Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 19-03-2023, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At a basketball match if one insist to use your legs to kick the ball because it's more effective, one will definitely be fouled.

KRAs are subjective but also very clear that academics are only one area that one is assessed. Can argue against it till the cows come home, it won't make a difference.

It's also not that "teaching" work is low impact, but it's clearly stated that GEO4s and especially GEO5s are expected to impact teaching beyond just their own class. GEO5s need to make level-wide impact. And these expectations are just for meeting expectations i.e. a C.

Let's say teaching SEN students is one's passion and strength. How to increase impact? Not by teaching more and more classes with SEN students. But by contributing at level-level, school-level, cluster-level or even national-level. High-impact work may not be more effort which is less enjoyable. Mentor younger teachers or peers who need help with SEN students. Write newsletters to share about SEN strategies. Be the IC / initiate some SEN-related committee or event. Make sharing on school, cluster or national platform about teaching SEN students.

High impact work need not be tiring or meaningless. Go with your passion, then extend the level of impact higher.
Agree with this OP. Impact on students is still the KPI for all students. And impact shouldn’t be measured by academic results alone. Think of ways in which you can describe the impact you have made on your students socio-emotionally, mentally, self-esteem wise through the inclusive practices you can apply not only in the classroom but also in your daily interactions with the students

Old 19-03-2023, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agree with this OP. Impact on students is still the KPI for all students. And impact shouldn’t be measured by academic results alone. Think of ways in which you can describe the impact you have made on your students socio-emotionally, mentally, self-esteem wise through the inclusive practices you can apply not only in the classroom but also in your daily interactions with the students
*typo - KPI for all teachers

Old 19-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You sound like one of those boomer teachers who are too stuck in their ways to realise that times have changed. Please retire soon so that you don't stand in the way of younger teachers who have a better way of teaching.
New ways might not always be better.

Old 19-03-2023, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Alot of useless buzzwords n little value added.
Old 19-03-2023, 11:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Alot of useless buzzwords n little value added.
Like your post
Old 19-03-2023, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

Smile My 2 cents

A bit of background abt myself. Current Geo 4, 7yrs in service with consistent A or B grade, was offered several times to take on leadership or ST roles but prefer being HOT. CCA IC, 2IC of committee. Teach 2 very different subjects and in 2 different IP departments and takes on talent development roles in both departments. Basically I can teach both subjects across level and across different streams and I am usually FT for NA classes. My RO is from my CS1 subject and I really thank my RO for giving me tasks that I enjoyed doing, even managed to complete my part-time masters when I was at the school. I am also thankful for the opportunities given even when I told my RO that I am going to apply for open posting for HQ work which I have gotten successfully.

After reading this tread, I can sense a lot of angst among HOT and KPs and I am glad that I have a nurturing RO who is willing to fight for us and take the lead to lessen the workload for me and my department. It’s not easy being a leader especially when you want things to be done and not burn any bridges. Therefore, I am quite resistent to take on leadership roles and that probably explain why I am still at Geo 4. But I am happy where I am cos I got two young kids at home waiting for me, at the end of the day, I feel that teaching is just a job to me. Although, I must clarify that while at the job, I will give my all and do my best but at the end of the day, all of us are replaceable, but you can’t replace the role of being parents to your kids.

I love talking to people and a lot of sage HOT have encouraged me not to be a one school teacher, therefore even though I am extremely comfortable in my current role, i took the plunge and applied for open posting. HQ work is tedious but at the same time I feel invigorated by my new job scope. Therefore, I urged those who are currently unhappy with your RO/sch management or feel stagnant to take a leap of faith to change your current situation.

Some tips for HQ position, good to have a masters, so if you are 3-4yrs in your career and need a challenge, apply for sponsorship or scholarship. Secondly, show that you can work with people across different departments or you have done collaborative projects with different IP departments, that will also boost your chances of landing a HQ posting.

Old 19-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
A bit of background abt myself. Current Geo 4, 7yrs in service with consistent A or B grade, was offered several times to take on leadership or ST roles but prefer being HOT. CCA IC, 2IC of committee. Teach 2 very different subjects and in 2 different IP departments and takes on talent development roles in both departments. Basically I can teach both subjects across level and across different streams and I am usually FT for NA classes. My RO is from my CS1 subject and I really thank my RO for giving me tasks that I enjoyed doing, even managed to complete my part-time masters when I was at the school. I am also thankful for the opportunities given even when I told my RO that I am going to apply for open posting for HQ work which I have gotten successfully.

After reading this tread, I can sense a lot of angst among HOT and KPs and I am glad that I have a nurturing RO who is willing to fight for us and take the lead to lessen the workload for me and my department. It’s not easy being a leader especially when you want things to be done and not burn any bridges. Therefore, I am quite resistent to take on leadership roles and that probably explain why I am still at Geo 4. But I am happy where I am cos I got two young kids at home waiting for me, at the end of the day, I feel that teaching is just a job to me. Although, I must clarify that while at the job, I will give my all and do my best but at the end of the day, all of us are replaceable, but you can’t replace the role of being parents to your kids.

I love talking to people and a lot of sage HOT have encouraged me not to be a one school teacher, therefore even though I am extremely comfortable in my current role, i took the plunge and applied for open posting. HQ work is tedious but at the same time I feel invigorated by my new job scope. Therefore, I urged those who are currently unhappy with your RO/sch management or feel stagnant to take a leap of faith to change your current situation.

Some tips for HQ position, good to have a masters, so if you are 3-4yrs in your career and need a challenge, apply for sponsorship or scholarship. Secondly, show that you can work with people across different departments or you have done collaborative projects with different IP departments, that will also boost your chances of landing a HQ posting.
Thank you for sharing

Are you a scholar?

Is your part-time masters fully sponsored? What are the chances of qualifying for full-time masters which is fully sponsored?

Also, it is actually pretty hard to get consistent As and Bs if

1. You are not a scholar.

2. You don't have an RO or SL who can fight for you.
Old 19-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for sharing

Are you a scholar?

Is your part-time masters fully sponsored? What are the chances of qualifying for full-time masters which is fully sponsored?

2. You don't have an RO or SL who can fight for you.
What's with this assumption that scholars are likely to get A/Bs? On panel and already been through years where non-scholars get A/Bs, while scholars struggle to even get a C+. Point is, regardless of status, you need to prove yourself & have an RO/SL who acknowledges your contributions. Scholars may have more visible work opportunities, but if they mess up, that's it.
Old 19-03-2023, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Fake news.

It's hard to get consistent As and Bs if you are not competent, not innovative, have a closed perspective and get too comfortable instead of constantly seeking improvement.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-03-2023, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

somehow i think u guys are missing out a more important point

yes scholar or non-scholar, maybe wont affect grades that much

but ultimately its still down to how the reporting officer or P decides on the grade

if only a few or junior heads speak for an officer and cannot overrule the seniors during ranking, then everything is still pointless la