Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Working in a bank

Old 25-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Almost always in the top 5? What?

Top tier = HWS
2nd tier = Dartmouth/Cornell/NYU/Maybe the rest of the ivies?

Are u in any of these schools? LOL.

Assuming you are, you should not be oblivious to the OCR (On-Campus Recruitment) in these schools. that's ur best bet. If you are going to a non-target Bschool, scrap your plans to break into IB. As an associate I mean.

Granted, there are some outliers from UT@Austin etc etc but chances are you wont be them.
Yep I'm in HWS. Hopefully that'll be enough. And I certainly don't mind toughing it out as an analyst for a couple of years - I still have some energy left and hopefully my wife won't leave me in the meantime.

Old 25-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
As I said earlier, BO/MO will never lead you to FO roles. Better for you to apply to a boutique then hope for lateral transfer.
Actually I don't mind going into equity research long term. I'm not an alpha wheeling and dealing personality anyway, more intellectual than alpha.

Old 25-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually I don't mind going into equity research long term. I'm not an alpha wheeling and dealing personality anyway, more intellectual than alpha.
If you are the hardcore type, try the more prestigious investment houses or try to go straight into PE. If you are the research type, you might be interested in RenTech as a quant. Hard to get in though, but you clearly have the capabilities to get into HWS then they will be interested in you. Oh and i forgot MIT sloan as one of the top 5.

Old 25-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you are the hardcore type, try the more prestigious investment houses or try to go straight into PE. If you are the research type, you might be interested in RenTech as a quant. Hard to get in though, but you clearly have the capabilities to get into HWS then they will be interested in you. Oh and i forgot MIT sloan as one of the top 5.
Sounds interesting - thanks for the suggestion. I'm not a hardcore quant person though - definitely not MFE level, and don't think I'll do very well as a quant. My training is in theoretical econ and finance up to a masters level, not engineering or math unlike most quants. My previous roles in the civil service have required me to write a lot, and I'm interested in the markets and the industries, so I'm leaning towards research roles (or maybe MBB consulting) in the likely case I don't get IBD.

Nope not MIT Sloan My undergrad years have tired me of New England winters. If your U.S. geography is any good, that cuts down the possibilites by quite a bit.
Old 25-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Default technfo Pierson

Quote:
Sounds interesting - thanks for the suggestion. I'm not a hardcore quant person though - definitely not MFE level, and don't think I'll do very well as a quant. My training is in theoretical econ and finance up to a masters level, not engineering or math unlike most quants. My previous roles in the civil service have required me to write a lot, and I'm interested in the markets and the industries, so I'm leaning towards research roles (or maybe MBB consulting) in the likely case I don't get IBD.

Nope not MIT Sloan My undergrad years have tired me of New England winters. If your U.S. geography is any good, that cuts down the possibilites by quite a bit.
MBB consulting is good, but they hardly compare to Bankers on the Street. More significantly, MBB does provide good placements to top Bschools (doesnt apply to you obviously) BUT they suck at placing kids to top PEs/HF like Carlyle and KKR. Yes the possibilities are higher compared to a no-name boutique but low compared to GS TMT or MS FIG.

Just curious, how long was your work experience when you applied to HWS? Top undergrad (Oxbridge/LSE) obviously. Scholar? My aim is to get into HWS/Oxbridge/LSE LOL.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
MBB consulting is good, but they hardly compare to Bankers on the Street. More significantly, MBB does provide good placements to top Bschools (doesnt apply to you obviously) BUT they suck at placing kids to top PEs/HF like Carlyle and KKR. Yes the possibilities are higher compared to a no-name boutique but low compared to GS TMT or MS FIG.

Just curious, how long was your work experience when you applied to HWS? Top undergrad (Oxbridge/LSE) obviously. Scholar? My aim is to get into HWS/Oxbridge/LSE LOL.
5 years like I mentioned before... scholar? Go figure. Haha. Huh, Oxbridge or LSE for MBA?

