Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 19-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A bit of background abt myself. Current Geo 4, 7yrs in service with consistent A or B grade, was offered several times to take on leadership or ST roles but prefer being HOT. CCA IC, 2IC of committee. Teach 2 very different subjects and in 2 different IP departments and takes on talent development roles in both departments. Basically I can teach both subjects across level and across different streams and I am usually FT for NA classes. My RO is from my CS1 subject and I really thank my RO for giving me tasks that I enjoyed doing, even managed to complete my part-time masters when I was at the school. I am also thankful for the opportunities given even when I told my RO that I am going to apply for open posting for HQ work which I have gotten successfully.

After reading this tread, I can sense a lot of angst among HOT and KPs and I am glad that I have a nurturing RO who is willing to fight for us and take the lead to lessen the workload for me and my department. It’s not easy being a leader especially when you want things to be done and not burn any bridges. Therefore, I am quite resistent to take on leadership roles and that probably explain why I am still at Geo 4. But I am happy where I am cos I got two young kids at home waiting for me, at the end of the day, I feel that teaching is just a job to me. Although, I must clarify that while at the job, I will give my all and do my best but at the end of the day, all of us are replaceable, but you can’t replace the role of being parents to your kids.

I love talking to people and a lot of sage HOT have encouraged me not to be a one school teacher, therefore even though I am extremely comfortable in my current role, i took the plunge and applied for open posting. HQ work is tedious but at the same time I feel invigorated by my new job scope. Therefore, I urged those who are currently unhappy with your RO/sch management or feel stagnant to take a leap of faith to change your current situation.

Some tips for HQ position, good to have a masters, so if you are 3-4yrs in your career and need a challenge, apply for sponsorship or scholarship. Secondly, show that you can work with people across different departments or you have done collaborative projects with different IP departments, that will also boost your chances of landing a HQ posting.
Thank you for sharing

Are you a scholar?

Is your part-time masters fully sponsored? What are the chances of qualifying for full-time masters which is fully sponsored?

Also, it is actually pretty hard to get consistent As and Bs if

1. You are not a scholar.

2. You don't have an RO or SL who can fight for you.