Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

job offer - salary for managing director role

Old 24-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My husband is Deputy Director at a Stat Board in his late 30's. How I wish you were right... More like SGD 150k per annum including the civil service bonus of 2 to 3 months each year. Increment is slow too. He has been getting guaranteed increment but it is so small... +4-6k/year.
Close to SGD200k is what we need for me to stop working and look after the kids fulltime.

He is a gov't scholar and was on Dean's List in NUS. Unfortunately he is not well connected. He says only "white horse" gets SGD 180k.

I never really understood what it means, can someone tell me what "white horse" means in this context?
you cant compare civil service with private sector. It is known to earn less but with the added benefit of longer annual leaves, better work-life balance etc. earning 150k p.a. in civil service in one's late 30s is doing just fine according to the many posts here.

Old 24-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
you cant compare civil service with private sector. It is known to earn less but with the added benefit of longer annual leaves, better work-life balance etc. earning 150k p.a. in civil service in one's late 30s is doing just fine according to the many posts here.
Realistically speaking even in the pte sector how many people really make 150k in a year by their late 30s?

I'm not talking about guys like doctors, o&g, top salesman, laywers, bankers etc. Normal jobs like accountant, engineer, programmer, teacher, purchaser, marketer, factory operations, service operations etc. only a minority will reach 150k by 40.

Old 24-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_Farmer View Post

Judging from your husband’s career progression so far, he seems to be following a typical “farmer” track, i.e. he isn’t on the fast track program nor is he a scholar in the true sense of the word in public sector. He might have gotten a scholarship or monetary support for his studies, but the powers on top do not see him any different from a normal degree educated Div 1 officer.

Dy Director is the default career end point for a degree educated average performer in the civil service. Your husband reaching this level in late 30s with an all-in package of 150k is probably slightly faster than average. The salary scale for DD is very wide to cater for most civil servants who will retire at this level. .
I beg to differ. Looking at my friends in the civil service, those who reach deputy director positions in their 30s are the above-average performers. And most degree educated civil servants retire bebow the rank of deputy director.

Old 24-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I beg to differ. Looking at my friends in the civil service, those who reach deputy director positions in their 30s are the above-average performers. And most degree educated civil servants retire bebow the rank of deputy director.
Your friends are just above average farmers lor. Please lar a AO by late 30s is usually a Senior Director in a ministry or a Colonel equivalent in SAF with a pay package close to 300k.
Old 26-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
u just sound like a lazy fat lady who doesnt wanna work. 200k is what you need?
seriously? i know households that run on single income of south of 50k.

200k is what u need? LOL
What is your problem douche?
People have different levels of lifestyle, I am used to a certain lifestyle provided by my husband and my own hardwork.

We want to provide a quality lifestyle for our retirement and for our children and that is the min. income level to achieve.

Yes, the Malay neighbours I grew up with make $40k /year but he is able to take care of 5 mouths to feed and still have savings. That is commendable - I respect that. But I cannot do the same. Been brought up in this way, and grown up this way. Yes maybe I had a spoilt childhood, and I want to spoil my kids the same way - that is my choice, not yours so please fo fcuk yourself.

If you are lazy and can't afford to spoil yourself and your family but you are envious, that's your problem, don't take it out on others.

---------

To answer the other question, he is not a PSC Scholar or President's Scholar. Just a simple scholar sponsored by DSTA. Studied 4 years NUS, 2 years work, 3 years to do MPP in Georgetown Public Policy Institute in Washington DC sponsored by MOF, (where we met each other).
After he came back from his Masters in USA, DSTA seconded him to MFA where he still is but draws salary from DSTA - not sure how that works but suppose that means he is still Statboard and not ministry.

The good part is that he still is able to leave office at 6pm everyday to come back to see the kids - I prefer this to having extra $50k/year but longer working hours.
Old 26-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

Haha, like that also call scholar???

You really don't know what civil service means by scholar or just acting blur?

