Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
40, single, makes $40k pa. Spends $36k pa.
Home is paid up.
Lonely guy.
what is your job?
what do you do in your free time?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Christopher Tan also says $30k COE is coming soon!!

Christopher Tan | The Straits Times | Sunday, Mar 8, 2015
Is it a good time to buy a car?
I get that question a lot but, in recent months, it has almost become a de facto greeting. Instead of "hello", "how are you?" or "it's a hot day, isn't it?", I get: "Is it a good time to buy a car?"
I will try my best to answer the question which has obviously been keeping many Singaporeans awake at night.
I will start by saying it is an irrelevant question - for the vast majority, anyway. Today, your decision to buy a car depends much less on where certificate of entitlement (COE) prices are at, than how old your current vehicle is.
More than half of Singapore's private car population is currently more than seven years old.
That is quite a phenomenon, especially when you consider that we had one of the youngest car populations in the world merely a decade ago.
The state of affairs has to do with how COE supplies are determined here, but more on that later.
So, with so many old cars on the road, the pertinent question is: How many more months do you have before you need to scrap your current ride?
Got it? Now, just before the end of that period would be a good time to buy.
Going by anecdotal evidence, this is how motorists have been behaving. Because COE prices are so high, most people are keeping their cars until the last possible day of the vehicle's 10-year statutory lifespan.
I say most people because there are those with means who will buy regardless of price. These folks do not ask "is it a good time to buy a car?" Rather, their de facto greeting tends to be "what is a good car to buy?" If you belong to that group, you can stop reading now and go to Life! Motoring to check out this week's suggestions.
For the rest of you, and I count myself among you, I stand by my earlier recommendation: Use your car to the fullest - it not only makes good economic sense, but it is also environmentally sound.
That is exactly what I am doing with my Toyota Wish, which is 91/4 years old now. I bought it in 2006, with a $9,000 COE.
COE premiums are highly unlikely to ever go back to that level. Singapore's human population has grown by 23 per cent - or one million people - since 2006.
So, demand for cars has gone up significantly.
The way COE supply is formulated has also changed. Today, supply - determined every three months - hinges on the number of vehicles scrapped in the preceding three months.
Thus, supply tends to lag behind real demand. In the past, the allowable annual growth of 3 per cent might have masked this lag. But now, with the allowable growth rate at 0.25 per cent, any new injection of COEs is too minuscule.
To illustrate, this rate translates to merely 134 fresh car COEs per month in the current quota period. Or 3.5 per cent of the total number of COEs available to car buyers.
It is not a pretty picture. Nevertheless, the quota is poised for a dramatic growth between now and 2017, before it starts to taper again from mid-2018.
With this supply explosion, prices will be on a downward trend. They could be as low as $30,000 for Category A (cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp) and $40,000 for Category B (cars above 1,600cc or 130bhp). When? Sometime between 2016 and 2017.
But that is irrelevant if your car is due to expire earlier.
If your car has a couple more years before its time is up, you are in a good position because the ensuing COE bonanza is likely to translate to prices substantially lower than at present.
This will happen provided the Government does not hold back some certificates for the next "dry spell", which is due to start in late 2019.
Even though Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew first mooted this three years ago, there has been no word yet on whether he will do it.
There has been much speculation. One recurring theory is that the Government will not do anything that is as unpopular as this before elections.
And indeed it will be unpopular even though, over the long term, it will lead to more stability for car buyers and sellers. Unpopular because it will lead to tens of thousands of car-owning households not being able to own a car, at least in the medium term. And it will lead to COE prices heading for the moon in the near term.
This implies that any decision to hold back COEs will be made after the polls.
I know what you are thinking now. Better buy soon, before the election is called. But that would be foolish. One, very few people know when elections will be called. Two, a pre-election rush to the showroom will lead to only one thing: higher prices.
Barring systemic changes, I stick to my original advice: Buy only when your car is near expiry. And if prices are still high then, consider revalidating your COE for another five or 10 years. It may still be a costly move but, in the long run, far less expensive than buying another car.
[email protected]
- See more at: ://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/ask-not-if-its-good-time-buy-car#sthash.BpPuvxbd.dpuf

Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

Read carefully. This is only possible if there is no claw back of COEs.

