SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 142 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1411 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ignorant sweeping statement. sim standards are the same as any of the 3 local u. also many are now doing better than the local u grads irregardless of gov or pte sector.
sim...standard...? really?

met a guy from sim. failed o lvls. as in wont qualify for ite even. have to retake.

mother enrolled him in pre-uni sim. did 1 yr, and then moved on to sim-uol. finished the course when he was 20. after ns.

Reply With Quote
  #1412 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I really cannot understand the hate that some of you people on this forum seem to have for SIM graduates.

Why do you have to keep comparing them to local university graduates? Are you really so insecure that you must put others down to feel better?

I am a local university graduate, but I have many friends from SIM and never will I ever think of myself to be better than them just because I managed to ace an examination at 18 years old and that they did not.

We all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Be humble, and you will go far in society.

Reply With Quote
  #1413 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i choose to see it differently. i believe that you end up in a private institution like sim or public university like nus because of your personality, and how much effort/work you put into it.

think about it. one ends up in sim, only because he is unable to qualify for a local uni. he is unable to qualify, because he did not put much effort or is not smart enough to enter JC, which limited his chances of making into uni. that said, there are smart people who made it through poly and got a good result from nus.

yes, recruiters dont care much for your degree, but again, its your personality and intelligence that lets you progress in your corporate career. and again, it is the very same attitude towards work that i realise, why one ends up in sim or nus.

I've been working for quite some time, and it is general consensus amongst managers and HRs that local grads while more picky and demanding, are more hardworking and intelligent to survive and climb the corporate ladder, whereas sim people are generally more lazy, but equally picky and demanding. it is the very same trait that explains why they ended up in sim in the first place.
Well i don't totally disagree in what you say, i do end up in sim because i was lazy, and did not put in any effort to study. And yes, ppl from local U are generally smarter and hardworking cohort.

You are not wrong to perceive that way, but neither are you right.

People's attitude might change at some point in time, and for those that don't, yes what you stated are cold hard facts. However it is kind of unfair for the minority that put in the effort and work hard just because you judged the majority this way.

I would say that i am very lucky and thus i really believe the combination of luck/opportunity+presentation of yourself+working experience would ultimately be the key. (I.E-1.Luck/opportunity given by a open-minded boss that do not judge like what you just did)

And to those Local-U students that come here to belittle SIM student here, i can't help thinking that you guys are feeling inferior because you don't do as well as the top cohort of your Local-U student and came here to find superiority, no?

Reply With Quote
  #1414 (permalink)  
Old 17-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i choose to see it differently. i believe that you end up in a private institution like sim or public university like nus because of your personality, and how much effort/work you put into it.

think about it. one ends up in sim, only because he is unable to qualify for a local uni. he is unable to qualify, because he did not put much effort or is not smart enough to enter JC, which limited his chances of making into uni. that said, there are smart people who made it through poly and got a good result from nus.

yes, recruiters dont care much for your degree, but again, its your personality and intelligence that lets you progress in your corporate career. and again, it is the very same attitude towards work that i realise, why one ends up in sim or nus.

I've been working for quite some time, and it is general consensus amongst managers and HRs that local grads while more picky and demanding, are more hardworking and intelligent to survive and climb the corporate ladder, whereas sim people are generally more lazy, but equally picky and demanding. it is the very same trait that explains why they ended up in sim in the first place.
I can see where you are coming from but the main issue here is that you think that the skill sets needed to do well in school (i.e. work hard, rote learning, sit in lectures/tutorials for years, get tested in written examinations after that to regurgitate whatever you have learnt), is the same as the skill sets needed to do well in their career.

Sure, its the people who work the hardest gets past this system. But looking at how much effort a student puts into school before he turns 18 is not really a good measure of how well he is going to do for the rest of his career.

I was a typical lazy student. But I find my attitude towards work is different now. Why? I find work challenging and stimulating. I am given lots of trust and responsibility by my boss. I can see how my efforts help the company. My livelihood depends on my career.

I just never had the same attitude towards school.
Reply With Quote
  #1415 (permalink)  
Old 17-11-2015, 09:56 AM
UnregisteredBoy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Graduated UOL EnF (Second Lower)

Worked as a broker for 6 months - 2.5k ; Bonus NONE. (You will not get bonus until you hit your target. Target is quite impossible to hit)
Went over to Compliance (1 year) - 3.3k (Last year, my colleagues got average 5 months bonus. The lowest performer was 3 months.)

All pay is Gross pay.

All i can say to those who wish to gain a high starting pay, please manage your expectations. Finance industry now is horrible. Hardly anyone gets a full time offer straight. you have to grind as a contract staff first.

For those SIM students who think you guys are sub-standard, have more confidence in yourself. GO in and perform and grind your heart out. We all decide our own paths in life. It isn't how you start. It is how consistent and persistent you are that determines the end.

All the best everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #1416 (permalink)  
Old 17-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well i don't totally disagree in what you say, i do end up in sim because i was lazy, and did not put in any effort to study. And yes, ppl from local U are generally smarter and hardworking cohort.

You are not wrong to perceive that way, but neither are you right.

People's attitude might change at some point in time, and for those that don't, yes what you stated are cold hard facts. However it is kind of unfair for the minority that put in the effort and work hard just because you judged the majority this way.

