How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 104 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1031 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2020, 06:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Any hospitals implementing the 1 week stay in and 1 week out thing yet?



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1032 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would like to ask current or ex fam med residents. Where do most of the fam med residents go after they graduate from the residency programme? Do they stay on in polyclinic/government hospitals like comm hosp/do sub spec like Geri or sports medicine/go private?
If they stay on in polyclinic or government institution, do they function like a Mo/junior Rp and what is the pay range like?

Just curious, coming from a junior (ho) who is interested in FM.
Usually fm residents continue to stay in polyclinic as they have an mmed.
So they have a comparative advantage over peers with mmed in polyclinic. The pay with mmed and progression is quite respectable and income is not too bad plus dont need to work nights and sun.

Gps are usually gdfms. They go rotate sufficient mopexes see the world locum a bit. Then leave for pte sector.

Reply With Quote
  #1033 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi guys, really considering family med now. Is it oversubscribed now and are fam med physicians likely to run out of job in the future? How does it compare to like radiology or anesthesia? Thanks !

Reply With Quote
  #1034 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2020, 03:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, really considering family med now. Is it oversubscribed now and are fam med physicians likely to run out of job in the future? How does it compare to like radiology or anesthesia? Thanks !
I'd like to second this question, is anyone here in the family medicine residency and can shed some light on what the subscription situation is like? Is it severely oversubscribed?

I am a British UK graduate wanting to train in Family Medicine in Singapore. I have been offered a job as an MO to start in a couple of months. Does anyone know if foreign nationals are accepted into the Family Medicine Residency programme year-on-year? Do you only get accepted if you have full registration with SMC?

Also is the residency programme the only way to be able to work as a GP in Singapore or are there other training methods available?

Finally, if I were to complete GP Training in UK and move to Singapore afterwards, would that be a more viable option? Could I go straight into working as a GP there or would I have to go back to working at MO level in order to get full registration?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but I appreciate any answers! Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #1035 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2020, 11:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, really considering family med now. Is it oversubscribed now and are fam med physicians likely to run out of job in the future? How does it compare to like radiology or anesthesia? Thanks !
Given that they are planning to build more polyclinics, think fm should be fine for the next 3-5 years. But eventually all speciality will be over subscribed given that we have so many doctors nowadays (3 local med school plus IMG..)
Reply With Quote
  #1036 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2020, 04:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Given that they are planning to build more polyclinics, think fm should be fine for the next 3-5 years. But eventually all speciality will be over subscribed given that we have so many doctors nowadays (3 local med school plus IMG..)
Singapore is still trying hard to grow the population. I think the short term target is 7 million which is an increase of 50%? And then eventually 10 million which is double the current.

So there will be a growth in demand for sure.

Singapore is going to get even more crowded. More like China level crowded for a city.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote

  #1037 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Singapore is still trying hard to grow the population. I think the short term target is 7 million which is an increase of 50%? And then eventually 10 million which is double the current.

So there will be a growth in demand for sure.

Singapore is going to get even more crowded. More like China level crowded for a city.

Good luck!
We now got 5.7million.
7 million is an 1.3million or 22% increase

Where got 50% unless u expect a wipe out of 1million pop, bringing back to 4.7 million.
Then increase will be 50%


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1038 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2020, 12:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We now got 5.7million.
7 million is an 1.3million or 22% increase

Where got 50% unless u expect a wipe out of 1million pop, bringing back to 4.7 million.
Then increase will be 50%
ok lah. my bad. not a 50% increase. "only" 22% increase.

another 1.3million in that tiny red dot is still going to be A LOT OF PEOPLE! Seriously!

good luck!


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1039 (permalink)  
Old 15-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'd like to second this question, is anyone here in the family medicine residency and can shed some light on what the subscription situation is like? Is it severely oversubscribed?

I am a British UK graduate wanting to train in Family Medicine in Singapore. I have been offered a job as an MO to start in a couple of months. Does anyone know if foreign nationals are accepted into the Family Medicine Residency programme year-on-year? Do you only get accepted if you have full registration with SMC?

Also is the residency programme the only way to be able to work as a GP in Singapore or are there other training methods available?

Finally, if I were to complete GP Training in UK and move to Singapore afterwards, would that be a more viable option? Could I go straight into working as a GP there or would I have to go back to working at MO level in order to get full registration?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but I appreciate any answers! Thanks
Not sure about FM, but lots of residencies need citizenship or at least PR to get into noawadays.

As of now to be a GP:
finish medical school -> HO/F1 -> MO/SHO level until you get full registration (no training programme, essentially trying to aim for F2 jobs that will make you a better GP) -> leave to become GP. You can do a graduate diploma (GDFM) as well
or
finish medical school -> HO -> MO -> FM residency

From what I heard the first route might change in time but not too sure

Not sure about UK post CCT GP to singapore GP, I think it should be possible but will have to work in public polyclinics till you get full registration. If you google "family medicine singapore mrcgp", I believe MRCGP can get you admission as a member of the college of family medicine physicians.

From what I know, you have you have to be a Singaporean citizen to be a private GP (along with full registration).

Not sure why you want to come to singapore, are you of Asian descent or have family here? While UK GPs are already struggling with their 10 min slots, GPs in the public polyclinics can see 50 patients a morning. GP is quite popular now that residency for other specialties have over recruited, so there could be more difficulty getting a private clinic job in the future.
There is no EWTD to protect you here either as a MO, you will be slogging it out hard with 30h on-calls, and also have to learn the local languages for history taking. Without citizenship it might also be hard to get full registration.

UK GP is a pretty good job if you locum, even salaried GP is not too bad. Alternatively, finish UK GP and go to Australia, NZ or Canada, those are probably better gigs than Singapore.

I advise you to read all 100 pages of this thread, you will get a better insight into Singapore's working life, although there is a fair bit of spam and idiots replying.
Reply With Quote
  #1040 (permalink)  
Old 15-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anyone know about the job prospects for telemedicine?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Salaries for Tech Product Manager
2 Replies, 2,159 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
497 Replies, 16,675 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 17,049 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,136 Replies, 3,949,191 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
381 Replies, 208,763 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,196 Replies, 6,241,210 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,121 Replies, 871,618 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 27,046 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,570 Replies, 2,122,105 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
241 Replies, 38,773 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 6,718 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,039 Replies, 3,359,885 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,870 Replies, 1,247,329 Views
Assistant Director considered as... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,539 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
503 Replies, 150,818 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,070 Replies, 1,407,931 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 28,088 Views
How much does influencers make...
3 Replies, 607 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 7,782 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,027 Replies, 1,898,060 Views
Private Degree accepted in Govt... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 21,824 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 76,851 Views
Getting funded for university
3 Replies, 2,668 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,703 Replies, 1,060,360 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 3,149 Views
Usually is it ok to HR recruiters...
4 Replies, 1,212 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
186 Replies, 53,685 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 186,561 Views
Getting MBBS/MD in China and... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 13,329 Views
Covid-related job opportunities... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 827 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2