I'm sure there will be a claw back or else COE prices will shoot to $100k or higher by 2019. This is not good.

COE prices should not fluctuate like stocks. It should be stable and in the long run Cat A COEs should be between $65k - $75k and not fluctuate a lot.

Quote:
Christopher Tan also says $30k COE is coming soon!!

Christopher Tan | The Straits Times | Sunday, Mar 8, 2015
Is it a good time to buy a car?
I get that question a lot but, in recent months, it has almost become a de facto greeting. Instead of "hello", "how are you?" or "it's a hot day, isn't it?", I get: "Is it a good time to buy a car?"
I will try my best to answer the question which has obviously been keeping many Singaporeans awake at night.
I will start by saying it is an irrelevant question - for the vast majority, anyway. Today, your decision to buy a car depends much less on where certificate of entitlement (COE) prices are at, than how old your current vehicle is.
More than half of Singapore's private car population is currently more than seven years old.
That is quite a phenomenon, especially when you consider that we had one of the youngest car populations in the world merely a decade ago.
The state of affairs has to do with how COE supplies are determined here, but more on that later.
So, with so many old cars on the road, the pertinent question is: How many more months do you have before you need to scrap your current ride?
Got it? Now, just before the end of that period would be a good time to buy.
Going by anecdotal evidence, this is how motorists have been behaving. Because COE prices are so high, most people are keeping their cars until the last possible day of the vehicle's 10-year statutory lifespan.
I say most people because there are those with means who will buy regardless of price. These folks do not ask "is it a good time to buy a car?" Rather, their de facto greeting tends to be "what is a good car to buy?" If you belong to that group, you can stop reading now and go to Life! Motoring to check out this week's suggestions.
For the rest of you, and I count myself among you, I stand by my earlier recommendation: Use your car to the fullest - it not only makes good economic sense, but it is also environmentally sound.
That is exactly what I am doing with my Toyota Wish, which is 91/4 years old now. I bought it in 2006, with a $9,000 COE.
COE premiums are highly unlikely to ever go back to that level. Singapore's human population has grown by 23 per cent - or one million people - since 2006.
So, demand for cars has gone up significantly.
The way COE supply is formulated has also changed. Today, supply - determined every three months - hinges on the number of vehicles scrapped in the preceding three months.
Thus, supply tends to lag behind real demand. In the past, the allowable annual growth of 3 per cent might have masked this lag. But now, with the allowable growth rate at 0.25 per cent, any new injection of COEs is too minuscule.
To illustrate, this rate translates to merely 134 fresh car COEs per month in the current quota period. Or 3.5 per cent of the total number of COEs available to car buyers.
It is not a pretty picture. Nevertheless, the quota is poised for a dramatic growth between now and 2017, before it starts to taper again from mid-2018.
With this supply explosion, prices will be on a downward trend. They could be as low as $30,000 for Category A (cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp) and $40,000 for Category B (cars above 1,600cc or 130bhp). When? Sometime between 2016 and 2017.
But that is irrelevant if your car is due to expire earlier.
If your car has a couple more years before its time is up, you are in a good position because the ensuing COE bonanza is likely to translate to prices substantially lower than at present.
This will happen provided the Government does not hold back some certificates for the next "dry spell", which is due to start in late 2019.
Even though Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew first mooted this three years ago, there has been no word yet on whether he will do it.
There has been much speculation. One recurring theory is that the Government will not do anything that is as unpopular as this before elections.
And indeed it will be unpopular even though, over the long term, it will lead to more stability for car buyers and sellers. Unpopular because it will lead to tens of thousands of car-owning households not being able to own a car, at least in the medium term. And it will lead to COE prices heading for the moon in the near term.
This implies that any decision to hold back COEs will be made after the polls.
I know what you are thinking now. Better buy soon, before the election is called. But that would be foolish. One, very few people know when elections will be called. Two, a pre-election rush to the showroom will lead to only one thing: higher prices.
Barring systemic changes, I stick to my original advice: Buy only when your car is near expiry. And if prices are still high then, consider revalidating your COE for another five or 10 years. It may still be a costly move but, in the long run, far less expensive than buying another car.
[email protected]
- See more at: ://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/ask-not-if-its-good-time-buy-car#sthash.BpPuvxbd.dpuf

Old 08-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Read carefully. This is only possible if there is no claw back of COEs.

