually you start at grads of MX13 or MX12 depending on current working experience/honours. Most fresh grads start at 13 and move on to 12 after 2 years or so of service.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
right, i am also graduating soon.

you can easily find information about your queries from other threads.

Jobscope, workload definitely depends on ministry you go to, department and position.

Advancement, unless you are a scholar or have fch, likely to be stifled at MX11 for a while unless you really perform well. Usually you start at grads of MX13 or MX12 depending on current working experience/honours. Most fresh grads start at 13 and move on to 12 after 2 years or so of service.
fch? 10char
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Dazzled is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi k3vin, yeap before posting the thread I tried searching the forums for information regarding working in a ministry, however most of the information wasn't concentrated in a fixed topic but as posts in different threads, and didn't offer the kind of in-depth sharing or knowledge that I hope to look for (also because the ministries I was looking for weren't listed). I was thinking this thread might gather the different opinions into one topic that is easier to categorise so people won't have to hunt all over the threads

Will gladly appreciate links that are helpful too!
Actually I wasn't too sure what the pay grade is (MX13, 12 and so on does it stand for management executive? Singapore's penchant for acronyms makes me ???? sometimes heheh ). Alas I have neither first-class nor a scholarship, but I'm hopeful that it doesn't mean you'll forever be behind just because you don't have exceptional qualifications. As God wills.

What does it mean to perform well? Are there civil servants here who actually enjoy their job? Tongue-in-cheek.

All the schemes here and there reminds me of the time in Primary four when they have streaming into EM1, 2 or 3, or after PSLE when they stream you into Special, Express or Normal in Secondary School. Or in JCs when they stream you into Arts and Science. Hahahah.

Any information to offer regarding ministries such as MICA, MCYS and PMO?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
Hi k3vin, yeap before posting the thread I tried searching the forums for information regarding working in a ministry, however most of the information wasn't concentrated in a fixed topic but as posts in different threads, and didn't offer the kind of in-depth sharing or knowledge that I hope to look for (also because the ministries I was looking for weren't listed). I was thinking this thread might gather the different opinions into one topic that is easier to categorise so people won't have to hunt all over the threads

Will gladly appreciate links that are helpful too!
Actually I wasn't too sure what the pay grade is (MX13, 12 and so on does it stand for management executive? Singapore's penchant for acronyms makes me ???? sometimes heheh ). Alas I have neither first-class nor a scholarship, but I'm hopeful that it doesn't mean you'll forever be behind just because you don't have exceptional qualifications. As God wills.

What does it mean to perform well? Are there civil servants here who actually enjoy their job? Tongue-in-cheek.

All the schemes here and there reminds me of the time in Primary four when they have streaming into EM1, 2 or 3, or after PSLE when they stream you into Special, Express or Normal in Secondary School. Or in JCs when they stream you into Arts and Science. Hahahah.

Any information to offer regarding ministries such as MICA, MCYS and PMO?
you will almost definitely be behind those with higher qualifications and scholarships. That's how the civil service works. Unless you suddenly show a great aptitude at work and your bosses like you, you might go far. Else for most normal grads, your ceiling is MX10.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
shaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi there, I've been in a large Ministry for about 6 years and have had 2 promotions thus far (now MX11). I agree with other posts that normal graduates would reach their ceiling CEP of MX10 unless they do really really well. But MX10 is not a sneeze either commanding a pay of $7000-$10000 - a rank equivalent to a LTC/Col in the army.

The Civil Service is huge... almost mafia-like. You just need to make sure you go to a Ministry that is most relevant to you (e.g. Education = MOE; Finance = MOF; Social Work = MCYS, etc).

But most of the MXOs are generalists and there are many non-specialists areas within a particular Ministry (e.g. there's a finance department in every Ministry). An officer with decent attitude, performance and leadership qualities will most likely be at least a Head/middle manager within 5-10 years. You move up faster if you get opportunities...

Scholars tend to go higher faster but they too face stiff competition at their level and end up being dissatisfied if they're not top management material. My advise, do something you like and the money will eventually come
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
k3vin is on a distinguished road
Default

Actually Shaz, whats a type position for a typical MX10 officer? AD?

Curious because I am weighing up positions from a local MNC affiliated to gov and some positions in ministries.

Non-scholar. 2nd upper fass deg.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
shaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
Actually Shaz, whats a type position for a typical MX10 officer? AD?

Curious because I am weighing up positions from a local MNC affiliated to gov and some positions in ministries.

Non-scholar. 2nd upper fass deg.
MX10 for my Ministry is Asst Director.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil service, environment, ministry

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Performance Bonus hello_all Income and Jobs 2681 Yesterday 09:49 PM
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 149 15-06-2021 09:35 AM
From civil service to banks alwaysnforever Income and Jobs 25 08-06-2013 08:06 PM
Civil Service Salary Scales keith_3891 Income and Jobs 5 09-04-2011 11:45 PM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,468 Replies, 697,879 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,912 Replies, 4,294,192 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
432 Replies, 102,012 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,474 Replies, 4,247,760 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,853 Replies, 1,637,009 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
550 Replies, 418,536 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 3,022 Views
Starter job for HR
0 Replies, 57 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,910 Replies, 2,415,395 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 13,657 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,930 Replies, 466,853 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
417 Replies, 293,414 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,681 Replies, 1,982,406 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 34,438 Views
Finance Student Career Advice ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 1,687 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 25,636 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
988 Replies, 708,831 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 436,722 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,511 Replies, 1,327,407 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,043 Replies, 1,631,255 Views
which have a better prospect,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 10,903 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 915,355 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,051 Replies, 1,130,506 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
446 Replies, 248,473 Views
What MAP should I apply?...
9 Replies, 2,260 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 63,464 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,048 Replies, 1,276,668 Views
Civil engineering pay
6 Replies, 1,708 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
452 Replies, 356,778 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2