Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Working in a bank

Old 17-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousboii View Post
compliance seems to be in demand and would be a good area to build a career. i would probably pick compliance if i were in your shoes.
There are a lot of remediation projects going on in banks these days. It will last for 2 -3 years max, before they are completed. Once they are completed, only the sharpest will be converted to BAU team while the rest will be out of job.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

Default Marketing in Stand Chart

Hi, would anyone be able to share the typical bonus and salary range for marketing roles (manager level) in Standard Chartered?

Appreciate any advice!

Old 20-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Verified Member

boomboom is on a distinguished road

Hi, is a career in commerical banking still a good path going forward?

Old 08-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Finance

Default Finance in Investment Bank (Back Office)

Hello!

Can anyone share insights on how life is like working in finance within an investment bank? Apart from product control, what other functions are there within the finance division? Any tips for fresh grads intending to pursue a career in this area? Apart from brushing up our excel skills, how can we prepare for such a career?

Going forward, is finance in banks a role that face the threat of outsourcing / automation?

Any tips/ advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Verified Member

prashantcoupons is on a distinguished road

Nobody will suggest you leave job but If you have a strong urge and great confidence and want to explore your knowledge then It may be possible.
Old 20-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Default Advice needed

Been in banking since graduation 7+ years ago. Worked my way to to a FO VP (actual not inflated external title) last year, and something has been niggling at the back of my mind.

Started out with a decent 50k annual base, worked it up to around 200k in the recently concluded round, with 60k bonus, which I was pretty disappointed with. I know for my working age (32) and title, there really isn't much to complain about, but I blew my budget right out of the water last year, so I kinda expected more on the B. Seems like I will plateau for a few years now before making D, and I also recognise banking to be a sunset industry.

My line of work, cannot be replaced by automation, at least not in my lifetime. Sales is sales, and the human touch I provide cannot be replaced by machine, only by a better RM. I desperately want to move out of the industry but I really don't know what else I can do, this has been all I've done since graduation. I cover a niche industry, which is exciting, but am now loaded with more and more responsibilities than just sales. Compliance, ESR, AML, KYC burdens are heavy, and audits are frequent. It's getting to a point I don't feel the bang for buck at this place. I don't want my boss's job, that much I know.

I used to be a headhunter's darling, but my current place of employ has moved my base up quite high to a point HHs stopped calling me since a year ago. I think a equivalent of me outside in an average bank would be making a 120-150 base, so it is hard to give me any kind of bump up for jumping. So far I have resisted jumping level, but at this point in time I pretty much don't mind, keeping in mind also I will get 3 months gardening.

I really feel like quitting without a job, but now I have a mortgage and car loan, and I'm afraid to take this step out.

What did people who left banking take up? Which industries would be interesting in ex-bankers like myself? I am prepared to take a pay cut if it means I get to do a proper 9-6, but how much of a cut did you guys take?

Thanks in advance for replies and suggestions. Obviously can't talk about this with my colleagues current or ex-.

Old 31-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Smile RE: Advice needed

Hi there,
While I may not be able to give any good suggestions and advice, I can only say - you are not alone. There are rather many people in the same boat, being in banking for so long, gotten used to the kind of pay cheque but with a 9am to 9pm kind of lifestyle, and getting disillusioned after a while. Myself included - in fact I came from a non-banking environment, and after less than a year in the bank, I really wonder whether I should go back to a non-bank environment. Life seems to simpler - lesser departments to deal with, lesser 'ECAs' to participate in to prove yourself, and I dont have to burn my weekends.

Perhaps it is time for a sabbatical? If you are in the same bank for more than a few years, should be easier to get approved. I have also seen people starting something of their own on the sidelines, in preparation for a move out eventually. However, all these involve risks which you have to take with a leap of faith - if things go bad, are you willing to sell your car or downsize? Do you have emergency funds? Not easy definitely compared to the current comfort of a definite monthly pay cheque, so think through and I am sure there are options out there. Regarding having a 9 to 6 lifestyle, I have come to the conclusion that this is not going to happen in Singapore
Old 15-05-2018, 11:15 PM

theredpill_sg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Im a normal acad who scored 9 points & went to poly studying non banking & after army started off at DBS bank as a temp operations staff doing anti money laundering with a pay of $1.6 while studying part time at UniSIM Bsc Finance. After 1.5yrs went to Barclays Wealth Private Bank as a operations staff doing documentations with 65% pay up for 1yr and was transferred to assets creation for 0.5yrs, stil an operations staff. Found an open door to the front office as an private banker assistant, pay was adjusted by 45%. Now after 1 yr soon to b $5. Nothing is impossible in this world. Sharing my experience to encourage many who dare to dream big, pls do it with cautious planned pragmatic steps =)

Hihi,

Congrats to you.

Do yo think B.A in business admin can get front office role?
Old 16-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Been in banking since graduation 7+ years ago. Worked my way to to a FO VP (actual not inflated external title) last year, and something has been niggling at the back of my mind.

Started out with a decent 50k annual base, worked it up to around 200k in the recently concluded round, with 60k bonus, which I was pretty disappointed with. I know for my working age (32) and title, there really isn't much to complain about, but I blew my budget right out of the water last year, so I kinda expected more on the B. Seems like I will plateau for a few years now before making D, and I also recognise banking to be a sunset industry.

My line of work, cannot be replaced by automation, at least not in my lifetime. Sales is sales, and the human touch I provide cannot be replaced by machine, only by a better RM. I desperately want to move out of the industry but I really don't know what else I can do, this has been all I've done since graduation. I cover a niche industry, which is exciting, but am now loaded with more and more responsibilities than just sales. Compliance, ESR, AML, KYC burdens are heavy, and audits are frequent. It's getting to a point I don't feel the bang for buck at this place. I don't want my boss's job, that much I know.

I used to be a headhunter's darling, but my current place of employ has moved my base up quite high to a point HHs stopped calling me since a year ago. I think a equivalent of me outside in an average bank would be making a 120-150 base, so it is hard to give me any kind of bump up for jumping. So far I have resisted jumping level, but at this point in time I pretty much don't mind, keeping in mind also I will get 3 months gardening.

I really feel like quitting without a job, but now I have a mortgage and car loan, and I'm afraid to take this step out.

What did people who left banking take up? Which industries would be interesting in ex-bankers like myself? I am prepared to take a pay cut if it means I get to do a proper 9-6, but how much of a cut did you guys take?

Thanks in advance for replies and suggestions. Obviously can't talk about this with my colleagues current or ex-.
A suggestion is to look internally, to minimize the impact of a paycut. If you have been a good banker with few compliance issues, you can see if you can take on a control function within business (first line). Given that you are already familiar with the work and business, unless you had been "ding" multiple times for non-compliance, business may prefer an internal candidate than hiring from outside. There are several roles either within COO office or in-business controls for you to consider.
Old 20-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Hi, would like to get some advice on how to move into a front office role. I've been in ops for 10 months after graduating. I am not too concerned about salary at the moment but I would like to get into a role that is more exciting and less mundane.

What kind of entry-level front office roles are there? I ask this as so far all the junior/asst RM roles or other related roles i've come across require around 2/3 years of exp.