How much do you earn and save? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much do you earn and save?

Old 02-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Threadstarter sounds like a selfish prick. Never help with parents allowances, never contribute to home bills, never donate to the poor, still can boasts proudly manage to save a lot. Monday to Sunday u eat outside alone use ur money or eat at home at times? If u eat at home also must contribute to groceries lah. Dont be a cheapskate.

Stop giving excuses like both of ur parents working yada yada so dun need to give them allowances. Tats all ********e. Your parents raise u use money as well. Now u have ur own income and still want to to be calculative and dont want to help them?

Go reflect on yourself instead of boasting that you are a useless human being to your own family and to the society.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

No need to be so harsh on her. Yes, she is lucky to be wealthy at her age and doing well. Like being said earlier, it will take a swing on her at later stage when she cannot manage her own. It can be true in certain ways.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

assuming the following monthly expenses:

- give parents $200 each = $400
- 62 packets of Caipng a month = 62x 3.5 = $217
- hp bill: $25
- broadband bill: $30
- cut hair: $3.80 snip avenue
- walk to work
- weekend: jog, play football, basketball, Badminton at public court

Doable.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Threadstarter sounds like a selfish prick. Never help with parents allowances, never contribute to home bills, never donate to the poor, still can boasts proudly manage to save a lot. Monday to Sunday u eat outside alone use ur money or eat at home at times? If u eat at home also must contribute to groceries lah. Dont be a cheapskate.

Stop giving excuses like both of ur parents working yada yada so dun need to give them allowances. Tats all ********e. Your parents raise u use money as well. Now u have ur own income and still want to to be calculative and dont want to help them?

Go reflect on yourself instead of boasting that you are a useless human being to your own family and to the society.
You go die. parents rich your problem isit? Sad that u are born with poor parents so you need to feed them. Feed parents like pets? Shame on you for treating your parents like pets.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are so lucky to have no liabilities. I earn 5k/month but hardly save much
Gross pay 5k. Take home 4k
Parents allowance- 1600
Insurance- 912 (Including hospital plan, term plan, life insurance and CI plans)
Savings endowment plan with aia- 500
Personal spend- 600
Personal cash savings - 400

My bonus around 3 months on average including aws. (Will try to save at least 40- 50percent of it)
I have worked for close to 5 years now, have around 22k in savings and 12k in investments (stocks)

I am currently living with my parents, have no car, do not own my own house.
Still single as I don't think I am financially stable/secure to look for a partner yet (esp given current covid situation)

The dream of being financially free looks a million miles away
Frankly you screwed yourself over by paying so much for 'insurance' plans. Most of what u paying for is not even insurance, it's investment/savings plans, a lot of it is paying for your agent's BMW. I also make 5K but spend only $60 per mth on insurance. I save and diy invest probably 3000 per mth. Give my single parent $400 per mth and utilise my parent's own money to help her some passive no risk income.

And the rest of you scolding OP for not giving more money to her parents have no right to any moral high ground, filial piety is not just throwing money at your parents. A child is not an investment.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:29 PM

catspajamas is on a distinguished road

Guys lol no need to get so worked up...yup agreed that i'm lucky to have no liabilities (as mentioned by someone) but that's only for now.

My parents' stance is that while they are still financially able they want me to save as much as i can for myself, which is also why i'm asking. Of course some of the money i put aside today will go to them as well. All things considered, i'm really just checking if i'm doing okay with the sum at hand, so dont have to judge me for "showing off" or "being selfish" lol you guys are misconstruing my intentions here. Main point is to get a good sense of how people are coping and using shared anecdotes as a point of reference for my own learning as well. As for the insurance plans, yes i will take over and pay my own premium soon. But background is my dad used to be from insurance field so he's happy to settle everything in the meantime until he thinks im ready to take over.

As people share their liabilities, it also helps me plan better on how i can better portion my savings in future when I have my family and liabilities to settle. Seeing some of your posts, I also will use it as a good rule of thumb on how much $$ to give my parents too! And just to be clear, we all split the household utilities and groceries so i dont let my parents absorb all the burdens too. Any time they need me financially i will be there.

Thanks for sharing guys!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 PM

catspajamas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Frankly you screwed yourself over by paying so much for 'insurance' plans. Most of what u paying for is not even insurance, it's investment/savings plans, a lot of it is paying for your agent's BMW. I also make 5K but spend only $60 per mth on insurance. I save and diy invest probably 3000 per mth. Give my single parent $400 per mth and utilise my parent's own money to help her some passive no risk income.

And the rest of you scolding OP for not giving more money to her parents have no right to any moral high ground, filial piety is not just throwing money at your parents. A child is not an investment.
$60 for insurance sounds attractive! Care to share which plan and where from?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspajamas View Post
$60 for insurance sounds attractive! Care to share which plan and where from?
Hospitalisation plan from NTUC Income with rider
SAF Aviva term term + TPD
Aviva ECI and CI plan

thats about all the insurance u need
Old 02-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

I think its good to save a lot while your parents are still working and able to support themselves. Mine are retired but have put aside a nest egg for themselves by downgrading their property. I am 28 now. I give my parents roughly 10% of my gross monthly and save roughly 60% excluding CPF. As for the rest, I spend about 800 on grab/taxi, 600 on food, and 250 on utilities (which includes my parents' bills), and around 1500 on discretionary spending (including travel).

It is good to save up for a rainy day. Covid is a difficult situation for all. I got a pay freeze this year but consider myself lucky as many of my peers had pay cuts or were even laid off. It is also good to consider your mid to long term goals when considering how much to save/invest. Personally, I am looking to buy a house within the next 2 years and so am keeping my savings in cash/govt bonds as I don't want my plans derailed by a market crash. Thereafter I plan to use 30% of my income to purchase ETFs for the long term, up to retirement.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Dude you sound like sour grapes, get a grip. You assumed all these just based on 1 sharing? If you're not here to share and contribute productively don't come here make baseless noise.

Anyway, for me: take home $1920. I give my mom $300 upon request, otherwise 10% is a fair deal I feel. My friends usually give 10% too (it's relative to your income anyway).

The rest I use for my own expenditures like electronics, girlfriend, food, phone bills etc. I dont have a fixed sum put away for savings every month, but with my pay scale, i usually put aside a few hundred, the amount is tentative to my expenditure that month.