How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 656 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #6551 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2023, 10:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is there moderation in mmed? Last year many couldn't do the retinitis pigmentosa case, but they didn't moderate.
How u know didn't moderate?
Sometimes the fail criteria is set very clearly.
If u breach it, u fail.
This kind,moderate also no point unless majority of examiner feedback that the station was so twisted that they discount the station all together.
Happens when all the sp somehow because of the way the sp script is written lead every candidate down the wrong path.
But that usually don't happen because the questions
are read , calibrated and tested so many times.
There are many techniques to test it
Some of the exam com doing this for 20 plus years so they seldom screw up also

Reply With Quote
  #6552 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 07:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How u know didn't moderate?
Sometimes the fail criteria is set very clearly.
If u breach it, u fail.
This kind,moderate also no point unless majority of examiner feedback that the station was so twisted that they discount the station all together.
Happens when all the sp somehow because of the way the sp script is written lead every candidate down the wrong path.
But that usually don't happen because the questions
are read , calibrated and tested so many times.
There are many techniques to test it
Some of the exam com doing this for 20 plus years so they seldom screw up also
Ya, I meant if the whole cohort all breach the fail criteria, they also won't moderate right (i.e change the criteria)
E.g If the whole cohort can't diagnose retinitis pigmentosa, (last year, which is a pass/fail criteria) they won't moderate the criteria, (to change it to diagnosis not necessary, as long as refer eye, can pass, for e.g)

Reply With Quote
  #6553 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 07:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How u know didn't moderate?
Sometimes the fail criteria is set very clearly.
If u breach it, u fail.
This kind,moderate also no point unless majority of examiner feedback that the station was so twisted that they discount the station all together.
Happens when all the sp somehow because of the way the sp script is written lead every candidate down the wrong path.
But that usually don't happen because the questions
are read , calibrated and tested so many times.
There are many techniques to test it
Some of the exam com doing this for 20 plus years so they seldom screw up also
Ya, but if too many people breach the fail criteria, (e.g cannot diagnose retinitis pigmentosa), they also won't moderate/change the criteria right?

Reply With Quote
  #6554 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 09:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are a doctor. How can you talk like that? You are more than compensated for being a doctor already.
Politicians hold a more heavy responsibility than doctors.
I disagree. I am a strong believer that physicians can be excellent while being well paid at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. And in fact, patients are more than willing to pay for excellent clinical acumen.

My preceptor charges $900 for a 1h consultation (does not include any labs/procedures/medications), yet still has a wait list of 3 months to see them, because patients know that they are the true expert in this field and are willing to do what it takes to get better.
Reply With Quote
  #6555 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 01:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree. I am a strong believer that physicians can be excellent while being well paid at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. And in fact, patients are more than willing to pay for excellent clinical acumen.

My preceptor charges $900 for a 1h consultation (does not include any labs/procedures/medications), yet still has a wait list of 3 months to see them, because patients know that they are the true expert in this field and are willing to do what it takes to get better.
Cool story bro
Reply With Quote
  #6556 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 02:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree. I am a strong believer that physicians can be excellent while being well paid at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. And in fact, patients are more than willing to pay for excellent clinical acumen.

My preceptor charges $900 for a 1h consultation (does not include any labs/procedures/medications), yet still has a wait list of 3 months to see them, because patients know that they are the true expert in this field and are willing to do what it takes to get better.
is your preceptor Dr. Gregory House?
i would pay $900 to meet him too
Reply With Quote

  #6557 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 05:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how today exams?
believe me when i said quite confident about the pass rate?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6558 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 06:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
how today exams?
believe me when i said quite confident about the pass rate?
Hopefully they will accept OA knee for the knee pain case (and not just patellofemoral syndrome)
HFpEF forgot to offer vaccines again....
Hopefully examiner show mercy... Sobz.
Reply With Quote
  #6559 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 06:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hopefully they will accept OA knee for the knee pain case (and not just patellofemoral syndrome)
HFpEF forgot to offer vaccines again....
Hopefully examiner show mercy... Sobz.
i think the XR wasnt so obvious for OA Knee though
Reply With Quote
  #6560 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2023, 07:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i think the XR wasnt so obvious for OA Knee though
Ya I say xr knee normal. Examination also normal except for positive patella grind test.
But OA knee can have normal XR in early stages
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 3 04-08-2022 11:49 PM
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,240 Replies, 6,375,243 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,755 Replies, 1,010,013 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,880 Replies, 10,176,311 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,744 Replies, 1,347,682 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,242 Replies, 12,280,022 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,294 Replies, 983,678 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,070 Replies, 3,671,094 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,650 Replies, 4,845,236 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,755 Replies, 1,471,885 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,916 Replies, 2,875,951 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,395 Replies, 1,339,684 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,780 Replies, 4,571,844 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
621 Replies, 360,116 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,022 Replies, 423,453 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,177 Replies, 3,319,904 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,640 Replies, 1,491,043 Views
Aon Centre for Innovation and...
7 Replies, 5,582 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
482 Replies, 616,895 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 9,327 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
704 Replies, 522,063 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
884 Replies, 481,674 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
633 Replies, 319,004 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
9 Replies, 3,852 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
2 Replies, 648 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 97,249 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
414 Replies, 155,839 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,963 Replies, 2,090,431 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
418 Replies, 710,654 Views
Tuv Sud (TÜV SÜD)
2 Replies, 2,458 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,064 Replies, 2,239,746 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2