How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 102 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1011 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2020, 06:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm a medical student located in Sweden and I'm getting close to finishing school and getting my medical degree.
I've visited Singapore before and I enjoy the country a lot. At least from a tourist perspective.

I wonder how is the general life as a physician in Singapore?
In Sweden, doctors usually work 5 days per week and spend maybe 9-10 hours at work daily. How much you have to work at night depends on what specialization your doing but you always get the "day off" after a night shift.

Salary is approx (singapore dollars):

After receiving license: 5000
Specialist program (working towards becoming a specialist): 6300
Specialists: 9200 - 12000

By law, everyone gets AT LEAST 4 weeks free from week during the year. This does not include holidays like christmas etc. Those days are usually free off work or give a lot of extra salary.

----

As far as I've heard, most doctors in Singapore work far longer hours and more days than 5 days a week. But this seems to apply to a lot of countries outside of Scandinavia.
How are the salaries?

Thankful for any information about this.
Also, is it possible to work in Singapore only speaking English?

Our specialists earns more. I do see some Swedish profs working in Singapore. I think that is how we manage to attract them with a higher pay. Sweden pay structure is very fair And egalitarian.

Singapore side there are a lot of low wage workers and no universal healthcare. Higher GINI coefficient. But rewards the strong and enterprising.

Reply With Quote
  #1012 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2020, 07:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Sayonara is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Our specialists earns more. I do see some Swedish profs working in Singapore. I think that is how we manage to attract them with a higher pay. Sweden pay structure is very fair And egalitarian.

Singapore side there are a lot of low wage workers and no universal healthcare. Higher GINI coefficient. But rewards the strong and enterprising.
Thank you for your answer!
Could you be more specific regarding working hours, pay and such things?

Reply With Quote
  #1013 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
Thank you for your answer!
Could you be more specific regarding working hours, pay and such things?
Starting pay after internship/housemanship is about 4500. 500 clinical allowance per month.

Working hours abt 7.30am to 6pm weekdays
Sat and sun have to come back for at least one morning.

Each week u get a overnight call. Which u get about 200-300 depending whether it is public holiday or weekend or weekdays.

Leave is about 3 weeks.

Overall is tolerable. Most ppl leave in 5 years to become general practitioner.

Reply With Quote
  #1014 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Working at TTSH now. Leave is getting cancelled, everyone is getting activated for the wuhan mess.
Ridiculous situation esp with the pitiful bonus and zero gratitude the higher ups seem to be according to us
Think it is a known fact that juniors are always under appreciated in the public sector. After all we are small pawns being moved around in a large organization. Hence either you work your way up to the top or you leave the system and become a freelance (i.e locum)
Reply With Quote
  #1015 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Think it is a known fact that juniors are always under appreciated in the public sector. After all we are small pawns being moved around in a large organization. Hence either you work your way up to the top or you leave the system and become a freelance (i.e locum)
In China, doctors are being attacked and pay is low. So I say the situation in Singapore is v gd
Reply With Quote
  #1016 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Working at TTSH now. Leave is getting cancelled, everyone is getting activated for the wuhan mess.
Ridiculous situation esp with the pitiful bonus and zero gratitude the higher ups seem to be according to us
I swear all the people this generation all super soft one. When they meet some difficulties they will start complaining. Being a junior has always been this way, you have the least say as you have the least experience, you are not able to call the shots. This has always been the way in probably anywhere you go, everyone has been through that phase. I hope you became a doctor because you wanted to help people and not because you assumed that they are the biggest shot in the healthcare system.

Your life is not the worst, Doctors in Singapore back during the SARS crisis have been infected and even one died trying to treat the sick. Another user here also said that in China Doctors are attacked and are not paid well, many Doctors in China from other cities are also willing to risk their own lives and go into Wuhan to treat the sick. Would you have done the same? So just endure and do your job, remember why you’re in this line of work, to help the sick and the needy. If your whole goal is to just have an easy life, maybe dentistry would be something up your alley instead.
Reply With Quote

  #1017 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I swear all the people this generation all super soft one. When they meet some difficulties they will start complaining. Being a junior has always been this way, you have the least say as you have the least experience, you are not able to call the shots. This has always been the way in probably anywhere you go, everyone has been through that phase. I hope you became a doctor because you wanted to help people and not because you assumed that they are the biggest shot in the healthcare system.

