Lawyer Salary - Page 809 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #8081 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
has hiring for corporate resumed, anyone knows of 0PQE openings? thanks
Not many; most firms are hunkering down and trying to maintain their current ranks



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #8082 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Honestly, if you are a NQ and didn't get retained for corp, consider branching out and applying for liti roles. Good corp opps are far and few between.

Reply With Quote
  #8083 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
S tier US/UK: Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Oxford/Cambridge

A tier US: Columbia/Chicago/New York

Local tier: NUS/SMU

A tier UK: LSE/UCL/KCL

B tier UK/S tier AU: Durham/Bristol/Nottingham/Warwick/QMUL/Birmingham/Melbourne/Sydney/UNSW/ANU

A tier AU: Monash/Queensland/Western Australia/Adelaide

NZ/B tier AU: Auckland/Wellington/Tasmania

C tier AU: Murdoch/Flinders
Nice try pulling the wool over our eyes, KCL grad!

Reply With Quote
  #8084 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Which corporate areas are recession proof?
Reply With Quote
  #8085 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
S tier US/UK: Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Oxford/Cambridge

A tier US: Columbia/Chicago/New York

Local tier: NUS/SMU

A tier UK: LSE/UCL/KCL

B tier UK/S tier AU: Durham/Bristol/Nottingham/Warwick/QMUL/Birmingham/Melbourne/Sydney/UNSW/ANU

A tier AU: Monash/Queensland/Western Australia/Adelaide

NZ/B tier AU: Auckland/Wellington/Tasmania

C tier AU: Murdoch/Flinders
Hmm, just considering JD programs, I'm not sure why some US schools are this list given that they're not in the list of approved universities (e.g. Yale, Stanford). Granted, these are good schools, but their JDs are not accepted here.

It's a different story if you're considering the LLM programs from these US schools. But then again, it's easier to get into an LLM program so judging someone's ability from their LLM institute is not entirely fair or accurate.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #8086 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmm, just considering JD programs, I'm not sure why some US schools are this list given that they're not in the list of approved universities (e.g. Yale, Stanford). Granted, these are good schools, but their JDs are not accepted here.

It's a different story if you're considering the LLM programs from these US schools. But then again, it's easier to get into an LLM program so judging someone's ability from their LLM institute is not entirely fair or accurate.
Yale and Stanford are automatic exemptions if you do apply. Yale has always been the top law school in America, with Stanford/Harvard fighting over rank 2 and 3.
Reply With Quote

  #8087 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
S tier US/UK: Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Oxford/Cambridge

A tier US: Columbia/Chicago/New York

Local tier: NUS/SMU

A tier UK: LSE/UCL/KCL

B tier UK/S tier AU: Durham/Bristol/Nottingham/Warwick/QMUL/Birmingham/Melbourne/Sydney/UNSW/ANU

A tier AU: Monash/Queensland/Western Australia/Adelaide

NZ/B tier AU: Auckland/Wellington/Tasmania

C tier AU: Murdoch/Flinders
Are the UK degrees (outside of Oxbridge) even worth anything rn? Especially with the rise of nationalism as seen from brexit and the racial violence from covid... Won't Singapore born graduates of these prestigious universities just be delegated to third or second class status? Seems like going overseas is also no guarantee of a better life abroad...
Reply With Quote
  #8088 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 08:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yale and Stanford are automatic exemptions if you do apply. Yale has always been the top law school in America, with Stanford/Harvard fighting over rank 2 and 3.
Outside of rankings Harvard Law has always been considered n.o. 1 by those in the US industry. Just look at their number of supreme court clerkships.
Reply With Quote
  #8089 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm really baffled at why you guys keep discussing this US/UK JD/LLM ranking thing so much ....

As a lawyer who studied locally who lateraled into a US firm, I can honestly say that none of my colleagues who also went to NUS/SMU for their undergrad have a masters (or even if they do, they did it during their 4 year LLB at NUS). It is unnecessary for practice, as evidenced by the fact that they managed to make it here regardless.

Furthermore, do you all really think that anyone who is good enough to get into a JD program at harvard or yale will bother coming to SG anyway?

Can you guys focus the discussion on what actually relates to us -> salaries in the SG law context?
Reply With Quote
  #8090 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2020, 09:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm really baffled at why you guys keep discussing this US/UK JD/LLM ranking thing so much ....

As a lawyer who studied locally who lateraled into a US firm, I can honestly say that none of my colleagues who also went to NUS/SMU for their undergrad have a masters (or even if they do, they did it during their 4 year LLB at NUS). It is unnecessary for practice, as evidenced by the fact that they managed to make it here regardless.

Furthermore, do you all really think that anyone who is good enough to get into a JD program at harvard or yale will bother coming to SG anyway?

Can you guys focus the discussion on what actually relates to us -> salaries in the SG law context?
This. If I have a Yale/Stanford JD why would I be looking at practicing in Singapore lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,932 Replies, 5,437,049 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,655 Replies, 7,118,580 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,581 Replies, 2,556,830 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,336 Replies, 3,955,125 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,462 Replies, 4,963,772 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,917 Replies, 1,653,542 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,385 Replies, 10,771,296 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
4 Replies, 442 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
927 Replies, 445,236 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
826 Replies, 473,206 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
282 Replies, 405,831 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,940 Replies, 2,986,172 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,351 Replies, 694,857 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
498 Replies, 665,062 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,632 Replies, 1,465,330 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,495 Replies, 12,877,448 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,249 Replies, 1,157,197 Views
Election Department job application ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,397 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
272 Replies, 203,859 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,963 Replies, 1,423,488 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 310,856 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 7,625 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,038 Replies, 4,881,790 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
198 Replies, 185,250 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,533 Replies, 3,606,433 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,083 Replies, 2,544,791 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 81,455 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
944 Replies, 560,552 Views
Is HR useless? ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 748 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
423 Replies, 753,352 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2