Salary for Assistant Admin - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salary for Assistant Admin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Joannee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi Joanne

Two valid points you raised:

1) Admin is seen as cost and rank low when it comes to benefits and social ladder - This is not unique to your company, any company regardless of size generally ranks dmin pretty low, but think about if from your own POV.

If you can build up a proper career track in admin and reach like a team lead or even global/regional lead in the future, the pay will still be better than if you work in say marketing department unable to reach full potential and end up as some local manager right?

Think of careers as it best suit your character and skillsets, not in terms of which department is good/bad.

2) Career limitations in your company - It will happen in a SME to any department. Over the long term, there will come a point where you will need to leave the current company to a bigger one in order to progress. The key thing is to gain useful experience so that you can sell yoursself better to big MNCs.

I would suggest if you really want to enhance your chances, follow a 2 prong approach. Look for opportunities to enlarge your job in the current company AND start updating your CV and apply for admin jobs in MNCs.

Your 2k pay is very easy for MNC to match (no offence really very low btw), the challenge is to convince them though you spent the last 4 years in SME, you are able to perform and collaborate in a large company.

Although administration department is not a high flying or prestigious place to be even in MNC, there is still a lot of room to grow if you can find the right company.

Just to give you some inspiration, in my office we have a shared services director who looks after the 2 admin service centres in Asia for the company. She was doing admin/clearical work and slowly worked her way up the ranks through the years until now around mid 50s. I don't know her exact pay, but base on job rank she is 2 notch above me and getting paid probably in the 250k range. Not saying this is common, but just telling you sometimes paths are forged by yourself.
Wow… Thank a lot Brain for the guide Appreciated
Do you have any suggestion what more job scope for admin job lolx.. or can you roughly tell me what your office admin is doing. cause I have to ask for more increment before I left this currently company. But I have no idea what more scope can I ask for promotion for 4 years isit reasonable?

regards
joanne

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Brian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannee View Post
Wow… Thank a lot Brain for the guide Appreciated
Do you have any suggestion what more job scope for admin job lolx.. or can you roughly tell me what your office admin is doing. cause I have to ask for more increment before I left this currently company. But I have no idea what more scope can I ask for promotion for 4 years isit reasonable?

regards
joanne
Hi Joanne

As you probably know by now, I am working in a very large MNC so it wouldn't be a very good comparison as our administrators tend to be much more narrowly focused compared to a SME where people tend to take up everything.

The administrators in my department generally handle the preparation of standard project contracts and occassionaly help us with basic stuff like gather relevant data from different departments, simple summaries and analyses in big projects.

Other administrators would of course have a job scope that is slightly different. I am not from your company and have no understanding of how your boss works, so quite honestly I can't give you a direct answer.

All I can advise is spend some time to observe where you can naturally expand and take on new things. As another poster above said, administrators are seen as costs, so unless you have already made up your mind to leave no matter what, I would advise against just marching up to your boss asking for a promotion and pay raise.

Because the boss will just shoot back and ask you want to promote to what? Do what that is different from now? You must demonstrate that you have thought through about it and answer confidently. Otherwise you will look foolish and just repeat how you have worked there for 4 years. Using length of service to ask for promotion is the fastest way to get shot down as any experienced worker will tell you.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Joannee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi Joanne

As you probably know by now, I am working in a very large MNC so it wouldn't be a very good comparison as our administrators tend to be much more narrowly focused compared to a SME where people tend to take up everything.

The administrators in my department generally handle the preparation of standard project contracts and occassionaly help us with basic stuff like gather relevant data from different departments, simple summaries and analyses in big projects.

Other administrators would of course have a job scope that is slightly different. I am not from your company and have no understanding of how your boss works, so quite honestly I can't give you a direct answer.

All I can advise is spend some time to observe where you can naturally expand and take on new things. As another poster above said, administrators are seen as costs, so unless you have already made up your mind to leave no matter what, I would advise against just marching up to your boss asking for a promotion and pay raise.

Because the boss will just shoot back and ask you want to promote to what? Do what that is different from now? You must demonstrate that you have thought through about it and answer confidently. Otherwise you will look foolish and just repeat how you have worked there for 4 years. Using length of service to ask for promotion is the fastest way to get shot down as any experienced worker will tell you.
Hi Brain

I do believe that any bosses around will question me. why should they hire me for that for that pay while they can simple hire a new fresh graduate student rather than me.

can i say that during my appraisal
well. Service term hit the target this year is actually/ equivalent to my work load increase.
( can i list this down )
1. The number of quotation issue out the number of cert purchase order filing etc
2. I do my own system format to keep track everything that i done.
3. even for quotation that issue out i make sure that it is not an repeat items quoted (I not sure if i supposed to be my job to check the quotation or the sales personal job ).

regards
Joanne

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Graduate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It reminds me of a module HR 101 which I had many years ago seeing these posts here online. Very theoretical answers. No offence but I really enjoyed it as it brings back memories.