I'm sure there will be a claw back or else COE prices will shoot to $100k or higher by 2019. This is not good.

COE prices should not fluctuate like stocks. It should be stable and in the long run Cat A COEs should be between $65k - $75k and not fluctuate a lot.
Another Straits time joker trying to ask the public not to enter the car market now to drive prices up..... asking people to wait for more quota with a caveat that provided no clawback.

Can he guarantee it? If not, please ask him don't come and bullsh*t to wait for $30k COE.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My wife and I are in our mid 40s and our combined salaries is $156k pa. In 2013, we bought a new condo. It is now valued at $1m and we still have a mortgage of $240k to clear using our CPF.

We have been investing in stocks for a long time and now our stocks portfolio is now worth $540k. Our cash and CPF is now $700k. Hence our total net worth is $2m.

How are we doing compared to our peers? Any gurus here can comment? Thanks.
Do you have kids?

Actually given your HH income, your net worth is quite high. You must have made some good investments.

My HH income is 100k above yours and our net worth is only 1.7million. I missed a property cycle due to family issues..
Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

My wife and I are working professionals in our early 40s / late 30s
Salary $640K for me and $210k for wife, save about $400k pa
Own a 5-room HDB flat worth about $800k fully paid
1 SG and 2 overseas invt properties worth $2.7m with net equity around $700K (loan amt of $2m).
Other liquid invts (UTs, hedge funds) about $3m
CPF $400K
2nd hand car just past 7 year mark, around $50K mkt value (fully paid)
Networth just past $5m

Old 08-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

Haha $30k COE is coming soon, for those whose cars are for scrap between 2016 onwards, dont be kan cheong but wait out til 2016 to place order as the COE supply explosion will flood the market.

Quote:
Another Straits time joker trying to ask the public not to enter the car market now to drive prices up..... asking people to wait for more quota with a caveat that provided no clawback.

Can he guarantee it? If not, please ask him don't come and bullsh*t to wait for $30k COE.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Haha $30k COE is coming soon, for those whose cars are for scrap between 2016 onwards, dont be kan cheong but wait out til 2016 to place order as the COE supply explosion will flood the market.
Yes, straits times wrote "With this supply explosion, prices will be on a downward trend. They could be as low as $30,000 for Category A (cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp) and $40,000 for Category B (cars above 1,600cc or 130bhp). When? Sometime between 2016 and 2017."

Huat ah!!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, straits times wrote "With this supply explosion, prices will be on a downward trend. They could be as low as $30,000 for Category A (cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp) and $40,000 for Category B (cars above 1,600cc or 130bhp). When? Sometime between 2016 and 2017."

Huat ah!!
Yeah, people say singapore property prices can never come down because of 6.9million population. Same logic here. As soon as supply start flooding the market, the law of economics will prevail... COE price is sure heading south just like Singapore property prices
Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Are you planning to buy a GCB? Nowadays there are many, manyh bargains. You can get a very cheap GCB for only $10m. This is a big bargain.

Quote:
My wife and I are working professionals in our early 40s / late 30s
Salary $640K for me and $210k for wife, save about $400k pa
Own a 5-room HDB flat worth about $800k fully paid
1 SG and 2 overseas invt properties worth $2.7m with net equity around $700K (loan amt of $2m).
Other liquid invts (UTs, hedge funds) about $3m
CPF $400K
2nd hand car just past 7 year mark, around $50K mkt value (fully paid)
Networth just past $5m