I would say that i am very lucky and thus i really believe the combination of luck/opportunity+presentation of yourself+working experience would ultimately be the key. (I.E-1.Luck/opportunity given by a open-minded boss that do not judge like what you just did)

And to those Local-U students that come here to belittle SIM student here, i can't help thinking that you guys are feeling inferior because you don't do as well as the top cohort of your Local-U student and came here to find superiority, no?
thanks for the sensible reply. i was expecting hard flamming here after putting some facts out there.

yes, i dont disagree with what you've said. of course, one can reconfigure himself when the time comes. truth be told, i was equally as lazy or even more lazy than most of my peers when i was younger. my grades were pretty crap, and i never bothered to study. it was only a combination of my intelligence and luck that i managed to secure above average grades to get into JC.

i dont think local uni students are here to look down on anyone, on the other hand, i think many of us are put off by the sheer audacity of sim folks to list LSE/UOL on their CVs/FB or through social interaction.

a side note - i've always respected friends/colleagues who openly admit they did a course in sim - as in say they studied in sim, not LSE/UOL. i and many managers get turned off immediately when i bring a candidate in, and that guy claims hes from UOL/LSE etc, and you have to probe him further only to see hes from sim. doesnt mean i wont hire you if you are from sim, but i definitely wont take you if you conceal that fact.
Reply With Quote

  #1417 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sim...standard...? really?

met a guy from sim. failed o lvls. as in wont qualify for ite even. have to retake.

mother enrolled him in pre-uni sim. did 1 yr, and then moved on to sim-uol. finished the course when he was 20. after ns.

First off.. SIM or UniSIM? SIM global are oversea university... their recognition are lower than local uni.

UniSIM on the other hand are the same as any of the 3 (NUS NTU SMU). ISCA, an accounting body recognized UniSIM Accountancy to be on par with NUS NTU and SMU. Further more UniSIM are part time studies, meaning u work and study at the same time.. i believe that require ALOT of determination and commitment, especially accountancy is direct honor..
Reply With Quote
  #1418 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2015, 12:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First off.. SIM or UniSIM? SIM global are oversea university... their recognition are lower than local uni.

UniSIM on the other hand are the same as any of the 3 (NUS NTU SMU). ISCA, an accounting body recognized UniSIM Accountancy to be on par with NUS NTU and SMU. Further more UniSIM are part time studies, meaning u work and study at the same time.. i believe that require ALOT of determination and commitment, especially accountancy is direct honor..
That is the misconception a lot of the ppl seem to have.

I am a UniSIM Accountancy grade, and i made my way into one of the Big 4. i don't see a problem competing against the other "elites" fresh grade from the local uni everyone loves to promote, especially since i worked while i clear my 4 year part time course. This also give me the edge i lost against their natural "hardworking" image, especially in application and understanding of knowledge to work.

Like u said, SQP is exempted to certain group of accountancy grade (transition agreement) and UniSIM (not the UOL one) is recognized as the same as SMU NTU and NUS.

Overall, i believe UniSIM student actually able to have higher self discipline and commitment to their desired course. They just started on a weaker route.
Reply With Quote
  #1419 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That is the misconception a lot of the ppl seem to have.

I am a UniSIM Accountancy grade, and i made my way into one of the Big 4. i don't see a problem competing against the other "elites" fresh grade from the local uni everyone loves to promote, especially since i worked while i clear my 4 year part time course. This also give me the edge i lost against their natural "hardworking" image, especially in application and understanding of knowledge to work.

Like u said, SQP is exempted to certain group of accountancy grade (transition agreement) and UniSIM (not the UOL one) is recognized as the same as SMU NTU and NUS.

Overall, i believe UniSIM student actually able to have higher self discipline and commitment to their desired course. They just started on a weaker route.
AND sorry for the typossssss, smash the enter key before i check...


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1420 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

im from sim-uol and i think its quite obvious that if you see someone who states university of london in his resume esp in sg , 98% chance is that he is from sim. i'll persolly just say im from sim, if someone probes further, i'll say i took the uol programme.

however when you say you've always respected friends who openly admit they did a course in sim, what do you mean? you're basically just saying that u love people to say "yeah, i came from sim and my uol cert is from there. it just happened to sound better than it should. but don't worry i'll just emphasize its distance learning so i won't come across as trying to mask the fact that i studied in sim or im from uol or lse. but wait, thats actually the cert that i am holding and some people just refuse to acknowledge that its a product of our hard work and earned by merit"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sim, starting pay, uol

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting pay for fresh uni grad with partial acca geeokleiv Income and Jobs 141 21-01-2021 06:44 PM
Starting pay for fresh grad? k3vin Income and Jobs 19 30-03-2018 01:39 AM
Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking Novice Income and Jobs 18 09-02-2016 08:57 PM
Fresh Engineering Grad want to switch to Banking rampa001 Income and Jobs 53 17-09-2011 10:42 AM
Fresh Grad working as software engineer earning 10k/month megasoma Income and Jobs 7 28-07-2011 10:23 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,049 Replies, 3,366,754 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 130,301 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
243 Replies, 39,597 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,074 Replies, 1,409,210 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,314 Replies, 323,555 Views
Salaries for Tech Product Manager
8 Replies, 2,413 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
387 Replies, 209,913 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,127 Replies, 873,447 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,215 Replies, 6,248,793 Views
What course should I undertake? ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 9,035 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
527 Replies, 152,738 Views
SIA Technical Services / Aerospace... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 9,514 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 105,778 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
526 Replies, 18,406 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,028 Replies, 1,900,449 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
646 Replies, 481,904 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,137 Replies, 3,952,231 Views
Career of an ERP consultant
2 Replies, 137 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
369 Replies, 296,018 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
190 Replies, 54,692 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,465 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,573 Replies, 2,124,143 Views
How much does influencers make...
6 Replies, 771 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 17,244 Views
Advice for a troubled Designer ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,153 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 28,411 Views
Covid-related job opportunities... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 970 Views
IRAS salary
3 Replies, 216 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,704 Replies, 1,061,686 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2