May I just strongly suggest that based on your story, just a simple jump ship will solve your problem. a 10 to 15% increment will not be an issue. it will be easier and faster than your justification to bosses etc and expansion on job scope.

simple reason, if it is gona happen, it would have happened long ago.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 31-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduate View Post
It reminds me of a module HR 101 which I had many years ago seeing these posts here online. Very theoretical answers. No offence but I really enjoyed it as it brings back memories.

May I just strongly suggest that based on your story, just a simple jump ship will solve your problem. a 10 to 15% increment will not be an issue. it will be easier and faster than your justification to bosses etc and expansion on job scope.

simple reason, if it is gona happen, it would have happened long ago.
This is 1 possible option, but I don’t think it is as simple as you say. Bear in mind TS is only a poly grad with 4 years of basic admin experience in a SME.

There are not many SMEs out there who are willing to hire a diploma admin assistant for 2.3k when you only need to top up 100-200 more to get a SIM degree graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 31-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Joannee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduate View Post
It reminds me of a module HR 101 which I had many years ago seeing these posts here online. Very theoretical answers. No offence but I really enjoyed it as it brings back memories.

May I just strongly suggest that based on your story, just a simple jump ship will solve your problem. a 10 to 15% increment will not be an issue. it will be easier and faster than your justification to bosses etc and expansion on job scope.

simple reason, if it is gona happen, it would have happened long ago.
Hi Graduate

Actually that is what I plan to ask for just but I need some additional relevant job scope in order to achieve my Ideal increment.
That is also the reason that I mention earlier on to list the following just wander if it is a right way to do it during appraisal? Please help to correct me.
well. Service term hit the target this year is actually/ equivalent to my work load increase.
1. The number of quotation issue out the number of cert purchase order filing etc
2. I do my own system format to keep track everything that i done.
3. even for quotation that issue out i make sure that it is not an repeat items quoted (I not sure if i supposed to be my job to check the quotation or the sales personal job ).


Regards
Joanne
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 31-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Joannee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is 1 possible option, but I don’t think it is as simple as you say. Bear in mind TS is only a poly grad with 4 years of basic admin experience in a SME.

There are not many SMEs out there who are willing to hire a diploma admin assistant for 2.3k when you only need to top up 100-200 more to get a SIM degree graduate.
That is what i am concern in and initially plan to add some marketing relevant job scope in

Regards
Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 31-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Joannee is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey Guys

Thanks alot for all your guidance all your reply is appreciated.
This is actually my first forum post, I was just trying my luck hopping that someone can guide me and assist me trough this forum didnt expected that much suggestion which it really do guide me somehow. ( hahaha may feel free to guide/ teach me more )

Hereby I wish you and your family a joyful, bright, healthy, prosperous and happiest new year ahead!

Happy New Year and last but not least receiving our ideal increment in 2015!!!


Cheers
Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

maybe can try civil service?
position such as these
s://careers-gov-jobs.jobstreet.com.sg/jobs/jobdesc.asp?eid=1612&jid=91080796&did=28&type=0&it s=0&src=8&itn=0
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Joannee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
maybe can try civil service?
position such as these
s://careers-gov-jobs.jobstreet.com.sg/jobs/jobdesc.asp?eid=1612&jid=91080796&did=28&type=0&it s=0&src=8&itn=0

Hmmm.. Thanks have read through is quite relevant to my current job. will check it out for more details again Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
admin, increment, pay, salary

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NUS Admin Manager Salary Range brandon Income and Jobs 60 20-11-2016 03:31 PM
What is the admin staff salary like in SIM University/UniSIM? darkstar Income and Jobs 5 14-01-2014 12:18 PM
Admin / Account Assistant Selina_Le Marketplace and Find Work 0 02-10-2013 11:58 AM
Salary for an entry level server admin Cookee Income and Jobs 1 21-09-2011 09:43 PM
Admin Assistant carmen Marketplace and Find Work 0 04-10-2010 03:08 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 2,844 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,615 Replies, 681,889 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,557 Replies, 1,645,516 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
598 Replies, 273,372 Views
MCI and IMDA
6 Replies, 314 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 25,643 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,538 Replies, 1,504,178 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,402 Replies, 4,681,643 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,478 Replies, 845,975 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,412 Replies, 1,134,129 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,751 Replies, 3,422,308 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,195 Replies, 916,263 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
708 Replies, 684,946 Views
Best Primary Schools 2019
0 Replies, 78 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
309 Replies, 219,000 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,132 Replies, 161,124 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 59,000 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,251 Replies, 482,953 Views
Amazon Tech U - Associate Data...
7 Replies, 1,849 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 187,327 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,762 Replies, 1,162,488 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,351 Replies, 483,860 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,554 Replies, 412,934 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 55,339 Views
DBS BANK Interview replies ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
420 Replies, 236,422 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
815 Replies, 617,008 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
220 Replies, 271,491 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 8,659 Views
fresh grad seeking a career,but no... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 12,064 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2