New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5
moonlightlover is on a distinguished road
Default New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit?

hi all,

I just started a new job (coming one month soon), I try to be as positive I can everyday even though it's increasingly hard. I kinda know from the start during the interview stages and all that it's gonna be a poor fit but I took it anyway cos I needed the money at that point of time. (Since I quit my previous job without a job)

Initially I also thought the learning curve is steep so I gave myself a few more weeks to adjust to it. How do you know if this is just a period of transition or if the job isn't working out for you?

Appreciate any sound advice or if anybody would like to share their experience, feel free to pm me as well.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightlover View Post
hi all,

I just started a new job (coming one month soon), I try to be as positive I can everyday even though it's increasingly hard. I kinda know from the start during the interview stages and all that it's gonna be a poor fit but I took it anyway cos I needed the money at that point of time. (Since I quit my previous job without a job)

Initially I also thought the learning curve is steep so I gave myself a few more weeks to adjust to it. How do you know if this is just a period of transition or if the job isn't working out for you?

Appreciate any sound advice or if anybody would like to share their experience, feel free to pm me as well.

Thanks!
Honestly does it matter? The fact that you took this job even though you don't like it because of money means you don't have a choice. Whether its transition or just misfit end result is you still have to stay on until you can find a better job.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightlover View Post
hi all,

I just started a new job (coming one month soon), I try to be as positive I can everyday even though it's increasingly hard. I kinda know from the start during the interview stages and all that it's gonna be a poor fit but I took it anyway cos I needed the money at that point of time. (Since I quit my previous job without a job)

Initially I also thought the learning curve is steep so I gave myself a few more weeks to adjust to it. How do you know if this is just a period of transition or if the job isn't working out for you?

Appreciate any sound advice or if anybody would like to share their experience, feel free to pm me as well.

Thanks!
You didn't exactly mention what resulted in your apparently dismal situation but stringing together the pieces in your post, it seems like it is because you don't possess the skill sets that your current job requires.

If you currently really do not possess the skill set that is required of your job, I would sketch out several possible outcomes.

1. You are still interested and keen to succeed in your current job. Hence, you put in extra effort to acquire the necessary skills, and successfully do so. You thus do well in your job.

2. You are still interested and keen to succeed in your current job. However, you lack the aptitude and tenacity to acquire the necessary skills. You thus remain mediocre in your job.

3. You are completely uninterested and ambivalent in succeeding in your current job. Thus, no **** goes well for you.

Bro, only you know yourself and the situation best. Identify the issue (e.g. mismatch in skill set, or work culture etc.) and then assess what is it that you really want to be doing.

All the best.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was in TS shoe when I start my job right after I grad (one year ++ ago). I understand how TS feel because I also encounter a super steep learning curve in a subject that I am really sucked at and also no interest in.

I accept the job not because of the pay but the new experience that I will gained. I can tell you the first few months was really hell, understand various stuff which I am sucked at really kills me. Especially no one is there to guide me except for Google.

Anything can be learn, just whether you want or not. Or people might say only people with passion can learn it better, which I believe is bullshit. Passion is important but anyone can learn anything as long they put it effort to learn. Maybe is just me, but I believe in adaptability is one of the skill you might picked up which i think i important. So why not use this chance to try to learn and adapt.

Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightlover View Post
hi all,

I just started a new job (coming one month soon), I try to be as positive I can everyday even though it's increasingly hard. I kinda know from the start during the interview stages and all that it's gonna be a poor fit but I took it anyway cos I needed the money at that point of time. (Since I quit my previous job without a job)

Initially I also thought the learning curve is steep so I gave myself a few more weeks to adjust to it. How do you know if this is just a period of transition or if the job isn't working out for you?

Appreciate any sound advice or if anybody would like to share their experience, feel free to pm me as well.

Thanks!
You need the money so you're kind of stuck. If it's really not working out, try to find another job while still staying at this job. Don't make the mistake again of quitting without finding a new a job as that puts more pressure on you during your job search.

Else, spend more time and effort to learn the skills you need for your current job. Maybe in 6 months you will realise you can manage.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

People take different length of time to adapt. Some with poor adaptability (like myself) will take a longer time , as long as a year, to adapt to a new environment which is vastly different to the previous working environment.

Sometimes I see people quit within a few days or few weeks. I think that they didn't give themselves much time to adapt. Maybe give yourself a year to adjust and re-evaluate after that.

Arrow
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Anything can be learn, just whether you want or not. Or people might say only people with passion can learn it better, which I believe is bullshit. Passion is important but anyone can learn anything as long they put it effort to learn. Maybe is just me, but I believe in adaptability is one of the skill you might picked up which i think i important. So why not use this chance to try to learn and adapt.

Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything
Maybe for entry professional skillsets you can get away without talent and passion for it. It is ludicrous to think you can just google your way out, work hard and can learn advanced topics in mathematics/scientific/engineering field, IT frontier research, finance or even soft skills like performing arts and humanities.

If it were that easy anyone just need to adapt & work hard and can excel in anything they want, there will be lots of billionaire, nobel laurates and A* celebrities walking on the streets. The world is not short of hard working people.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maybe for entry professional skillsets you can get away without talent and passion for it. It is ludicrous to think you can just google your way out, work hard and can learn advanced topics in mathematics/scientific/engineering field, IT frontier research, finance or even soft skills like performing arts and humanities.

