SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 141 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1401 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yea, so much for bell-curves. I have a friend in NTU, who only did 1 out of 4 question in exam. He got a B cuz of the curves. So, your point being?
bro you been to uni?

there are papers with 4 qn, 1 qn has 90% weightage, the rest only 3% kind.

+ proj work and other stuff.

Reply With Quote
  #1402 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

gov & pte sector already say sim is the same as local uni. so many jealous local uni jokers here still want to talk rot.

Reply With Quote
  #1403 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
gov & pte sector already say sim is the same as local uni. so many jealous local uni jokers here still want to talk rot.
noted.

bell ringing, recess over liao boy. back to sim pls.

Reply With Quote
  #1404 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
if you want proof that paper qualification isn't such a big deal in the long run, go to linkedin - check out the profiles of AVPs/VPs/Ds in the banks, those Indian/Pinoy expats. these are the ones with salaries from 8k.

take a look at their education, which university they came from. Anna University. Nagpur University. Mapúa Institute of Technology. heard of them? me neither.

do you think the decision makers at these orgnizations would think "ah these guy has been performing well, let's promote him to AVP. no wait he is from SIM lets not promote him. let's promote that guy from NUS instead because, you can't go wrong with NUS."
I've heard of these universities because I have friends who have studied in India,worked there for experience and have jobs paying well above 6k / month.These guys have obtained contracts from banks in Singapore with those affiliated with banks back in India.These guys get only so much as your Ns pay back in India and when they come here we have a problem because they tend to take our jobs.You know why this is the case? Because people here are all talk and no substance.They have never lived and worked in a country far lower than their own to realise what they have but instead they just complain and put others down.Let me set the scenario.Locals would have to survive the rigorous education system,serve their country and continue their survival in the most expensive city in the world while foreign talent would stealthy crawl in when they are 24-25 with good experience and made of quality substance to take what rightfully is someone else's.
Reply With Quote
  #1405 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IKR, im from sim and im doing a trading role now.

looking at all those stupid local grads thinking they can get in just cause they book smart/better grades.

employers these days only want street smart
i honestly doubt you are in a trading role. i'm from sim-uol and i'm disappointed to see a fellow man coming here to defend sim graduates with being STREET SMART?

Dude, you need to go work a few years and see if that 2 words mean any ****.

Fact of the matter is, whichever uni you come from, it really depends how well you know the job you are interviewing for, where have you done internship, and how well you can talk, who do you know.

I have uol friends in goldman sachs doing reconciliation. granted, stupid job, but her colleagues in the same team are from smu and nus holding 2.1 on relevant degrees. besides working your ass off in uni and making the right moves, you need luck in the job market. if there is no window open for you, no matter how much **** you have collected from uni will not matter. i have uol friends in pictet, CS, JPM as well. same scenario, most colleagues are local grads with 2nd or above class hons. I have an NBS friend with first class hons working in risk doing **** checking on electronic trades everyday earning peanuts.

Point is, u can study as much as u want. but if the opportunity isn't there, there is not a chance the education you have collected is going to help u create an opportunity when there is none. suck on that mother ****ers
Reply With Quote
  #1406 (permalink)  
Old 15-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i honestly doubt you are in a trading role. i'm from sim-uol and i'm disappointed to see a fellow man coming here to defend sim graduates with being STREET SMART?

Dude, you need to go work a few years and see if that 2 words mean any ****.

Fact of the matter is, whichever uni you come from, it really depends how well you know the job you are interviewing for, where have you done internship, and how well you can talk, who do you know.

I have uol friends in goldman sachs doing reconciliation. granted, stupid job, but her colleagues in the same team are from smu and nus holding 2.1 on relevant degrees. besides working your ass off in uni and making the right moves, you need luck in the job market. if there is no window open for you, no matter how much **** you have collected from uni will not matter. i have uol friends in pictet, CS, JPM as well. same scenario, most colleagues are local grads with 2nd or above class hons. I have an NBS friend with first class hons working in risk doing **** checking on electronic trades everyday earning peanuts.

Point is, u can study as much as u want. but if the opportunity isn't there, there is not a chance the education you have collected is going to help u create an opportunity when there is none. suck on that mother ****ers
^^ Well said, i find it childish when ppl compare students that graduate from one school is more street smart from the other. Ultimately, it comes down to
1. Luck/opportunities
2. How you sell yourself.
3. Work Experience

Certificate is just a stepping stone.
Reply With Quote

  #1407 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
^^ Well said, i find it childish when ppl compare students that graduate from one school is more street smart from the other. Ultimately, it comes down to
1. Luck/opportunities
2. How you sell yourself.
3. Work Experience

Certificate is just a stepping stone.
i choose to see it differently. i believe that you end up in a private institution like sim or public university like nus because of your personality, and how much effort/work you put into it.

think about it. one ends up in sim, only because he is unable to qualify for a local uni. he is unable to qualify, because he did not put much effort or is not smart enough to enter JC, which limited his chances of making into uni. that said, there are smart people who made it through poly and got a good result from nus.

yes, recruiters dont care much for your degree, but again, its your personality and intelligence that lets you progress in your corporate career. and again, it is the very same attitude towards work that i realise, why one ends up in sim or nus.

