Too many foreigners in Singapore? (Poll) - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Too many foreigners in Singapore? (Poll)

View Poll Results: Are there too many foreigners in Singapore?
I'm a citizen - Yes, there are too many foreigners. 159 67.09%
I'm a citizen - No, the number of foreigners is OK. 16 6.75%
I'm a PR - Yes, there are too many foreigners. 28 11.81%
I'm a PR - No, the number of foreigners is OK. 13 5.49%
I'm a foreigner - Yes, there are too many foreigners. 12 5.06%
I'm a foreigner - No, the number of foreigners is OK. 9 3.80%
Voters: 237. This poll is closed

Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your PROPERTIES. I guess you are in the minority then. How many of those "wannabes" can even afford to smell a second property? Many fresh graduates can't even afford a HDB flat nowadays. I'm one of them, and I hope I'm in the silent MAJORITY.

The problem with Singapore is that it is a good place for the rich and all kinds of foreigners, whether they are the blue collar types (they make good money and go back much richer), or the white collar types (they make even more money and got taxed less than their home countries, and they can choose to stay or go back). As for the poorer true blue Singaporeans, they can only hope to survive in this pressure cooker system where things are getting more expensive but salaries for them stay stagnant.
Young man, evidently you haven't been studying Singapore's demographics. Singaporeans are mainly old people like 40-60. The 2 child policy made your generation very small. That's why they import so many foreigners because there aren't enough of you to pay enough taxes to support our aging population. So your voice is less powerful than the older generation. You are a minority when it comes to voting. Foreigners who convert will usually vote for the govt.

Just heard from someone that unemployment among American fresh graduates is 25%! I'm sure many of them are trying to get over here so count your blessings that you are Singaporean

Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

It used to be when Singaporean forumers were disgruntled over foreigners they would threaten to migrate. However now that there is nowhere in the west to go, they claim to be patriotic and ask the Govt to throw out foreigners

Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your PROPERTIES. I guess you are in the minority then. How many of those "wannabes" can even afford to smell a second property? Many fresh graduates can't even afford a HDB flat nowadays. I'm one of them, and I hope I'm in the silent MAJORITY.
The deal is this. Graduate, work for about 5 years. Find a partner. Use your CPF for a HDB flat downpayment and your combined CPF contribution to service the HDB loan. This still holds true as long as you buy a new flat in a non-prime area.

However, if you want a HDB resale flat in Queenstown, then you have to work a lot harder. Its not your right to afford to live in the tastiest parts of Singapore.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It used to be when Singaporean forumers were disgruntled over foreigners they would threaten to migrate. However now that there is nowhere in the west to go, they claim to be patriotic and ask the Govt to throw out foreigners
Thats because people from the west are begging for jobs everywhere in Asia.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Fortunately, not all Singaporeans are like the fellow you are arguing with. In fact, I'll say that he is in the minority. I'll call him "FT wannabe". I, for one, believe that the FTs like you are beneficial to the country and that the current open door policy to them should stay. However, there are a fair number of my bros who think just like the FT wannabe because they got stuck in their jobs due to FT. They are active on forums now because they think the election is coming. However, most Singaporeans really don't care about the type of FT like you that is causing the FT wannabe to be stuck in his low position. They are more irritated with having mainland chinese and banglas all around them doing the cleaning and serving jobs. They are also more worried about things like the cost of healthcare and public transport. When the Govt wins the election then FT wannabe and his bros will go hide in the closet for another few years. FT wannabe and his bros have no political power given Singapore's demographics (they are a small group) and how good the Govt is at running elections. So, Mr FT, just keep working to make our economy great so that my properties prices keep on going up. Hahaha
You sound more like a FT wannabe, so pathetic...
Old 09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Young man, evidently you haven't been studying Singapore's demographics. Singaporeans are mainly old people like 40-60. The 2 child policy made your generation very small. That's why they import so many foreigners because there aren't enough of you to pay enough taxes to support our aging population. So your voice is less powerful than the older generation. You are a minority when it comes to voting. Foreigners who convert will usually vote for the govt.

Just heard from someone that unemployment among American fresh graduates is 25%! I'm sure many of them are trying to get over here so count your blessings that you are Singaporean
Dude, whatever you are smoking, you gotta stop! Get your facts right and don't misinform the masses.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I read what I wrote and still think I'm better in reading than you You like putting words in peoples mouth like "you brag about...", but that just reflects negatively on the way you think and act. You ask foreigners to contribute in a positive way, but you are nothing but negative.

It's clear that those who pay more taxes support Singapore and contribute to "nation building". This is the same nation building as a local's opportunity costs like your army service. Locals also have benefits like CPF, HDB, Edusave, topups, free shares. The Government is very generous to Singaporeans. Primary and secondary education is good and cheap. So is healthcare etc. Not quite the same for foreigners here.

You overgeneralize by saying "Everybody pays taxes", perhaps in GST but compared to most countries, the bulk of the income tax here is paid by the upper class. The middle class and lower classes don't pay much income tax, if any at all. Therefore, foreigners like me contribute disproporionately to nation building. GST of 7% is actually very low internationally.

Yes, indeed I should spare the pleasantries with you especially when you criticize by calling people names like opportunist and claim that foreigners are incompetent, but supported by bias Singaporean bosses. I didn't claim I was understanding, just that I understood your particular bitterness and understand why you rant. You use words to attack others that make no sense, but a bitter man can only see the wrong in everything. It takes talent to judge talent or trash. Trash can't judge.
Two long paragraphs of craps, LOL. Thats why we can judge you but you can't, get it?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Unregistered

Default Lazy dude

I dont understand you people...why do you feel so negative about having too many FTs? I am from a poor country in Asia, just got a job offered with an MNC.. Of course the reason I want to work in SG is only the money. So what? So see you soon all the Singaporeans who are narrow minded and stupid!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I dont understand you people...why do you feel so negative about having too many FTs? I am from a poor country in Asia, just got a job offered with an MNC.. Of course the reason I want to work in SG is only the money. So what? So see you soon all the Singaporeans who are narrow minded and stupid!
Some citizens think FTs like yourself take away their jobs. That's why they are upset. They claim you can squeeze into a 3-rm flat with 5 friends thus paying a rent of $300 each, you have no car and no kids (so no exam stress), and you don't need to serve NS (do you know what this is?) - and so you can afford to ask for low pay and work long hours. When you earn enough, you will get the hell out of here and retire a rich man in your homeland.

Singaporeans will continue to struggle to match your super low pay. We have no cheap place to retire to. Our kids will continue to live in a pressure-cooker system with an unsympathetic government asking us to be cheaper, better and faster. While salaries of top government people go up by leaps and bounds, the man in the street sees his pay go down in real terms with costs of everything going up.

So yes, we are stupid and narrow minded. You are the clever one.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

GTFO troll, I also FT from poor country, but I not as retard as you coz I know what respect means.

Quote: