Whats your net worth - Page 197 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

Whats your net worth

Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Unregistered

If you cannot cope with stress or are unhealthy you will die young whether you are still working or retired.

There are many studies that showed people who retired young due to ill health die young too. Even people who were not ill, die younger when they retired young. They also lose their mental sharpness and tended to be withdrawn socially - partly because their circle of friends shrank or their finances do not allow them to participate in activities.

So, conventional wisdom tells us to work as long as we can to keep our mind active, social life full and lead productive lives. Earning money is also a good motivator.

For everyone who cannot with work stress and retired early, there are thousands out there still working and leading productive lives.

The stress level for those retired early and run out of money is much much higher than when they were working - leading many to look for work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stress increases 'risk of death five-fold'

Stress increases the chances of dying from heart-related problems by five-fold, a
study has found.

Stress increases the risk of dying, research has found.

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
09 Sep 2010

Researchers have found that people aged 65 or older were five times more likely to die
within the six year follow-up period if they had high levels of stress hormones.

They were more likely to die from cardiovascular disease, such as heart attacks, heart failure and strokes, but not more likely to die from other causes such as cancer, it was found.

Short-term stress is thought to be good for health but chronic long-term stress can lead to
damage in the lining of the blood vessels.

Stress can also raise blood pressure and cholesterol which are known to be harmful to the
heart and stressed people tend to eat a poorer diet and may be more likely to smoke.

Researchers at VU University Medical Center in The Netherlands, measured levels of the
stress hormone, cortisol, in the urine of 861 people aged 65 or older. The measurement was
taken once over a 24-hour period.

They were then tracked for six years and any deaths recorded.

It was found that those with the highest levels of cortisol in their urine were five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than those with the lowest levels.

They took into account other factors that could influence cardiovascular disease, such as
socio-economic status, health problems such as obesity and high blood pressure and lifestyle factors such as smoking

The findings are due to be published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Dr Nicole Vogelzangs, lead author of the study, said: "Previous studies have suggested that
cortisol might increase the risk of cardiovascular mortality, but until now, no study had
directly tested this hypothesis.

"The results of our study clearly show that cortisol levels in a general older population
predict cardiovascular death, but not other causes of mortality.

"Cortisol is an important component of the stress system of the human body but in higher
concentrations can be harmful.

"Our study shows that older persons with high levels of cortisol have an increased risk of
dying from cardiovascular disease. This finding significantly adds evidence to the belief that
cortisol can be damaging to the cardiovascular system."

One in three of all deaths in Britain are caused by cardiovascular disease, accounting for
more than 200,000 deaths per year.

Ellen Mason, Senior Cardiac Nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Stress is already
associated with an increased risk of heart disease and this study throws up more evidence
about the role of cortisol.

“However, there are other chemicals in our body besides cortisol which play a part when
we’re stressed out. So although this study helps, there is still a lot left to learn.

“It’s important we all try and find ways to cope with stress which don’t involve unhealthy
habits that increase your risk of heart disease, such as smoking, drinking too much alcohol
and eating foods high in saturated fat and salt.”

Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

You are absolutely right. I enjoy working but the work cannot be too stressful. So I have decided to work for myself. Now I am self employed and enjoy a more relaxed work environment.

Quote:
If you cannot cope with stress or are unhealthy you will die young whether you are still working or retired.

There are many studies that showed people who retired young due to ill health die young too. Even people who were not ill, die younger when they retired young. They also lose their mental sharpness and tended to be withdrawn socially - partly because their circle of friends shrank or their finances do not allow them to participate in activities.

So, conventional wisdom tells us to work as long as we can to keep our mind active, social life full and lead productive lives. Earning money is also a good motivator.

For everyone who cannot with work stress and retired early, there are thousands out there still working and leading productive lives.

The stress level for those retired early and run out of money is much much higher than when they were working - leading many to look for work!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Just finished my morning run at the condo gym. Now seating by the pool to do reading and monitoring the Asian markets. Working from home is a good option for me. Managing my family's money. I'm 44, still working hard to achieve my target net worth of $10m by 55. Then I'll retire at 55.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Delusional. Sad.

