Lawyer Salary - Page 1509 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #15081 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey all, I am currently a NUS Law student sitting on FCH with several academic (e.g. Dean's List) and mooting achievements. Wanted to know what would be the best career move going forward in terms of achieving the highest pay - would it be to apply to international firms based in Singapore such as Clifford Chance / Baker?

Reply With Quote
  #15082 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2021, 07:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey all, I am currently a NUS Law student sitting on FCH with several academic (e.g. Dean's List) and mooting achievements. Wanted to know what would be the best career move going forward in terms of achieving the highest pay - would it be to apply to international firms based in Singapore such as Clifford Chance / Baker?
Get any non-SG qualification (fastest is to sit for NY Bar) and work in New York or London.

Reply With Quote
  #15083 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2021, 08:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey all, I am currently a NUS Law student sitting on FCH with several academic (e.g. Dean's List) and mooting achievements. Wanted to know what would be the best career move going forward in terms of achieving the highest pay - would it be to apply to international firms based in Singapore such as Clifford Chance / Baker?
Most of the international firms in Singapore (except rare few like CC) don't take trainees or singapore-qualified associates, as their business model is more around managing local counsel in SEA/India and there isn't much to do for a junior associate in such situations. Latham, Linklaters and A&O take some junior associates but you have to attend a UK uni (as the programme is to make you England and Wales qualified). I'm not sure if the UK SQE changes this.

The international firms in SG do take 2+PQE associates from USA, London or Australia and in fact there's a real shortage of these associates, so if your aim is to make big bucks in Singapore in the medium term, you need to go get yourself trained in those places.

However if you do want to further your career in the long run (and not just immediately as an NQ), you will go to where you have the most exposure and learn the most - this means USA (major markets like NY, Chicago or SF), London or Hong Kong.

Singaporeans can go far and can head up regional or even global offices - there's Cheng Tai Heng who heads up Sidley's arbitration team (after working in NY most of his life), Milton Cheng as global chair of Baker McKenzie (worked most of his life in HK), Jayanthi Sadanandan (who worked mostly in NY and then became Latham's London managing partner).

You theoretically earn the most by being Davinder Singh or Lucien Wong (and running an absolute sweatshop local firm and paying your local associates nothing) or being GC at an MNC like google and being paid in stock, but there is only one head of A&G and only one GC of google, and there are many more partner (or very good non-GC in-house roles) positions overseas.

Your call.

Reply With Quote
  #15084 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2021, 10:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most of the international firms in Singapore (except rare few like CC) don't take trainees or singapore-qualified associates, as their business model is more around managing local counsel in SEA/India and there isn't much to do for a junior associate in such situations. Latham, Linklaters and A&O take some junior associates but you have to attend a UK uni (as the programme is to make you England and Wales qualified). I'm not sure if the UK SQE changes this.

The international firms in SG do take 2+PQE associates from USA, London or Australia and in fact there's a real shortage of these associates, so if your aim is to make big bucks in Singapore in the medium term, you need to go get yourself trained in those places.

However if you do want to further your career in the long run (and not just immediately as an NQ), you will go to where you have the most exposure and learn the most - this means USA (major markets like NY, Chicago or SF), London or Hong Kong.

Singaporeans can go far and can head up regional or even global offices - there's Cheng Tai Heng who heads up Sidley's arbitration team (after working in NY most of his life), Milton Cheng as global chair of Baker McKenzie (worked most of his life in HK), Jayanthi Sadanandan (who worked mostly in NY and then became Latham's London managing partner).

You theoretically earn the most by being Davinder Singh or Lucien Wong (and running an absolute sweatshop local firm and paying your local associates nothing) or being GC at an MNC like google and being paid in stock, but there is only one head of A&G and only one GC of google, and there are many more partner (or very good non-GC in-house roles) positions overseas.

Your call.
You deserve a prize for best post on this forum
Reply With Quote
  #15085 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2021, 10:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The Sidley Sg boss also has a JD and LLM from Yale and a BA Law from Oxford. Used to be a full prof from NYU Law.

So yes, itís that outstanding.
Reply With Quote
  #15086 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2021, 02:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The Sidley Sg boss also has a JD and LLM from Yale and a BA Law from Oxford. Used to be a full prof from NYU Law.

So yes, itís that outstanding.
He also has a JSD in law, which is the equivalent of a doctorate.
Reply With Quote

  #15087 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2021, 02:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He also has a JSD in law, which is the equivalent of a doctorate.
He started as an academic first so heís pretty unusual. LLMs and JSDs are not useful in private practice (except tax LLMs). Heís a brilliant man who would have done well no matter what qualifications he had gotten.

