Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 09-04-2024, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you give a better grade to these who share? There are two side of the coin? You need to see the wider perspective too. There are others who takes the original resources, makes minor changes and pass it off as their improved version. It happens to me and others.
Simple. Blow the trumpet first so the whole world knows you started it or created it. Just share it via email to all, or department WhatsApp. Very convenient and your HOD will be appreciative of it. Sometimes KPs are required to start some initiatives or come up with a new way of doing things through platforms like PLT etc…but they also do suffer from mental blocks. So if you can share your ideas and resources…they’ll appreciate it and help you promote it. Not many people are shameless enough to take your things and pass it off as theirs if you present it to everyone first.

Old 10-04-2024, 03:05 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation heyy

Quote:
Why would you not want to share if it’s for the benefit of the students? As a KP, I would usually penalise officers who refuse to share because I see it as the person lacks organisation excellence because that person fails to see how they can contribute to a bigger outcome. They are only seeing things in a narrow perspective “I don’t want my colleagues’ students to do well because they rely on my resources.”
This is the reality on the ground. Some middle managers tend to assume the worst first, punish and ask questions later. To them, teachers have no right over the teaching resources that was built through hardwork and innovative thinking. Instead, the wonderful and impactful lesson plans are quickly snapped up and masqueraded as a ‘product’ of the ‘department’s work’, thanks to the ‘inspirational’ leadership of the HOD.

if you refuse to allow your lesson plan to be shared, you’ll be given many unfair labels, and yet your lesson plan will still be taken to be ‘shared’.

this is the problem when middle managers arent good teachers in the first place, so they have trouble producing impactful lesson plans. instead of taking time to learn to build one themselves, they prefer this approach of taking it away from you.

anyways it’s not uncommon for middle managers to lack content knowledge, especially in JCs. take away the answer scheme, and they struggle to teach or solve ‘unseen’ questions during tutorials. embarassing, but they’re thick skinned

Old 10-04-2024, 08:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
how do u guys know the numbers?payslip not in yet
as mentioned, go to HRP --> pay advice --> current salary point.

then take that number and subtract your most recent pay (March). you get the increment.

Old 10-04-2024, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
To them, teachers have no right over the teaching resources that was built through hardwork and innovative thinking. Instead, the wonderful and impactful lesson plans are quickly snapped up and masqueraded as a ‘product’ of the ‘department’s work’, thanks to the ‘inspirational’ leadership of the HOD.

if you refuse to allow your lesson plan to be shared, you’ll be given many unfair labels, and yet your lesson plan will still be taken to be ‘shared’.
Just a note that from a legal viewpoint, teaching resources created by teachers do belong to their employer. So I don't think there's really a good defence in playing the selfish game and expecting not to be marked down for it. (You can google something like "ip employer works created singapore" to read up more on this.)

That said, I do wish people would attribute the work done properly. KP shouldn't have a problem highlighting individual contributions even if taking credit for dept leadership (they're not mutually exclusive).
Old 10-04-2024, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

None of the resources created or refined by individual teachers are the property of the individual teachers, whether the original creators or the people 'stealing the credit'. It all belongs to MOE, and the more we share, the more students get to benefit from it. Look beyond yourself and improve your organisational awareness. Our ultimate beneficiaries are students, including students who may not be in our own teaching classes or even our own schools. The more we share and the less we obsess over guarding our own turf, the more students benefit.

That said, there are so many ways to make people know that you created that resource. How about being the first to submit that resource to SLS Community Gallery? How about being the first to post it on SgLDC with your own account that uses your real name? How about being the one to present your ideas at a Teacher-led Workshop? If it is important to you, these platforms (and many more) help you kill many birds with one stone. You get to claim credit for your hard work, and you also share it openly with others at the same time.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-04-2024, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
None of the resources created or refined by individual teachers are the property of the individual teachers, whether the original creators or the people 'stealing the credit'. It all belongs to MOE, and the more we share, the more students get to benefit from it. Look beyond yourself and improve your organisational awareness. Our ultimate beneficiaries are students, including students who may not be in our own teaching classes or even our own schools. The more we share and the less we obsess over guarding our own turf, the more students benefit.

That said, there are so many ways to make people know that you created that resource. How about being the first to submit that resource to SLS Community Gallery? How about being the first to post it on SgLDC with your own account that uses your real name? How about being the one to present your ideas at a Teacher-led Workshop? If it is important to you, these platforms (and many more) help you kill many birds with one stone. You get to claim credit for your hard work, and you also share it openly with others at the same time.
No no that's too much to expect from someone. Seriously, if the teaching resources are that damn good that your other colleagues are asking for it, how the heck would the SH not know the existence of these resources. Surely they would be discussed during dept time or other conversations about how to improve the existing resources.

Really, it's just teachers who are being selfish and want to keep these resources for themselves so that their own students will do better. After that then complain about how they've performed well in gwtrignt students to score but still end up with a C PB

Old 10-04-2024, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do you give a better grade to these who share? There are two side of the coin? You need to see the wider perspective too. There are others who takes the original resources, makes minor changes and pass it off as their improved version. It happens to me and others.
Let's be honest. If the KP were to reply and say that they will credit their JH for coming up with innovative resources, people here wouldn't believe it. There's really nothing to be gained by someone speaking up positively about their school or their KPs. It's just gonna be brushed aside so that people can continue holding on to their victim mentality.
Old 10-04-2024, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Really, it's just teachers who are being selfish and want to keep these resources for themselves so that their own students will do better. After that then complain about how they've performed well in gwtrignt students to score but still end up with a C PB
They're so narrow-minded in wanting to one-up their colleagues that they don't realise they are indirectly shortchanging students in other classes. Still have the cheek to claim they deserve better performance grade when their performance in terms of teamwork and organisational awareness is shlt.
Old 10-04-2024, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Ok calm down guys. Let’s change topic.
Old 10-04-2024, 04:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I've always been happy to openly share my own teaching resources which I painstakingly crafted from scratch. Sometimes I just dump it all onto the department internal shared drive for whoever to take and use if they want. On occasion if my students responded really well to it in class I'll highlight it on the appropriate grp chat for colleagues to use if they want.

There was once I uploaded one of my SLS modules onto Community Gallery, only to find to my pleasant surprise that it got featured in ETD's edm to all schools.

Take pride in your good work and share the stuff that works with others so your impact is multiplied beyond whatever few classes you are assigned to teach. Don't quibble over who created which worksheet la. And if you are concerned about being credited, you gotta find appropriate ways to let others see the impact you've made. Just my two cents here.