I don't mind not eventually making IBD/PEs/HF. If I make partner at MBB or lead research role in a BB/some big bank, I'd be very happy with the amount of bank I'd make. Anything would beat govt pay

Old 25-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
5 years like I mentioned before... scholar? Go figure. Haha. Huh, Oxbridge or LSE for MBA?

I don't mind not eventually making IBD/PEs/HF. If I make partner at MBB or lead research role in a BB/some big bank, I'd be very happy with the amount of bank I'd make. Anything would beat govt pay
oops I didnt see the 'new' in 'New England'. anw its easier to get into european banks than banks on the street. SocGen or BNP would be a good choice. BNP more than Socgen though.

Not to burst your bubble but I dont see a Singaporean making partner in MBB anytime soon. A popular (and good, I might add) choice for OS HWS/Oxbridge grads would be to work in GIC. Pay not as great as compared to the Street but godly enough considering you and your family dont have to move across the Pacific.

In case you were wondering, IBD of prestigious BBs like GS/MS/UBS etc dont have a significant presence here. They are usually HQed in HK. S&T here comprises 80-90% foreigners and while it is possible to get into S&T in BBs in Sg, its really hard. Do give GIC due consideration. More HWS-calibre employees means potentially lesser jokes from Ho Ching.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 25-03-2011, 02:24 PM

k3vin is on a distinguished road

hello there,

just some queries, I have been offered MA positions at two middle market entities. As I am not from any banking and finance bsckground but instead have a local arts degree. After 2 years, what permanent positions could I be looking at? I am looking for some concrete transferrable experience versus government linked "private" mncs. Would 2 years at say DBS/Citi be more useful than 2 years at say Temasek/SIA?

I am going to grad in a couple of months and is now considering my offers. Pardon if I lack any knowledge in this sector. I am fresh without much applicable experience save representing varsity and nation in international forums and summits due to my position in students' union etc. Appreciate any help! From what you guys have been telling Eric, it seems like the position(s) he is seeking to be extremely daunting and exclusive. Wow.

Last edited by k3vin; 25-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
oops I didnt see the 'new' in 'New England'. anw its easier to get into european banks than banks on the street. SocGen or BNP would be a good choice. BNP more than Socgen though.

Not to burst your bubble but I dont see a Singaporean making partner in MBB anytime soon. A popular (and good, I might add) choice for OS HWS/Oxbridge grads would be to work in GIC. Pay not as great as compared to the Street but godly enough considering you and your family dont have to move across the Pacific.

In case you were wondering, IBD of prestigious BBs like GS/MS/UBS etc dont have a significant presence here. They are usually HQed in HK. S&T here comprises 80-90% foreigners and while it is possible to get into S&T in BBs in Sg, its really hard. Do give GIC due consideration. More HWS-calibre employees means potentially lesser jokes from Ho Ching.
Awesome. No kids yet so mobility is not a problem, provided the missus is willing. Singaporeans have made partner in MBB - I know of at least two. You seem to know quitw a bit. What's your story?
Old 25-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yep I'm in HWS. Hopefully that'll be enough. And I certainly don't mind toughing it out as an analyst for a couple of years - I still have some energy left and hopefully my wife won't leave me in the meantime.
btw, i'd guess u're about 29 or early thirties. A couple of options for you would be to start networking asap at OCR events. for IBD, you'd be interested in the Associate position but unlike applicants for the Analyst position (you're overqualified and too old) you have to be super familiar with valuations etc etc and obviously they would ask you tougher questions etc etc. Firms might not show interest in you at first (Alien, Asian, H1-B hiring restrictions etc) but if you persist then eventually you will land an internship with one of the BBs. Once you have an internship from any BBs, getting a full time offer might be tough but offering to work across the Atlantic (HK/Shanghai/Shenzhen etc) might work. Have to contend with lower pay (100k sgd after bonus I think) though.

In the meantime before you grad, try joining finance societies or competitions. Top schools like the one u're in have illustrious alumni on the Street and it helps knowing them.