Your life is not the worst, Doctors in Singapore back during the SARS crisis have been infected and even one died trying to treat the sick. Another user here also said that in China Doctors are attacked and are not paid well, many Doctors in China from other cities are also willing to risk their own lives and go into Wuhan to treat the sick. Would you have done the same? So just endure and do your job, remember why you’re in this line of work, to help the sick and the needy. If your whole goal is to just have an easy life, maybe dentistry would be something up your alley instead.
Im sorry. Im just a strawberry.
Reply With Quote
  #1018 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2020, 02:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I swear all the people this generation all super soft one. When they meet some difficulties they will start complaining. Being a junior has always been this way, you have the least say as you have the least experience, you are not able to call the shots. This has always been the way in probably anywhere you go, everyone has been through that phase. I hope you became a doctor because you wanted to help people and not because you assumed that they are the biggest shot in the healthcare system.

Your life is not the worst, Doctors in Singapore back during the SARS crisis have been infected and even one died trying to treat the sick. Another user here also said that in China Doctors are attacked and are not paid well, many Doctors in China from other cities are also willing to risk their own lives and go into Wuhan to treat the sick. Would you have done the same? So just endure and do your job, remember why you’re in this line of work, to help the sick and the needy. If your whole goal is to just have an easy life, maybe dentistry would be something up your alley instead.
At the end of the day, doctors are part of the society, and are in no way superior/inferior/different from others. Hence if the millenial generation has gone soft, obviously doctors will be the same as well..
Reply With Quote
  #1019 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how much does a fresh Assoc Consultant make these days?

200k pa all-in?


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1020 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I swear all the people this generation all super soft one. When they meet some difficulties they will start complaining. Being a junior has always been this way, you have the least say as you have the least experience, you are not able to call the shots. This has always been the way in probably anywhere you go, everyone has been through that phase. I hope you became a doctor because you wanted to help people and not because you assumed that they are the biggest shot in the healthcare system.

Your life is not the worst, Doctors in Singapore back during the SARS crisis have been infected and even one died trying to treat the sick. Another user here also said that in China Doctors are attacked and are not paid well, many Doctors in China from other cities are also willing to risk their own lives and go into Wuhan to treat the sick. Would you have done the same? So just endure and do your job, remember why you’re in this line of work, to help the sick and the needy. If your whole goal is to just have an easy life, maybe dentistry would be something up your alley instead.
Actually there were 2 doctors who died in Singapore during SARS.

Dr Ong Hok Su a Cardiology Medical Officer at TTSH who was aged 27 when he died.

Dr Alexandre Chao a vascular surgeon in SGH who was aged 37 when he died.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
497 Replies, 16,660 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 17,047 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,136 Replies, 3,949,094 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
381 Replies, 208,747 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,196 Replies, 6,241,105 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,121 Replies, 871,602 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 27,044 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,570 Replies, 2,122,085 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
241 Replies, 38,771 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 6,718 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,039 Replies, 3,359,819 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,870 Replies, 1,247,293 Views
Assistant Director considered as... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,538 Views
Salaries for Tech Product Manager
1 Replies, 2,158 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
503 Replies, 150,794 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,070 Replies, 1,407,914 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 28,081 Views
How much does influencers make...
3 Replies, 607 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 7,779 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,027 Replies, 1,898,004 Views
Private Degree accepted in Govt... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 21,823 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 76,848 Views
Getting funded for university
3 Replies, 2,668 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,703 Replies, 1,060,343 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 3,147 Views
Usually is it ok to HR recruiters...
4 Replies, 1,208 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
186 Replies, 53,670 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 186,559 Views
Getting MBBS/MD in China and... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 13,329 Views
Covid-related job opportunities... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 827 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2