Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit?
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are not understanding the discussion.

The assertion earlier was as long as you work hard and be adaptable, you can excel in anything. I was questioning this kind of blanket statement which makes it seems like all one needs in life to excel in anythingis to be adaptable. You seem to be confusing this with another argument which is - it is important to be adaptable, hardworking and get out of your comfort zone to achieve something.

In real life there are natural limits to each individual's talents. Someone who is a more risk taker and willing to get out of his comfort zone may be able to discover some inert potential that he wasn't previously aware of and coupled with luck may lead to better outcomes. But even then there is no way every individual can excel in anything no matter how out of comfort zone or adaptle he is. There are individual congenital constraints, the kind of physical/mental things one can do is vastly outnumbered by the things one cannot regardless of effort.

Such blanket assertions may be good for a quickie motivational talk, but must be tempered with your own understanding of your unique circumstances.
I highly doubt anyone would take that blanket statement (e.g. Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything) in its literal meaning. So perhaps, just perhaps, you over-reacted.

Nevertheless, here is a prize for you for debunking a blanket statement (yay/sarcasm)