Whats your net worth - Page 242 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

Whats your net worth

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Unregistered_101

Hi Uncle MK

Thanks for replying,

I will google up what you mentioned and try to brush up on my analysis skills.

I do see property investment as one of my stronger points, but of course still a lot to learn to this regard thankfully there are many good property related blogs around. As you know the property market has a longer cyclical period and it can be 5 years or so before timing comes right to enter the market. I built up a small war chest to either pay up my mortgage if things get really bad or to reinvest back into the property market if the timing is right. In the meantime they languish in a Fixed Deposit earning minimal interest, the stock market interest I suppose is to find a way to get a better interest & return during the 3/5 years between peak and trough. Not to mention liquidity.

The experiences shared by local friend from personal business experiences are interesting but the more interesting stories I hear are from my overseas friends who sometime face certain life threatening situations during business dealings, corruption, protest etc Its something not many locals are exposed to due to our regulated / safe environments.

From your experiences be great if you could share and instance where you had a very challenging situation and how it was overcome (i.e, sheer luck, timing, perseverance), and how many people are working in your firm and do you feel a sense of responsibility to them and their families to keep the company profitable or maybe people management if it came to terminating their employment etc

Have a good weekend.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle MK View Post
To the post by 101,

Thank you for the well wishes. Uncle does't know about any magic formula but this quantitative guide; Business Nature, Management Style, Financials and Valuations. In this case, observe the guide to learn about fundamentals before making a decision.

Since you're into properties, why not continue progressing in a cautious manner. Perhaps, your strength lies at property investing. Sometimes, uncle attributed this ability to passion and experiences.

To your kins, it must be close misses and shaves. Traumatic and Exciting I should say.

Yes, I may reveal some non-sensitive information but only when I can recall interesting ones, anonymity provides a good way to share humble experiences. What are you interested to know?

Take care.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Uncle MK

Default Leverage or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered_101 View Post
Hi Uncle MK

Thanks for replying,

I will google up what you mentioned and try to brush up on my analysis skills.

I do see property investment as one of my stronger points, but of course still a lot to learn to this regard thankfully there are many good property related blogs around. As you know the property market has a longer cyclical period and it can be 5 years or so before timing comes right to enter the market. I built up a small war chest to either pay up my mortgage if things get really bad or to reinvest back into the property market if the timing is right. In the meantime they languish in a Fixed Deposit earning minimal interest, the stock market interest I suppose is to find a way to get a better interest & return during the 3/5 years between peak and trough. Not to mention liquidity.

The experiences shared by local friend from personal business experiences are interesting but the more interesting stories I hear are from my overseas friends who sometime face certain life threatening situations during business dealings, corruption, protest etc Its something not many locals are exposed to due to our regulated / safe environments.

From your experiences be great if you could share and instance where you had a very challenging situation and how it was overcome (i.e, sheer luck, timing, perseverance), and how many people are working in your firm and do you feel a sense of responsibility to them and their families to keep the company profitable or maybe people management if it came to terminating their employment etc

Have a good weekend.
Regards
To the post by 101

Uncle suggests you to keep focus on one asset class mastery before the next.

Since investors/bankers/radicals are more educated today, this cyclical trend seems to be evolutionary. I respect your decision in maintaining a liquid war chest to take advantage during bloodbaths. A few managers of mine are leveraged on foreign properties with lower capital outlay but similar appreciation.

Indeed, Singapore citizens should be thankful. Oh yes, one of my subsidiaries, known as TCN and SG is PCN, has been dissolved due to political pressures/influences. For the sake of revenues, the subsidiary cooked the books and involved in unethical practices hence the decision to force majure. Come to think about it, close to 500K yearly revenue depleted.

Well, uncle may even write a book on his experiences! Just a note to aspiring entrepreneurs, initial phase of progression is close to 100hrs/week. Rethink on being playful*

Take care

Old 14-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Undergraduate

Default What is the basic networth now?