If it were that easy anyone just need to adapt & work hard and can excel in anything they want, there will be lots of billionaire, nobel laurates and A* celebrities walking on the streets. The world is not short of hard working people.
why not (i agree with the person who state that adaptability is important and the willing to learn is important)? there are people who did that? those startups? you think they have those soft skills and business skills to become their own company CEO? No. They work hard and of course work hard is not enough but also to venture out of their comfort zone. Some CEO does not have passion in business but they want to be their CEO because they believe in their product. Which is why they have different people focusing on different roles (CEO, CFO, CTO, CTO and etc.)

Many people think the way you are and people who think that are those who did not step out of their comfort zone yet. (comfort zone meaning out of their normal/daily activity) Like for example, if you are working for a company and have 6K per month salary, if there is an opportunity for you to start up your own business, will you do it? Are you willing to start from scratch?

Certainly, not all hard working people are billionaire, not all CEO are successful, but is the first step that they are willing to take to step out of their comfort zone. Of course there are other priorities for other people. Some people like to live in a stable life, and some people just doesnt have the motivation to do big things and sometimes luck plays a part.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
why not (i agree with the person who state that adaptability is important and the willing to learn is important)? there are people who did that? those startups? you think they have those soft skills and business skills to become their own company CEO? No. They work hard and of course work hard is not enough but also to venture out of their comfort zone. Some CEO does not have passion in business but they want to be their CEO because they believe in their product. Which is why they have different people focusing on different roles (CEO, CFO, CTO, CTO and etc.)

Many people think the way you are and people who think that are those who did not step out of their comfort zone yet. (comfort zone meaning out of their normal/daily activity) Like for example, if you are working for a company and have 6K per month salary, if there is an opportunity for you to start up your own business, will you do it? Are you willing to start from scratch?

Certainly, not all hard working people are billionaire, not all CEO are successful, but is the first step that they are willing to take to step out of their comfort zone. Of course there are other priorities for other people. Some people like to live in a stable life, and some people just doesnt have the motivation to do big things and sometimes luck plays a part.
You are not understanding the discussion.

The assertion earlier was as long as you work hard and be adaptable, you can excel in anything. I was questioning this kind of blanket statement which makes it seems like all one needs in life to excel in anythingis to be adaptable. You seem to be confusing this with another argument which is - it is important to be adaptable, hardworking and get out of your comfort zone to achieve something.

In real life there are natural limits to each individual's talents. Someone who is a more risk taker and willing to get out of his comfort zone may be able to discover some inert potential that he wasn't previously aware of and coupled with luck may lead to better outcomes. But even then there is no way every individual can excel in anything no matter how out of comfort zone or adaptle he is. There are individual congenital constraints, the kind of physical/mental things one can do is vastly outnumbered by the things one cannot regardless of effort.

Such blanket assertions may be good for a quickie motivational talk, but must be tempered with your own understanding of your unique circumstances.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are not understanding the discussion.

The assertion earlier was as long as you work hard and be adaptable, you can excel in anything. I was questioning this kind of blanket statement which makes it seems like all one needs in life to excel in anythingis to be adaptable. You seem to be confusing this with another argument which is - it is important to be adaptable, hardworking and get out of your comfort zone to achieve something.

In real life there are natural limits to each individual's talents. Someone who is a more risk taker and willing to get out of his comfort zone may be able to discover some inert potential that he wasn't previously aware of and coupled with luck may lead to better outcomes. But even then there is no way every individual can excel in anything no matter how out of comfort zone or adaptle he is. There are individual congenital constraints, the kind of physical/mental things one can do is vastly outnumbered by the things one cannot regardless of effort.

Such blanket assertions may be good for a quickie motivational talk, but must be tempered with your own understanding of your unique circumstances.
I highly doubt anyone would take that blanket statement (e.g. Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything) in its literal meaning. So perhaps, just perhaps, you over-reacted.

Nevertheless, here is a prize for you for debunking a blanket statement (yay/sarcasm)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poor working class Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-03-2016 01:04 AM
Queries about Notice Period omezarn Income and Jobs 8 16-04-2015 07:15 PM
2 months notice period floralpeace Income and Jobs 0 23-04-2014 08:28 PM
probation period, good or bad? alatus Income and Jobs 1 08-02-2014 03:33 PM
Transition of career ZoOq Income and Jobs 21 09-05-2013 09:36 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,046 Replies, 3,842,702 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 74,065 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,139 Replies, 1,332,157 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)...
9 Replies, 5,653 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,460 Replies, 979,256 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,402 Replies, 2,008,383 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
861 Replies, 257,824 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,583 Replies, 3,070,397 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,691 Replies, 5,912,601 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,002 Replies, 1,143,820 Views
Equity Research jobs
2 Replies, 214 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 45,154 Views
High loan approval for business...
3 Replies, 593 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,765 Replies, 828,685 Views
How to start a small business ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,167 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
457 Replies, 316,734 Views
Third Party Contract From... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 2,477 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
334 Replies, 113,734 Views
Should I switch to a higher paying... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 3,174 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,394 Replies, 588,395 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
224 Replies, 136,750 Views
Prospects of an economics degree ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 12,264 Views
Passive income ideas? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 18,294 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,716 Replies, 1,130,213 Views
Possibilities, salary, etc. in the...
4 Replies, 1,043 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 3,967 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 93,613 Views
PCB design course
2 Replies, 143 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
156 Replies, 24,201 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 224,458 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2