Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

Congratulations! How did they define a millionaire? Did they include the value of the home?

Anyway it is not surprising that there are many millionaires here. Our roads are clogged up with many big conti cars. Condos are snapped up as fast as they were rolled out.

The problem with being a millionaire in a country of millionaires is that you are only average if you just have a million or two to your name. This is one reason why many millionaires, I believe are still living in their HDB and drive Jap cars. They don't think and feel they are rich. They will tell you that if you take away their home value, their CPF money, they will have not much left. A millionaire today is not equal to one in 1980 or even 1990.

To be really rich, and be set apart from the rest, you need to have upwards of $10m!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In terms of countries with the highest percentage of millionaires when compared with the population however, the United States does not even come in the top five of the list. Research has shown that these are the countries where you will most likely bump into a millionaire. They are as follows:

Singapore – 15.5 percent
Switzerland – 9.9 percent
Qatar – 8.9 percent
Hong Kong – 8.7 percent
Kuwait – 8.5 percent
United Arab Emirates – 5 percent
United States – 4.5 percent
Taiwan – 3.5 percent
Israel – 3.4 percent
Belgium – 3.1 percent
Japan – 3 percent
Bahrain – 2.6 percent
Republic of Ireland – 2.3 percent
Netherlands – 2.3 percent
United Kingdom – 2.2 percent

The tiny city state of Singapore has the distinction of having the highest percentage of millionaires in the world. Singapore has benefitted from robust economic growth the past years brought about by prudent pro business policies, low tax regime, efficient regulation and high quality of life. This has allowed the small Southeast Asian country to become an investment magnet with investors and businessmen from all over the world flocking into it. Even millionaires from the United States have made the move and transferred to Singapore, most notably the co-founder of Facebook, Eduardo Saverin.

--------------------

I am one of the 15.5%. This is a big achievement for me as I came from a low income family.