Jayanthi Sadanandan is a leveraged finance lawyer so the absolute opposite of that academic profile - still doing very successfully!

And Milton Cheng did the standard uni - TC route with no further qualifications (and he graduated from Kingís which is a college a lot of the trolls here like to make fun of)!


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #15088 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think some posters said before also that LLM are generally not useful in private practice unless itís from Oxbridge and youíre in a top barristerís set looking to make QC.
The latest round of QC appointment in ESC and FCC have at least one Oxbridge degree.
Reply With Quote
  #15089 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey all, I am currently a NUS Law student sitting on FCH with several academic (e.g. Dean's List) and mooting achievements. Wanted to know what would be the best career move going forward in terms of achieving the highest pay - would it be to apply to international firms based in Singapore such as Clifford Chance / Baker?
You should complete a LLM at Harvard, Cambridge or BCL at Oxford.
Thereafter, work in London or New York.
Reply With Quote
  #15090 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most of the international firms in Singapore (except rare few like CC) don't take trainees or singapore-qualified associates, as their business model is more around managing local counsel in SEA/India and there isn't much to do for a junior associate in such situations. Latham, Linklaters and A&O take some junior associates but you have to attend a UK uni (as the programme is to make you England and Wales qualified). I'm not sure if the UK SQE changes this.

The international firms in SG do take 2+PQE associates from USA, London or Australia and in fact there's a real shortage of these associates, so if your aim is to make big bucks in Singapore in the medium term, you need to go get yourself trained in those places.

However if you do want to further your career in the long run (and not just immediately as an NQ), you will go to where you have the most exposure and learn the most - this means USA (major markets like NY, Chicago or SF), London or Hong Kong.

Singaporeans can go far and can head up regional or even global offices - there's Cheng Tai Heng who heads up Sidley's arbitration team (after working in NY most of his life), Milton Cheng as global chair of Baker McKenzie (worked most of his life in HK), Jayanthi Sadanandan (who worked mostly in NY and then became Latham's London managing partner).

You theoretically earn the most by being Davinder Singh or Lucien Wong (and running an absolute sweatshop local firm and paying your local associates nothing) or being GC at an MNC like google and being paid in stock, but there is only one head of A&G and only one GC of google, and there are many more partner (or very good non-GC in-house roles) positions overseas.

Your call.
Agree except the part about the international firms in SG not taking SG-qualified associates is somewhat misleading and, for certain practice areas, dead wrong. They don't take local litigation lawyers because they simply dont do litigation. However for corporate work, in particular funds, banking & finance, corporate / M&A, there is a crazy hot market currently (and has been for a past few years) for locally-trained associates from the top local B4 teams. Just take a look at the career trajectories of the corp associates from the best B4 teams on linkedin and you will see what I mean (think A&G / WP banking or M&A, R&T restructuring). There is usually a discount process on your PQE when you join to match their UK pay scale (and some firms dont even discount), but if you want the top tier international firm rates, this is honestly the easier way to get there (I have seen some truly mediocre B4 associates land amazing jobs just because the market is so hot).

There are top firms which offer SG students a dual-qualified training route (like links and A&O, I don't think CC offers UK qualification anymore even though u do the 2 year training still, can anyone clarify?) but imo it's totally not worth it. You have to go do the conversion course for like a year (idk what it's called) while on some low allowance and it will take 3.5 - 4 years from graduation to finish UK + SG call. Whereas you can just do the normal SG call process then do the SQE after (just two exams now) - all while making full salary and building PQE.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,540 Replies, 3,612,157 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,021 Replies, 5,453,758 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
260 Replies, 202,556 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,692 Replies, 7,134,372 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,395 Replies, 10,783,492 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,499 Replies, 12,891,756 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,409 Replies, 1,223,376 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,372 Replies, 3,962,235 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
737 Replies, 585,200 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,592 Replies, 2,563,400 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
874 Replies, 467,055 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,278 Replies, 1,160,703 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
831 Replies, 475,750 Views
GIC offer ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 681 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,085 Replies, 2,550,480 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,924 Replies, 1,656,805 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
928 Replies, 447,132 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 8,017 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 406,405 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
138 Replies, 311,557 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 400,497 Views
AIC Agency of Integrated Care Jobs? ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 15,140 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,041 Replies, 4,887,960 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,942 Replies, 2,988,254 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,469 Replies, 4,975,195 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 109,862 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
4 Replies, 490 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,351 Replies, 696,861 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
498 Replies, 665,889 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2