So in short you expect tax payers to pay $200k for some average civil servant to enjoy "quality lifestyle" and quit office everyday by 6pm?

I certainly hope this is just you personal thought and not shared by your husband. It would be sad if Singapore come to a stage whereby public servants whine about the need to get paid big bucks with an iron rice bowl, average capability and knock off on time everyday.

I don't think people here are envious of your husband... Jeez where did you get that from? I think most of us are more struck by the nerve of some woman complaining about her husband not being paid enough by the government to let her retire in her 30s. If your husband was some stellar performer or hot stud in the private sector can still understand, but just a normal stat board staff?

Quote:
People have different levels of lifestyle, I am used to a certain lifestyle provided by my husband and my own hardwork.

We want to provide a quality lifestyle for our retirement and for our children and that is the min. income level to achieve.

Yes, the Malay neighbours I grew up with make $40k /year but he is able to take care of 5 mouths to feed and still have savings. That is commendable - I respect that. But I cannot do the same. Been brought up in this way, and grown up this way. Yes maybe I had a spoilt childhood, and I want to spoil my kids the same way - that is my choice, not yours so please fo fcuk yourself.

If you are lazy and can't afford to spoil yourself and your family but you are envious, that's your problem, don't take it out on others.

---------

To answer the other question, he is not a PSC Scholar or President's Scholar. Just a simple scholar sponsored by DSTA. Studied 4 years NUS, 2 years work, 3 years to do MPP in Georgetown Public Policy Institute in Washington DC sponsored by MOF, (where we met each other).
After he came back from his Masters in USA, DSTA seconded him to MFA where he still is but draws salary from DSTA - not sure how that works but suppose that means he is still Statboard and not ministry.

The good part is that he still is able to leave office at 6pm everyday to come back to see the kids - I prefer this to having extra $50k/year but longer working hours.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 27-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Unregistered

nowadays a lot of public sector employees getting more and more greedy. always want to compare with high payers in private sector yet cling on to job stability and work life balance.

working in a stat board myself, i always content as long pay is slightly below average to average in the market. if anything more is bonus. i have some colleagues always complain pay and bonus progression too slow, yet not willing to take the risk outside, just unhappy everyday at work. no point.
Old 27-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

The private sector has a lot of risks and we get rewarded for taking the high risks. Some of us got rewarded big time while some lose big time. I was fortunate to be the former. I used to work in the fast paced, high stressed environment in the FO of the finance industry. The top guns they call it. I made a lot over the years I worked there. I managed to build up a big investment portfolio which allows me to retire at 43. Now I earn a passive income of $180k pa and retired. Our household expenses is $80k pa. Debt free too.

Quote:
nowadays a lot of public sector employees getting more and more greedy. always want to compare with high payers in private sector yet cling on to job stability and work life balance.

working in a stat board myself, i always content as long pay is slightly below average to average in the market. if anything more is bonus. i have some colleagues always complain pay and bonus progression too slow, yet not willing to take the risk outside, just unhappy everyday at work. no point.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 27-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Unregistered

Some of the CS/SB staff need a shake up to wake up their idea. Recently went to a Christmas party organized by a uni friend. One lady work at NEA since day 1 still got the cheek to complain this year her 2 month bonus "so pathetic".

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 27-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

---------

Im sorry to dissapoint you, but I dont think he's that kind of 'scholar' that you might imagine him to be. DSTA scholarships are actually not that hard to attain. Its like the ones that PUB, MOHH and Mindef(not SAFOS) throws around. So you shouldnt expect much. IMO, if someone isnt a PSC or President, you cant expect the high life.

There's nothing wrong in wanting more things and being richer. But you cant stop people from calling you out for what you are : greedy. And in any case, if you believe that you should be rewarded even more for yours and your husband's 'hardwork', maybe you should strike it out in the private sector if the public sector is not rewarding enough. You cant be dissapointed if that is the amount the public sector pays you and your husband. If you dont like it, simply leave. If you really believe that thats how much your husband is worth, then he should have no problem going at it in the private sector.