I've been working for quite some time, and it is general consensus amongst managers and HRs that local grads while more picky and demanding, are more hardworking and intelligent to survive and climb the corporate ladder, whereas sim people are generally more lazy, but equally picky and demanding. it is the very same trait that explains why they ended up in sim in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #1408 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The main problem with SIM is it is not able to distinguish itself from all the other private service providers out there. I doubt most companies really distinguish betweeb SIM, MDIS, Kaplan, SHRI etc. To them, all are really just "bought a cert".

The government pays lip service as part of the "regardless of ite, poly, uni have a future" message that they are selling, but in reality some ministries just hire a few token UniSIM grads at inconsequential departments to please the higher ups.

Truth is that as long as you pay school fees on time, it is impossible to fail in any of these companies. Also the standards of getting a second or first class honors are so abysmally low that all sorts of dubious characters are proudly displaying their trophy. No thesis, no serious academic guided FYP, no real exchanges, no strong internships - can we really fault employers for not taking them seriously?

The minority of diligent and humble SIM grads recognize their limitations and are busy trying to work their ground up, these will probably succeed long term. The majority of the slack and attitude problem types are either complaining about "discrimination" everyday or coming up with crackpot theories about how to act street smart to secure that banking MAP or MNC job.
Reply With Quote
  #1409 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The main problem with SIM is it is not able to distinguish itself from all the other private service providers out there. I doubt most companies really distinguish betweeb SIM, MDIS, Kaplan, SHRI etc. To them, all are really just "bought a cert".

The government pays lip service as part of the "regardless of ite, poly, uni have a future" message that they are selling, but in reality some ministries just hire a few token UniSIM grads at inconsequential departments to please the higher ups.

Truth is that as long as you pay school fees on time, it is impossible to fail in any of these companies. Also the standards of getting a second or first class honors are so abysmally low that all sorts of dubious characters are proudly displaying their trophy. No thesis, no serious academic guided FYP, no real exchanges, no strong internships - can we really fault employers for not taking them seriously?

The minority of diligent and humble SIM grads recognize their limitations and are busy trying to work their ground up, these will probably succeed long term. The majority of the slack and attitude problem types are either complaining about "discrimination" everyday or coming up with crackpot theories about how to act street smart to secure that banking MAP or MNC job.
ignorant sweeping statement. sim standards are the same as any of the 3 local u. also many are now doing better than the local u grads irregardless of gov or pte sector.
Reply With Quote
  #1410 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ignorant sweeping statement. sim standards are the same as any of the 3 local u. also many are now doing better than the local u grads irregardless of gov or pte sector.
are you joking? SIM standards are **** and the "caliber" of people they have are total crap.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sim, starting pay, uol

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting pay for fresh uni grad with partial acca geeokleiv Income and Jobs 67 Yesterday 05:28 PM
Starting pay for fresh grad? k3vin Income and Jobs 19 30-03-2018 01:39 AM
Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking Novice Income and Jobs 18 09-02-2016 08:57 PM
Fresh Engineering Grad want to switch to Banking rampa001 Income and Jobs 53 17-09-2011 10:42 AM
Fresh Grad working as software engineer earning 10k/month megasoma Income and Jobs 7 28-07-2011 10:23 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
440 Replies, 144,670 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,107 Replies, 866,061 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 204,294 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,155 Replies, 6,214,114 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,562 Replies, 2,115,122 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,014 Replies, 1,888,856 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
151 Replies, 6,712 Views
How long does uob get back to you...
8 Replies, 1,349 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,836 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,000 Replies, 3,337,499 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,848 Replies, 1,238,758 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 183,471 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,301 Replies, 318,721 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,644 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 40,770 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 104,362 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 5,839 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,941 Replies, 1,400,358 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
0 Replies, 53 Views
MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 16,143 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 27,320 Views
SEA Limited
6 Replies, 1,533 Views
Audit DGS
0 Replies, 72 Views
Starting new employment while...
6 Replies, 304 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
269 Replies, 241,474 Views
Big4 Tax Career Prospect
4 Replies, 2,295 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,692 Replies, 1,054,638 Views
Personal Assistant
0 Replies, 86 Views
Working at Changi Business Park ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 3,656 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2