Lawyer Salary - Page 175 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1741 (permalink)  
Old 19-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shes not chio in real life leh. I met her in her office. She seems to have heavy eyebags. What a poor thing. Shes an associate (meaning she does the grunt work), but definitely a great law career awaiting for her in years to come.

dont mind me i'm just camping here for the chiobus

Reply With Quote
  #1742 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unfortunately, for most public service jobs would require you to be a qualified person with at least a few years of PQE. Even for legal counsel posts in ministries or statutory boards, they usually prefer candidates to be called to the bar.

Another option is applying to AGC as a DPP which doesn't require you to be called. But I heard from peers that AGC is on a hiring freeze due to the glut (confirmation needed). Apparently many graduates who could not secure a TC flocked to AGC.

How are your grades? AGC would require at least a 2.1.
Funny that you make AGC sound like a second best option or a dumping ground.

Its far harder to get in than any of the Big 4 for pete's sake.

Reply With Quote
  #1743 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 02:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would also recommend checking with your Part B lecturers. In my year, one of the lecturers asked and offered training/assoc positions in the even that we didn't already have offers.

We all did so didn't take him up on it.
Wow, so nice of him/her. I don't think such things happen anymore? What's more, most of my Part B lecturers (for corp at least) are from the big firms so I don't think they can just offer like that since it prolly has to be dept decision (which would also involve HR) nor do I think they really care tbh hahaha

Reply With Quote
  #1744 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Funny that you make AGC sound like a second best option or a dumping ground.

Its far harder to get in than any of the Big 4 for pete's sake.
Not really. AGC is a place where law grads who can't make it in private practice go to work. Most of the work like prosecuting mats for lame offences is meaningless
Reply With Quote
  #1745 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not really. AGC is a place where law grads who can't make it in private practice go to work. Most of the work like prosecuting mats for lame offences is meaningless
nice trolling, AGC is actually a fairly good place to walk. The combination of decent pay, good bonus, fairly good work-life balance, early trial experience, ability to do a wide variety of work due to the varied postings available, and decent prospects (within govt at least) is a rather good proposition as shown by the fact that they are very full and not really hiring.

at this stage, they are certainly harder to get in than big 4 (which takes 20-30 people per firm per year); the non-scholar intake of AGC/legal svc (outside jlc) has been <4 in recent years.
Reply With Quote
  #1746 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow, so nice of him/her. I don't think such things happen anymore? What's more, most of my Part B lecturers (for corp at least) are from the big firms so I don't think they can just offer like that since it prolly has to be dept decision (which would also involve HR) nor do I think they really care tbh hahaha
You will be surprised.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #1747 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nice trolling, AGC is actually a fairly good place to walk. The combination of decent pay, good bonus, fairly good work-life balance, early trial experience, ability to do a wide variety of work due to the varied postings available, and decent prospects (within govt at least) is a rather good proposition as shown by the fact that they are very full and not really hiring.

at this stage, they are certainly harder to get in than big 4 (which takes 20-30 people per firm per year); the non-scholar intake of AGC/legal svc (outside jlc) has been <4 in recent years.
Agree with ^

They've been on a hiring freeze for a while now, though that was the direction under the last AG. Don't think this is going to change though, considering how hit pay is in private sector atm.
Reply With Quote
  #1748 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nice trolling, AGC is actually a fairly good place to walk. The combination of decent pay, good bonus, fairly good work-life balance, early trial experience, ability to do a wide variety of work due to the varied postings available, and decent prospects (within govt at least) is a rather good proposition as shown by the fact that they are very full and not really hiring.

at this stage, they are certainly harder to get in than big 4 (which takes 20-30 people per firm per year); the non-scholar intake of AGC/legal svc (outside jlc) has been <4 in recent years.
Different poster here. C'mon, AGC pays a measly 3.8k starting to girls (with second uppers), what kind of salary is that? Guys who served NS get ~4.6k (with second uppers) because they are considered to have worked for 2 years. And the increment is also much lower - approximately $450 per year. After 5 years, girls earn only 5.2k while private practitioners would be earning 9-10k.

You sure AGC is good?
Reply With Quote
  #1749 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Different poster here. C'mon, AGC pays a measly 3.8k starting to girls (with second uppers), what kind of salary is that? Guys who served NS get ~4.6k (with second uppers) because they are considered to have worked for 2 years. And the increment is also much lower - approximately $450 per year. After 5 years, girls earn only 5.2k while private practitioners would be earning 9-10k.

You sure AGC is good?
1. agc pays full salary from day 1 of part b/rlt - that's at least a year of pay (1.5 for UK grads) that can offset some of the gains the pte sector people make after they get called.
2. agc follows gahmen bonus scheme, i.e. 13 month bonus, random mid year and end year bonuses etc and perf bonus. an avg performer can easily collect 4-5 months bonus in total. nowadays the law firms don't pay much bonus if at all.
3. agc sponsors LLM; private firms hardly do.

plus other fringe benefits like better work life balance and good job stability, not like big firms where they may push you out if they dont like your face or if you dont make partner.

and i doubt someone with 5 years of experience in legal svc only earns 5.2k.
Reply With Quote
  #1750 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What is the latest updates on the committee to look into training contracts situation that was announced more than a year ago?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 873 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,099 Replies, 5,269,034 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 14,634 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,298 Replies, 1,463,843 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 8,146 Views
Save A LOT on your Vitamins
5 Replies, 3,038 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,683 Replies, 1,009,811 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 1,839 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 1,607 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 13,639 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 11,427 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,572 Replies, 1,215,167 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
877 Replies, 715,009 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,949 Replies, 2,179,398 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
243 Replies, 73,132 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
659 Replies, 324,413 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 79,446 Views
No progression in civil service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 20,633 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,867 Replies, 3,643,429 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency...
5 Replies, 584 Views
is computer science a good choice... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 927 Views
Apple background check hireright
9 Replies, 514 Views
Apple Grading Analyst - Siri
0 Replies, 116 Views
Anyone heard of being a ship... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 172,088 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
390 Replies, 69,085 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 120,190 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,080 Replies, 842,372 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,966 Replies, 1,796,549 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2