Civil Service: Questions about the working environment in Ministries etc - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Civil Service: Questions about the working environment in Ministries etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 89
blackswan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
Hi there, I've been in a large Ministry for about 6 years and have had 2 promotions thus far (now MX11). I agree with other posts that normal graduates would reach their ceiling CEP of MX10 unless they do really really well. But MX10 is not a sneeze either commanding a pay of $7000-$10000 - a rank equivalent to a LTC/Col in the army.

The Civil Service is huge... almost mafia-like. You just need to make sure you go to a Ministry that is most relevant to you (e.g. Education = MOE; Finance = MOF; Social Work = MCYS, etc).

But most of the MXOs are generalists and there are many non-specialists areas within a particular Ministry (e.g. there's a finance department in every Ministry). An officer with decent attitude, performance and leadership qualities will most likely be at least a Head/middle manager within 5-10 years. You move up faster if you get opportunities...

Scholars tend to go higher faster but they too face stiff competition at their level and end up being dissatisfied if they're not top management material. My advise, do something you like and the money will eventually come
i agree... when u do something u like you are likely to do a better job....

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
MX10 for my Ministry is Asst Director.
MX10 for the Ministry that I used to be is Senior Assistant Director or Deputy Director, with the latter usually reserved for those with higher potential.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
Hmm, since this is an online forum and not a face-to-face conversation where I can judge your tone and expression, I shall try not to read sarcasm in your words.

Still on the look-out for sincere replies!

I believe the dude was sincere.
Where else can you find a part-time job that pays $15K per month?

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe the dude was sincere.
Where else can you find a part-time job that pays $15K per month?
15k a month for 6 years is a million bucks. part-time job. and you get to do public service too.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
15k a month for 6 years is a million bucks. part-time job. and you get to do public service too.
are you still considering joining as candidate with ruling party?
15k/mth not bad!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
are you still considering joining as candidate with ruling party?
15k/mth not bad!
Are you as talented as tin pei ling? PM says talented people are extremely rare in Singapore. You are unlikely to be talented, otherwise you would have already been approached and fielded by them, like tin pei ling.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why not consider the teaching profession too?It may not sound prestigious or glamorous but even if u were to progress steadily as a classroom teacher,you would eventually end up with a resonable pay of $7,500 per month after a few years
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
15k a month for 6 years is a million bucks. part-time job. and you get to do public service too.
Really sincere advice, zero sarcasm.
TS should consider.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I believe my experience should be relevent for the threadstarter. I was in your position exactly 1 year ago. NUS FASS 2nd Lower. And i took up a job with one of the stat boards. Started at MX12.

1) You need to believe in what you are doing. Mine is a very important job where i deal with issues regarding something that is most important to Singaporeans. And as such i take my job very seriously.

2) Mine is a frontline job, The public may be appreciative of what you do, but they may also turn nasty if they do not get what they want. What i can only do is to take pride in those that i have helped and try my best for the rest.

3) People performing the same roles as me are very friendly and helpful, regardless of seniority. There is a sense of togetherness in the same section/unit. However, this togetherness wanes as your go further and further away (Cross-section, Cross-Department), and you can expect the red tape to be inversely proportional to togetherness.

4) There will actually be many other young people in the civil service, those that joined not long ago. Take your time to know them and take part in more activities. Having friends at work will make things a little easier and even more fun.

Ultimately, I believe that even though you may not get the riches and luxuries that the private sector may potentially give you, but the civil service is definitely less brutal and more family friendly.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe my experience should be relevent for the threadstarter. I was in your position exactly 1 year ago. NUS FASS 2nd Lower. And i took up a job with one of the stat boards. Started at MX12.

1) You need to believe in what you are doing. Mine is a very important job where i deal with issues regarding something that is most important to Singaporeans. And as such i take my job very seriously.

2) Mine is a frontline job, The public may be appreciative of what you do, but they may also turn nasty if they do not get what they want. What i can only do is to take pride in those that i have helped and try my best for the rest.

3) People performing the same roles as me are very friendly and helpful, regardless of seniority. There is a sense of togetherness in the same section/unit. However, this togetherness wanes as your go further and further away (Cross-section, Cross-Department), and you can expect the red tape to be inversely proportional to togetherness.

4) There will actually be many other young people in the civil service, those that joined not long ago. Take your time to know them and take part in more activities. Having friends at work will make things a little easier and even more fun.

Ultimately, I believe that even though you may not get the riches and luxuries that the private sector may potentially give you, but the civil service is definitely less brutal and more family friendly.
jus wondering ... how they choose who go in as MX12 or MX 13?
btw since u say its stat board and some stat boards have their own schemes .....so im assuming ur stat board follow civil service's MX scheme directly?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil service, environment, ministry

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Performance Bonus hello_all Income and Jobs 2682 03-08-2021 12:53 PM
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 149 15-06-2021 09:35 AM
From civil service to banks alwaysnforever Income and Jobs 25 08-06-2013 08:06 PM
Civil Service Salary Scales keith_3891 Income and Jobs 5 09-04-2011 11:45 PM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
547 Replies, 106,678 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
715 Replies, 169,804 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,816 Replies, 2,381,338 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,065 Replies, 1,135,836 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,057 Replies, 1,634,802 Views
How much does influencers make... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 3,883 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,957 Replies, 4,314,220 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,255 Replies, 918,098 Views
Job Advice:Is it better to start... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 2,491 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,473 Replies, 699,993 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,486 Replies, 4,254,186 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,918 Replies, 2,422,199 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
453 Replies, 357,793 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,866 Replies, 1,645,528 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,273 Replies, 7,127,893 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,250 Replies, 619,998 Views
Starter job for HR
5 Replies, 300 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 3,536 Views
Tech Public Sector vs Non FAANG...
7 Replies, 820 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
418 Replies, 295,422 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,518 Replies, 1,332,202 Views
Can I start new employment while... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 3,020 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
551 Replies, 420,720 Views
Anyone heard of being a ship... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
77 Replies, 192,398 Views
Starting business as civil service ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 6,155 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
990 Replies, 711,198 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
246 Replies, 203,268 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,932 Replies, 470,812 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 25,006 Views
Looking for working partners for...
4 Replies, 2,141 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2