Quote:
Just finished my morning run at the condo gym. Now seating by the pool to do reading and monitoring the Asian markets. Working from home is a good option for me. Managing my family's money. I'm 44, still working hard to achieve my target net worth of $10m by 55. Then I'll retire at 55.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

In terms of countries with the highest percentage of millionaires when compared with the population however, the United States does not even come in the top five of the list. Research has shown that these are the countries where you will most likely bump into a millionaire. They are as follows:

Singapore – 15.5 percent
Switzerland – 9.9 percent
Qatar – 8.9 percent
Hong Kong – 8.7 percent
Kuwait – 8.5 percent
United Arab Emirates – 5 percent
United States – 4.5 percent
Taiwan – 3.5 percent
Israel – 3.4 percent
Belgium – 3.1 percent
Japan – 3 percent
Bahrain – 2.6 percent
Republic of Ireland – 2.3 percent
Netherlands – 2.3 percent
United Kingdom – 2.2 percent

The tiny city state of Singapore has the distinction of having the highest percentage of millionaires in the world. Singapore has benefitted from robust economic growth the past years brought about by prudent pro business policies, low tax regime, efficient regulation and high quality of life. This has allowed the small Southeast Asian country to become an investment magnet with investors and businessmen from all over the world flocking into it. Even millionaires from the United States have made the move and transferred to Singapore, most notably the co-founder of Facebook, Eduardo Saverin.

--------------------

I am one of the 15.5%. This is a big achievement for me as I came from a low income family.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

Congratulations! How did they define a millionaire? Did they include the value of the home?

Anyway it is not surprising that there are many millionaires here. Our roads are clogged up with many big conti cars. Condos are snapped up as fast as they were rolled out.

The problem with being a millionaire in a country of millionaires is that you are only average if you just have a million or two to your name. This is one reason why many millionaires, I believe are still living in their HDB and drive Jap cars. They don't think and feel they are rich. They will tell you that if you take away their home value, their CPF money, they will have not much left. A millionaire today is not equal to one in 1980 or even 1990.

To be really rich, and be set apart from the rest, you need to have upwards of $10m!

Quote:
In terms of countries with the highest percentage of millionaires when compared with the population however, the United States does not even come in the top five of the list. Research has shown that these are the countries where you will most likely bump into a millionaire. They are as follows:

Singapore – 15.5 percent
Switzerland – 9.9 percent
Qatar – 8.9 percent
Hong Kong – 8.7 percent
Kuwait – 8.5 percent
United Arab Emirates – 5 percent
United States – 4.5 percent
Taiwan – 3.5 percent
Israel – 3.4 percent
Belgium – 3.1 percent
Japan – 3 percent
Bahrain – 2.6 percent
Republic of Ireland – 2.3 percent
Netherlands – 2.3 percent
United Kingdom – 2.2 percent

The tiny city state of Singapore has the distinction of having the highest percentage of millionaires in the world. Singapore has benefitted from robust economic growth the past years brought about by prudent pro business policies, low tax regime, efficient regulation and high quality of life. This has allowed the small Southeast Asian country to become an investment magnet with investors and businessmen from all over the world flocking into it. Even millionaires from the United States have made the move and transferred to Singapore, most notably the co-founder of Facebook, Eduardo Saverin.

--------------------

I am one of the 15.5%. This is a big achievement for me as I came from a low income family.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

You are right. I am also a millionaire. My condo is fully paid up and worth $1.5m. My stocks and cash is about $1m. While my CPF is about $500k in total. So I am a millionaire but cant retire here. I plan to retire in Thailand soon. With my money, I can live in a mansion, employ two maids and a driver. I will live a more luxurious retired life than my current life.

Quote:
Congratulations! How did they define a millionaire? Did they include the value of the home?

Anyway it is not surprising that there are many millionaires here. Our roads are clogged up with many big conti cars. Condos are snapped up as fast as they were rolled out.

The problem with being a millionaire in a country of millionaires is that you are only average if you just have a million or two to your name. This is one reason why many millionaires, I believe are still living in their HDB and drive Jap cars. They don't think and feel they are rich. They will tell you that if you take away their home value, their CPF money, they will have not much left. A millionaire today is not equal to one in 1980 or even 1990.

To be really rich, and be set apart from the rest, you need to have upwards of $10m!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't know why, but it sounded so fake... are you sitting in an office and staring at the pc while dreaming to be at the pool side..
Old 11-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

of cos exclude your primary residence.. if not every karanguni with BTO HDB from their father will be a millionaire.. and btw, most of the millionaires are imported..

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-02-2014, 01:31 PM

darkstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by financialfreedom View Post
26 years old, no HDB, no liabilities.
Annual salary: $60k (sales job)
Cash: $60k
Investment: $30k
CPF: $81k

How did so many of you achieved millions of nett worth? It seems so far away with what I'm earning right now...
Impressive, I am 2 years older than you but me cash and investment is only $80K. You are doing better than me!