Hello uncle MK and all,

Kindly enlighten this young freshie on the formula to calculate networth? Frankly speaking, I should be in the negative territory due to loans and deficit budget.

Forgive me for saying but this forum is a home to high-flying executives and many condos snapping up are self-explanatory

Old 15-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Uncle MK

Default Simplified calculations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undergraduate View Post
Hello uncle MK and all,

Kindly enlighten this young freshie on the formula to calculate networth? Frankly speaking, I should be in the negative territory due to loans and deficit budget.

Forgive me for saying but this forum is a home to high-flying executives and many condos snapping up are self-explanatory
To the post by Undergraduate,

Take this formula: Intended working period X Base pay = networth

This is a simplified one and all things equal. As uncle always mention, hedge financial portfolio with insurance while diversifying out with more than one income source.

As a fresh graduate, never indulge into lavish lifestyles, well not until you managed to control expenditure.
Old 15-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Unregistered_101

Thanks for the words of advise Uncle MK,

I did look at some overseas properties but its hard to leap into without someone on the ground or least with experience advising the pitfalls not to mention contacts on the group to get things sorted. Lately I've been looking at Jakarta property with a friend so I hope that will turn out fruitful.

Sorry to hear about the fraud, must be really hard especially when it done by someone you entrust. I hope that person who did it got what he deserved!

Heh you might wanna consider publishing a blog for starters for your stories, pepper it with some investment advise and views on stock and you just might have a winner

Look forward to reading your post on the forum.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle MK View Post
To the post by 101

Uncle suggests you to keep focus on one asset class mastery before the next.

Since investors/bankers/radicals are more educated today, this cyclical trend seems to be evolutionary. I respect your decision in maintaining a liquid war chest to take advantage during bloodbaths. A few managers of mine are leveraged on foreign properties with lower capital outlay but similar appreciation.

Indeed, Singapore citizens should be thankful. Oh yes, one of my subsidiaries, known as TCN and SG is PCN, has been dissolved due to political pressures/influences. For the sake of revenues, the subsidiary cooked the books and involved in unethical practices hence the decision to force majure. Come to think about it, close to 500K yearly revenue depleted.

Well, uncle may even write a book on his experiences! Just a note to aspiring entrepreneurs, initial phase of progression is close to 100hrs/week. Rethink on being playful*

Take care
Old 16-12-2015, 11:33 PM

Car Enthusiast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banking professionals View Post
Age 39 and 37

Landed property less loan: $1.9M
Cash and stocks: $800K
Unit trust and endowments: $200K
Cpf: $100K
Car value less loan: $50K
Overseas property: $350K

Total: $3.4M

Still far from our retirement target of $10M
You kidding me, is it? You really need $10M to retire comfortably?

Old 16-12-2015, 11:36 PM

Car Enthusiast is on a distinguished road

I am feeling pretty depressed. My wife earns over $250K per annum but she spends more than half of it on luxury items like Hermes Birkin Bags. If only she allows me to invest her money in stable blue chips, we would be laughing all the way to the bank by now.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Unregistered_101

Well take comfort in knowing you have a capable wife who at least spends her own money on such luxuries.

Like you I see it as a waste of money, but so long as she spends while she earns it would not be hugely detrimental. Its only if she spends without that kind of earning power that's a huge issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Enthusiast View Post
I am feeling pretty depressed. My wife earns over $250K per annum but she spends more than half of it on luxury items like Hermes Birkin Bags. If only she allows me to invest her money in stable blue chips, we would be laughing all the way to the bank by now.
Old 21-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Unregistered

27 Years Old
Diploma grad working as enforcement officer
(Unemployed for many years which drained all my savings.)

Cash: $5,000
CPF: $2,000
Stocks: $1,000

Total networth: $8,000
Old 21-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
27 Years Old
Diploma grad working as enforcement officer
(Unemployed for many years which drained all my savings.)

Cash: $5,000
CPF: $2,000
Stocks: $1,000

Total networth: $8,000
Oh, my take home annual salary is currently $25,000.
Most of which pays for bills and rents.