Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 25-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is wrong with "end[ing] their legal and professional careers"? That's exactly what the 6 cheaters deserve. They cheat on a bar exam today, they cheat their clients tomorrow. Their names have already been circulating among lawyers. It's a matter of time until someone like Charles Yeo publishes their names.
Ya lor. Law soc disciplinary cases splash the lawyers name all over town, in many cases ending viable careers. I don't see why it should be any different for trainees seeking admission.

Old 25-04-2022, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
WTF? Are you one of the cheats? SILE should take responsibility?

You cheats deserve harsher sanctions.

I am the poster of that thread and I am not speaking up for them. I think you misunderstand what I have said. Just to be clear, I saw this from an academic on LinkedIn amidst the discussion:

“I thought I should point out that there is a primary disciplinary process for these trainees, aside from the legal profession admissions process.

Under the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 2011, the Director of the Part B Course may report examination cheating incidents, or instances of fraud or dishonesty, to the Student Disciplinary Committee for investigation (R10(2)), without even issuing a letter of warning. The Board of Directors of SILE (after considering the report and recommendations from the Student Disciplinary Committee) can make several decisions: these include expulsion, suspension, revoking of any certificate issued by SILE etc (R12).”

From a legal perspective, they seem already to have been punished in some sense. Whether that is enough, maybe yes. Majority of the public feel that it is a light slap on the wrist. At the same time , there is no criminal offence that has been committed, and the current case, as I see it in the judgment, is an AAS application and not a disciplinary proceeding.

That’s why I meant that SILE should also be transparent with the process. Not saying that the cheaters should be sentenced to a lighter punishment.

Old 25-04-2022, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya lor. Law soc disciplinary cases splash the lawyers name all over town, in many cases ending viable careers. I don't see why it should be any different for trainees seeking admission.
The cheats are still with their firms?

Old 25-04-2022, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because they are not admitted yet, so legally not subject to the LawSoc rules, and not even a lawyer yet. In any case I doubt they will even be admitted after the public outrage, so it has be weighed accordingly whether you want to ruin their careers outside of law, I would advise those people to find a different career at this point. Their names are all out.

They should have just disbarred them to prevent all this controversy tbh. Not sure what SILE and LawSoc are doing. Revealing their names just makes the legal profession look bad. At this point, do you really think there are only 11 people?
Old 25-04-2022, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
WTF? Are you one of the cheats? SILE should take responsibility?

You cheats deserve harsher sanctions.
It's amusing that any different viewpoint to understand the process classifies one as being a cheat. Are you even a qualified lawyer? You should probably go back to your third-rate university to learn about basic legal reasoning.
Old 25-04-2022, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because they are not admitted yet, so legally not subject to the LawSoc rules, and not even a lawyer yet. In any case I doubt they will even be admitted after the public outrage, so it has be weighed accordingly whether you want to ruin their careers outside of law, I would advise those people to find a different career at this point. Their names are all out.

They should have just disbarred them to prevent all this controversy tbh. Not sure what SILE and LawSoc are doing. Revealing their names just makes the legal profession look bad. At this point, do you really think there are only 11 people?
I feel left out leh, I still don’t know the names even though they are “all out”. What to do?

Old 25-04-2022, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It's amusing that any different viewpoint to understand the process classifies one as being a cheat. Are you even a qualified lawyer? You should probably go back to your third-rate university to learn about basic legal reasoning.
It was not a viewpoint. These cheats are shifting blame to SILE.

Cheating is always wholly the fault of the cheats.
Old 25-04-2022, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It was not a viewpoint. These cheats are shifting blame to SILE.

Cheating is always wholly the fault of the cheats.

No one disagrees that the act of cheating was the fault of the cheats. But how about the disciplinary process after that? The handling of the matter later on by the AGC? "Fault" can be also assigned to the different stages of the process of how this whole incident has been handled from start to end.

1. Administering of Exams - how was it handled and why?
2. Disciplinary Process - why did they come to this decision?
3. Admission to the Bar, how to decide whether these people are "fit and proper" and should be debarred or admitted in the future?

In any case, it is clear the system needs to be reviewed as well. That was my point, and I don't think there's any problem with making that statement, and how that makes me a cheater lol.

There are many people in this thread without a rational mind to make proper and considered points. All I see is just hate and spiteful comments amongst one another. Maybe that is also why the profession is such a toxic one overall? Seems to me that the public view of lawyers is more than justified based on what I've seen from this thread.
Old 25-04-2022, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
viewpoint [of a bar exam cheater] to understand the process [of cheating] classifies one as being a cheat
Old 26-04-2022, 12:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
viewpoint [of a bar exam cheater] to understand the process [of cheating] classifies one as being a cheat
Neutral observer here, but in all fairness the earlier poster did raise a couple of valid points even though he/she seemed to be siding with the cheater by saying that SILE should also take some responsibility.

Context behind how the cheating happened and what disciplinary action was already meted out (e.g retaking exams and what-not) are relevant to what punishments should be given to them now. I am curious as to how this whole thing will pan out.