Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Smile RE: Advice needed

Hi there,
While I may not be able to give any good suggestions and advice, I can only say - you are not alone. There are rather many people in the same boat, being in banking for so long, gotten used to the kind of pay cheque but with a 9am to 9pm kind of lifestyle, and getting disillusioned after a while. Myself included - in fact I came from a non-banking environment, and after less than a year in the bank, I really wonder whether I should go back to a non-bank environment. Life seems to simpler - lesser departments to deal with, lesser 'ECAs' to participate in to prove yourself, and I dont have to burn my weekends.

Perhaps it is time for a sabbatical? If you are in the same bank for more than a few years, should be easier to get approved. I have also seen people starting something of their own on the sidelines, in preparation for a move out eventually. However, all these involve risks which you have to take with a leap of faith - if things go bad, are you willing to sell your car or downsize? Do you have emergency funds? Not easy definitely compared to the current comfort of a definite monthly pay cheque, so think through and I am sure there are options out there. Regarding having a 9 to 6 lifestyle, I have come to the conclusion that this is not going to happen in Singapore