Lawyer Salary - Page 75 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #741 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am considering a career in the legal sector as I have been offered a placing in the faculty of law in one of the local uni. However, i have multiple doubts and do not know anyone irl who can provide me with advice and the information online seems to be pretty vague. I would like to know what are the jobs available to law grads if they fail to secure a training contract upon graduation? Also, if I decide on a career switch after working for a few years as a lawyer, what other jobs will be available to me?

Reply With Quote
  #742 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Don't. Do. It.

It is highly overrated as a career.

Essentially, entrepreneurs are strikers, bankers and corporate people are mid field while lawyers are ball keepers.

Go into something else: For e.g. Business opens a lot more doors. One of my best friends got both law and business but decided to stick to law for the "prestige". He regrets it tremendously although he is currently doing his training contract at one of the big 4 firms.

The nature of work that you do is really doglike for the first few years. It can be things as stupid as counting the numbers of pages manually in a document. If you see yourself doing such doglike work, go ahead but don't say I never warned you.



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #743 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't. Do. It.

It is highly overrated as a career.

Essentially, entrepreneurs are strikers, bankers and corporate people are mid field while lawyers are ball keepers.

Go into something else: For e.g. Business opens a lot more doors. One of my best friends got both law and business but decided to stick to law for the "prestige". He regrets it tremendously although he is currently doing his training contract at one of the big 4 firms.

The nature of work that you do is really doglike for the first few years. It can be things as stupid as counting the numbers of pages manually in a document. If you see yourself doing such doglike work, go ahead but don't say I never warned you.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I originally intended to do a business degree but I felt that i was too generic. There is also a glut of ppl with a biz degree including those from private uni.. I considered doing an accountancy degree instead as I wanted a specialised degree. However, I realised that the nature of the auditing industry is similar to that of the legal one - long working hours etc. I'm really in a dilemma.. Also, isit really that hard to get a training contract? If i fail to secure one directly after graduation, is there anything i can do to get one? eg. work a few years in the industry as a paralegal before leveraging on working experience to land a training contract

Reply With Quote
  #744 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I originally intended to do a business degree but I felt that i was too generic. There is also a glut of ppl with a biz degree including those from private uni.. I considered doing an accountancy degree instead as I wanted a specialised degree. However, I realised that the nature of the auditing industry is similar to that of the legal one - long working hours etc. I'm really in a dilemma.. Also, isit really that hard to get a training contract? If i fail to secure one directly after graduation, is there anything i can do to get one? eg. work a few years in the industry as a paralegal before leveraging on working experience to land a training contract
Maybe before we answer your questions, you could provide the rest of us with a little more context? What were your motivations for applying to law school in the first place? You mentioned that you were worried about the long working hours and the current job market. Surely, you knew about these things before you applied. Why did you decide to apply?
Reply With Quote
  #745 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maybe before we answer your questions, you could provide the rest of us with a little more context? What were your motivations for applying to law school in the first place? You mentioned that you were worried about the long working hours and the current job market. Surely, you knew about these things before you applied. Why did you decide to apply?
He said he realized the long working hours. That doesn't mean he is worried about it.

As for the other response, I agree, lawyers are the ball keepers. But you don't need to heed his warning. Go for the law degree if you want the prestige. But I'll tell you upfront, I know the nature of the job and I for one do not look up to them because of their prestige.

I think this prestige associated with the law degree comes is a perception born in earlier years in the 80's by our parents but not relevant now.
Reply With Quote
  #746 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maybe before we answer your questions, you could provide the rest of us with a little more context? What were your motivations for applying to law school in the first place? You mentioned that you were worried about the long working hours and the current job market. Surely, you knew about these things before you applied. Why did you decide to apply?
I'm fine with long working hours. I'm just worried about the prospect if I do not do well enough to secure a training contract
Reply With Quote

  #747 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm fine with long working hours. I'm just worried about the prospect if I do not do well enough to secure a training contract
Are you studying law because of the prestige, and if so, from whom did you get the idea that studying law is prestigious? Parents, friends, newspaper, employers?
Reply With Quote
  #748 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm fine with long working hours. I'm just worried about the prospect if I do not do well enough to secure a training contract
I think you will most likely get a TC unless you're unbelievably lousy. In that case, like with any industry, prepare to dig a hole and hide.

I was the poster who advised you against doing law but you seem to have your head wrapped around it like it is something super prestigious. Go ahead and do it then? There isn't a need to keep thinking "what if I cmi", "what if I am cui"--> if you suck, there's no running from that fact. Unless you're a very pretty girl?

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #749 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Perhaps the prospective law student wishes something more tangible when the term 'long hours' is raised from time to time.

I've got friends in the big 4 telling me an average day is 11 pm. When deadlines are looming, 3-4 am days can be expected, and they still turn up to work by 9am. Or simply it's best to stay in the office overnight so that you can get the extra hours of sleep.

Oh, and they burn weekends too.

I've witnessed at one of the big 4, the tea lady comes around with snacks for 'tea time' at 6 pm. Going home at 7ish for these folks is considered as a half day.

Not to dissuade anyone from taking up this line of work, but I do admire those who are able to make it through the years under these conditions.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #750 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Perhaps the prospective law student wishes something more tangible when the term 'long hours' is raised from time to time.

I've got friends in the big 4 telling me an average day is 11 pm. When deadlines are looming, 3-4 am days can be expected, and they still turn up to work by 9am. Or simply it's best to stay in the office overnight so that you can get the extra hours of sleep.

Oh, and they burn weekends too.

I've witnessed at one of the big 4, the tea lady comes around with snacks for 'tea time' at 6 pm. Going home at 7ish for these folks is considered as a half day.

Not to dissuade anyone from taking up this line of work, but I do admire those who are able to make it through the years under these conditions.
How much are your friends getting for doing such work that requires long hours? SG$9k a month? Your answer will give the TS a better understanding of his pay out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,894 Replies, 1,747,002 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 53,735 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,741 Replies, 489,213 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,591 Replies, 975,540 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,043 Replies, 1,380,144 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,170 Replies, 203,255 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
614 Replies, 310,346 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 45,025 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,254 Replies, 1,018,167 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,853 Replies, 3,610,691 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 7,770 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,768 Replies, 829,831 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
382 Replies, 170,545 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement...
8 Replies, 2,757 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
288 Replies, 226,511 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,384 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
832 Replies, 418,758 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,865 Replies, 2,103,812 Views
Need career advice
4 Replies, 786 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
9 Replies, 1,162 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 21,763 Views
Career switches - job options and... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,357 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 71,154 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,370 Replies, 538,816 Views
Job search for returning...
1 Replies, 327 Views
Infineon Technologies
1 Replies, 250 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,065 Replies, 473,578 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 76,715 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 13,680 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,554 Replies, 1,221,033 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2