Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 17-04-2024, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone know if KPs or SLs have really continuously brought up issues of manpower shortage to HR or the ministry HQ itself?

Previously there was a reply from a HQ officer here saying that the personnel there know about the problem but are not consciously or intentionally doing anything about it...is that really true?
No one can give you an answer. The qn is did you feedback to your SL/KP and ask them for their replies?

Old 17-04-2024, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
not sure abt that becos not from MOE
the anecdote that was shared by my child abt the principal having to stand in to cover for the absent teacher (though in reality i don't expect the sch principal herself to step in to do real teaching per se)

--> first thoughts that come to mind is the perm staff on location not likely can just parachute in to stand in given that they may have their own classes to run during curriculum time

natual thoughts see if i can get anyone from the relief teachers?
if can't even get a relief teacher in to stand in for the absentee, manpower running on bare bones
Blame Singaporeans and their xenophobia. With fewer foreigners around, there's not enough people to fill all these jobs.

And please don't say pay more then can get workers. Not everyone has the temperament to handle young kids.

Old 17-04-2024, 11:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Blame Singaporeans and their xenophobia. With fewer foreigners around, there's not enough people to fill all these jobs.

And please don't say pay more then can get workers. Not everyone has the temperament to handle young kids.
Plenty of people applying to get into teaching. But hiring has been frozen for many years. People who left are simply not replaced, and not because of the lack of applicants, rather, a reluctance to hire

Old 17-04-2024, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Does anyone know if KPs or SLs have really continuously brought up issues of manpower shortage to HR or the ministry HQ itself?

Previously there was a reply from a HQ officer here saying that the personnel there know about the problem but are not consciously or intentionally doing anything about it...is that really true?
In my previous school, in response to some questions by the staff, the P explained that the reduction in manpower is something that is mandated from powers even beyond the top brass of MOE. Something about looking at the total workforce we have, and the number of EOs we should have to ensure we don't eat up the share in other sectors..

So in short, don't bother asking your KPs or even your P. They know, but this manpower issue is beyond their power (I daresay even beyond their bosses' power) to do anything about.
Old 18-04-2024, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
In my previous school, in response to some questions by the staff, the P explained that the reduction in manpower is something that is mandated from powers even beyond the top brass of MOE. Something about looking at the total workforce we have, and the number of EOs we should have to ensure we don't eat up the share in other sectors..

So in short, don't bother asking your KPs or even your P. They know, but this manpower issue is beyond their power (I daresay even beyond their bosses' power) to do anything about.
Adding on to my previous post.. in case you were wondering what these higher powers are.. which ministry has the say over how much every other ministry can spend? If my memory serves me well, the answer to your question lies in that general direction.
Old 18-04-2024, 04:14 AM
Unregistered

Default Dwindling of MOE Fraternity?

To what extent can the school's culture of care be extended to support our teachers wellbeing? Despite witnessing no reduction in workload or demands, I don't blame why teachers resort to obtaining extended sick leave or medical certificates to safeguard their own mental health and well-being. Personally, I've took such measures myself. Always prioritize our self-care; should any of us need rest or a break, why would you hesitate? Go ahead take sick leave or medical certificates. Nobody is going to care for you except yourself. While we can't control what others say about us, it's unfortunate if they're unhappy, while they too have the same options. At this point, sacrificing one's life to fulfill the teacher demands and ranking system in MOE schools seems unjustifiable. Life encompasses far more than that.

Old 18-04-2024, 09:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
To what extent can the school's culture of care be extended to support our teachers wellbeing? Despite witnessing no reduction in workload or demands, I don't blame why teachers resort to obtaining extended sick leave or medical certificates to safeguard their own mental health and well-being. Personally, I've took such measures myself. Always prioritize our self-care; should any of us need rest or a break, why would you hesitate? Go ahead take sick leave or medical certificates. Nobody is going to care for you except yourself. While we can't control what others say about us, it's unfortunate if they're unhappy, while they too have the same options. At this point, sacrificing one's life to fulfill the teacher demands and ranking system in MOE schools seems unjustifiable. Life encompasses far more than that.
Yes.

While many teachers undoubtedly remain in service because they care, teaching is also a job and should be treated as any other job would be. Take care of yourself before taking care of others. Don't become the Giving Tree.
Old 18-04-2024, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Genuinely, curious. There's a trend in my school apparently quite a number of teachers on Hospitalisation Leave this term. Here I am, I'm really burning out. Yet, I am witnessesing all these teachers on long leave. Do they genuinely have medical reasons or going by left. I heard some just made up excuses for their doctors to cover their HL. God knows.
Do you believe that the doctor will risk his medical career to
help a teacher to chao keng?

If you have proof, then report the doctor.
Old 18-04-2024, 09:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
no one knows if something really wrong with them? no culture of care among staff?
Someone knows but does it mean that all the rest of the teachers need to know.

Glad to know that there is some Personal Data protection and medical-in-confidence being practised in the schools.
Old 18-04-2024, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Plenty of people applying to get into teaching. But hiring has been frozen for many years. People who left are simply not replaced, and not because of the lack of applicants, rather, a reluctance to hire
Because the govt thinks that these people need to be channeled into other sectors. If there were foreigners to fill up those sectors then you can have our Singaporeans apply to join the civil service.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app