Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 19-06-2020, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Those who got in through connections not counted by the way.
And some firms are notoriously known to take in grads wholesale with connections.
Not saying there aren’t, but at the same time there are those who got in by merit and hard work. At some point, we have to stop blaming the unfair system and do the best you can for yourself. Look at real evidence that some people do come from humble beginnings to end up in good paying positions at the high paying firms. Whether it is worth it will be up to the person.

Make your own connections with your colleagues, clients, etc. Some day down the road, you will be the one with connections. Connections are varied. Not all connections are daddy or mummy are CEO of XYZ, they can be friendships forged at school, work or other communities.

Old 19-06-2020, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Those who got in through connections not counted by the way.
And some firms are notoriously known to take in grads wholesale with connections.
This poster just sounds bitter. Being in the industry for some time, I have known people who used connections only to get internships in mid-sized/big four/internationals/FLAs. No one I’ve seen has ever used their connections to get an official position. Yes, referrals may have been made here and there. But these referrals are mainly from ex-colleagues or partners from other teams. People who got in through referrals still have to go through the interview process and their CVs would still be vetted extremely thoroughly. This is because partners in these firms have to consult with each other and they are responsible for each hire.

If you are confident about your assertions regarding the existence of ‘notorious’ firms who take in grads mostly through connections, please state the team and the firm right here. Or else, your assertions are just blind assumptions.

Old 19-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This poster just sounds bitter. Being in the industry for some time, I have known people who used connections only to get internships in mid-sized/big four/internationals/FLAs. No one I’ve seen has ever used their connections to get an official position. Yes, referrals may have been made here and there. But these referrals are mainly from ex-colleagues or partners from other teams. People who got in through referrals still have to go through the interview process and their CVs would still be vetted extremely thoroughly. This is because partners in these firms have to consult with each other and they are responsible for each hire.

If you are confident about your assertions regarding the existence of ‘notorious’ firms who take in grads mostly through connections, please state the team and the firm right here. Or else, your assertions are just blind assumptions.
hahahaha. disagree with this perspective. in fact, i even know a team in a pseduo-international firm where the son works directly for the father who is the partner.

Old 19-06-2020, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Can anyone enlighten me as to why there are so many counterproductive/irrelevant posts regarding school prestige or dissing others based on anecdotal info as of recent days, when there are actual lawyers/trainees looking to get a helpful answers somewhere?
Old 19-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hahahaha. disagree with this perspective. in fact, i even know a team in a pseduo-international firm where the son works directly for the father who is the partner.
Not doubting this but I am very confident to say that this makes up a minority. Based on actual evidence, most of the people got in through merits and it is erroneous of you to make a claim that some firms hire people “mostly on connections.” Please look at actual facts and not make a claim based on personal biases.
Old 19-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can anyone enlighten me as to why there are so many counterproductive/irrelevant posts regarding school prestige or dissing others based on anecdotal info as of recent days, when there are actual lawyers/trainees looking to get a helpful answers somewhere?
Because after your 4th/5th deal, you'll realize that sometimes practice can be terribly boring.

But if you have a question, please ask. I believe many of us would be very willing to share what we can.

Old 19-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have been offered a Legal Executive role pending my call to the Bar in August. I have been offered $2800/month until August. Am I being lowballed? I believe the Big 4 awards legal execs about $3500 pending call?
Depends on the firm, you are right about the big 4 legal exec pay, but are you at a big 4?
Old 19-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Say CEO X sends his daughter to LSE because she cannot get into NUS.
She doesn’t want to go to SMU for reasons mentioned above.
CEO X is CEO of listed MNC, A Co.

A Co retains a big four firm to provide retained legal services, Firm G.
Daughter comes back to SG with no TC for obvious reasons again.
CEO X calls up his contact at Firm G. Partner at Firm G readily accepts CEO X’s daughter with an interview purely for formality.

Get the picture?
Is this a real example? I don't recall any of my LSE batchmates having to resort to connections. 50% went to MC SC / US, couple are in Big 4. For LSE Economics, tons are in IB and consultancy.

Don't throw shade for your own failures.
Old 19-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not doubting this but I am very confident to say that this makes up a minority. Based on actual evidence, most of the people got in through merits and it is erroneous of you to make a claim that some firms hire people “mostly on connections.” Please look at actual facts and not make a claim based on personal biases.
Hahaha. Should have been clearer. I wrote about the father-son team, but i did not write about a certain firm which hires mostly on connections - though i'm pretty sure i know which firm the poster is talking about.

I also disagree that permanent hires are decided based on merit alone. That's why we have rain-makers. There was even a HC judgment which described the role of rain makers and essentially said they serve a very real purpose (even if their legal skills suck).

Just saying. Law firms are a business. You need to get clients somehow.
Old 19-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Tough job market for all graduates:

s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/the-big-read-coronavirus-covid-19-jobs-graduates-12812732