Ntu sociology degree - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Ntu sociology degree

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
khozh is on a distinguished road
Default Ntu sociology degree

Hey guys I was just offered a place to read sociology. I would like to ask would anyone know what are the job prospects for a soci grade. Are they good or bad (i know its kinda subjective but yeah haha). Should i be looking for smth else to major? Thanks for all your help (:

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
Hey guys I was just offered a place to read sociology. I would like to ask would anyone know what are the job prospects for a soci grade. Are they good or bad (i know its kinda subjective but yeah haha). Should i be looking for smth else to major? Thanks for all your help (:
If you want a job related to what you studied it'll be mostly in academia. If you want a social science degree most applicable to industry it'd be economics.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
khozh is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you want a job related to what you studied it'll be mostly in academia. If you want a social science degree most applicable to industry it'd be economics.
When you said academia you mean like teaching sociology or smth like that?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
When you said academia you mean like teaching sociology or smth like that?
Yeah I guess, like PhD then lecture in uni etc. I don't think secondary schs etc. have sociology as a subject.

I mean you could do general degree related jobs but I cant really think of a job that specifically requires sociology knowledge. Maybe a journalist would require some of the skills learnt?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
khozh is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah I guess, like PhD then lecture in uni etc. I don't think secondary schs etc. have sociology as a subject.

I mean you could do general degree related jobs but I cant really think of a job that specifically requires sociology knowledge. Maybe a journalist would require some of the skills learnt?
Oh ok. I've asked a friend of mine who studied soci in nus and she said that her seniors have gone to industries such as banking and biz. Possible? And if so would the salary range be significantly lower than one who has studied biz in one of the local unis?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
Oh ok. I've asked a friend of mine who studied soci in nus and she said that her seniors have gone to industries such as banking and biz. Possible? And if so would the salary range be significantly lower than one who has studied biz in one of the local unis?
Well, if you have a first class in sociology it is possible to get into banking back-office ops role. If you are talking about investment banking, forget about it. A sociology degree is not going to get in.

If you have a 2nd upper in sociology, you are pretty much doomed, nothing you can do except some administrative roles in civil service. Rather than ask me, ask yourself what you think you can do when you are armed with a sociology degree? There are no such demands at all. The most likely degree to get you jobless gotta be sociology and linguistics.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, if you have a first class in sociology it is possible to get into banking back-office ops role. If you are talking about investment banking, forget about it. A sociology degree is not going to get in.

If you have a 2nd upper in sociology, you are pretty much doomed, nothing you can do except some administrative roles in civil service. Rather than ask me, ask yourself what you think you can do when you are armed with a sociology degree? There are no such demands at all. The most likely degree to get you jobless gotta be sociology and linguistics.
Hmmm what about a job in market research and analysis? Because according to the programme, there is quite abit of analysis work to be learnt and done and since with soci you'd study a lot on society, one could use the knowledge learnt and apply it to analysis and research?


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, if you have a first class in sociology it is possible to get into banking back-office ops role. If you are talking about investment banking, forget about it. A sociology degree is not going to get in.

If you have a 2nd upper in sociology, you are pretty much doomed, nothing you can do except some administrative roles in civil service. Rather than ask me, ask yourself what you think you can do when you are armed with a sociology degree? There are no such demands at all. The most likely degree to get you jobless gotta be sociology and linguistics.
Are you actually a sociology major? It is true that civil service is quite a common career path for sociology majors. I'm a sociology major with 2nd upper with a policy related job in civil service and other friends doing programmes planning. Marketing and also careers with NGOS/non-profit sector is also another common route.

Sociology and other social sciences in general teaches you critical thinking, research skills, and really improves your writing which are applicable to some industries. Sociology is not entirely without its demands especially if you are interested in social issues and you take quantitative statistics modules as well. I still think passion is quite important, it's going to be tough studying four years for a major that will make you miserable.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
khozh is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you actually a sociology major? It is true that civil service is quite a common career path for sociology majors. I'm a sociology major with 2nd upper with a policy related job in civil service and other friends doing programmes planning. Marketing and also careers with NGOS/non-profit sector is also another common route.

Sociology and other social sciences in general teaches you critical thinking, research skills, and really improves your writing which are applicable to some industries. Sociology is not entirely without its demands especially if you are interested in social issues and you take quantitative statistics modules as well. I still think passion is quite important, it's going to be tough studying four years for a major that will make you miserable.
Yup that was what i was thinking too. I was offered SMU info sys but then i totally dont have have interest in IS though the prospects might be good. When you mean marketing do you actually mean market research or the actual marketing of a product or service? Btw is there anyway i can contact you if you dont mind? Have tons of qns to ask man lol.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
Yup that was what i was thinking too. I was offered SMU info sys but then i totally dont have have interest in IS though the prospects might be good. When you mean marketing do you actually mean market research or the actual marketing of a product or service? Btw is there anyway i can contact you if you dont mind? Have tons of qns to ask man lol.
What he said was true and hence why I mentioned most sociology majors join civil service. That's why the administrative and policy making part comes about.

Forget about those craps about critical thinking skills. Science and engineering major all say the same things. We all studied in uni and know the truth, it's rubbish.

Having said that, civil service mostly require a 2nd upper. Hence anything lower you are doomed. Except for civil service, any business requires sociology grads. Check out the employment rates and salary on this forum front page yourself.

Those tells you the real situation rather than talks. So many of my sociology friends in the cohort who do not want to join civil service or cannot find a job even after a year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,166 Replies, 1,334,888 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,617 Replies, 3,082,615 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,049 Replies, 3,846,061 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,723 Replies, 1,135,173 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,882 Replies, 1,757,304 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 120,443 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 10,952 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,984 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
120 Replies, 46,706 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 374,389 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,630 Replies, 1,345,096 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,006 Replies, 1,146,230 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,715 Replies, 5,925,092 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 114,826 Views
Invitation to apply to civil...
0 Replies, 166 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021
6 Replies, 401 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
873 Replies, 260,137 Views
Looking for job referral,...
5 Replies, 512 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 2,493 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,356 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 34,782 Views
Employment agency taking me to...
2 Replies, 136 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,219 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 4,306 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,407 Replies, 2,012,239 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,462 Replies, 981,053 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 43,558 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2