Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ntu sociology degree (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2712-nanyang-technological-university-sociology-degree.html)

khozh 08-05-2013 06:49 PM

Ntu sociology degree
 
Hey guys I was just offered a place to read sociology. I would like to ask would anyone know what are the job prospects for a soci grade. Are they good or bad (i know its kinda subjective but yeah haha). Should i be looking for smth else to major? Thanks for all your help (:

Unregistered 08-05-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khozh (Post 36560)
Hey guys I was just offered a place to read sociology. I would like to ask would anyone know what are the job prospects for a soci grade. Are they good or bad (i know its kinda subjective but yeah haha). Should i be looking for smth else to major? Thanks for all your help (:

If you want a job related to what you studied it'll be mostly in academia. If you want a social science degree most applicable to industry it'd be economics.

khozh 08-05-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36561)
If you want a job related to what you studied it'll be mostly in academia. If you want a social science degree most applicable to industry it'd be economics.

When you said academia you mean like teaching sociology or smth like that?

Unregistered 08-05-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khozh (Post 36562)
When you said academia you mean like teaching sociology or smth like that?

Yeah I guess, like PhD then lecture in uni etc. I don't think secondary schs etc. have sociology as a subject.

I mean you could do general degree related jobs but I cant really think of a job that specifically requires sociology knowledge. Maybe a journalist would require some of the skills learnt?

khozh 08-05-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36563)
Yeah I guess, like PhD then lecture in uni etc. I don't think secondary schs etc. have sociology as a subject.

I mean you could do general degree related jobs but I cant really think of a job that specifically requires sociology knowledge. Maybe a journalist would require some of the skills learnt?

Oh ok. I've asked a friend of mine who studied soci in nus and she said that her seniors have gone to industries such as banking and biz. Possible? And if so would the salary range be significantly lower than one who has studied biz in one of the local unis?

Unregistered 08-05-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khozh (Post 36564)
Oh ok. I've asked a friend of mine who studied soci in nus and she said that her seniors have gone to industries such as banking and biz. Possible? And if so would the salary range be significantly lower than one who has studied biz in one of the local unis?

Well, if you have a first class in sociology it is possible to get into banking back-office ops role. If you are talking about investment banking, forget about it. A sociology degree is not going to get in.

If you have a 2nd upper in sociology, you are pretty much doomed, nothing you can do except some administrative roles in civil service. Rather than ask me, ask yourself what you think you can do when you are armed with a sociology degree? There are no such demands at all. The most likely degree to get you jobless gotta be sociology and linguistics.

Unregistered 08-05-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36568)
Well, if you have a first class in sociology it is possible to get into banking back-office ops role. If you are talking about investment banking, forget about it. A sociology degree is not going to get in.

If you have a 2nd upper in sociology, you are pretty much doomed, nothing you can do except some administrative roles in civil service. Rather than ask me, ask yourself what you think you can do when you are armed with a sociology degree? There are no such demands at all. The most likely degree to get you jobless gotta be sociology and linguistics.

Hmmm what about a job in market research and analysis? Because according to the programme, there is quite abit of analysis work to be learnt and done and since with soci you'd study a lot on society, one could use the knowledge learnt and apply it to analysis and research?

Unregistered 08-05-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36568)
Well, if you have a first class in sociology it is possible to get into banking back-office ops role. If you are talking about investment banking, forget about it. A sociology degree is not going to get in.

If you have a 2nd upper in sociology, you are pretty much doomed, nothing you can do except some administrative roles in civil service. Rather than ask me, ask yourself what you think you can do when you are armed with a sociology degree? There are no such demands at all. The most likely degree to get you jobless gotta be sociology and linguistics.

Are you actually a sociology major? It is true that civil service is quite a common career path for sociology majors. I'm a sociology major with 2nd upper with a policy related job in civil service and other friends doing programmes planning. Marketing and also careers with NGOS/non-profit sector is also another common route.

Sociology and other social sciences in general teaches you critical thinking, research skills, and really improves your writing which are applicable to some industries. Sociology is not entirely without its demands especially if you are interested in social issues and you take quantitative statistics modules as well. I still think passion is quite important, it's going to be tough studying four years for a major that will make you miserable.

khozh 08-05-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36578)
Are you actually a sociology major? It is true that civil service is quite a common career path for sociology majors. I'm a sociology major with 2nd upper with a policy related job in civil service and other friends doing programmes planning. Marketing and also careers with NGOS/non-profit sector is also another common route.

Sociology and other social sciences in general teaches you critical thinking, research skills, and really improves your writing which are applicable to some industries. Sociology is not entirely without its demands especially if you are interested in social issues and you take quantitative statistics modules as well. I still think passion is quite important, it's going to be tough studying four years for a major that will make you miserable.

Yup that was what i was thinking too. I was offered SMU info sys but then i totally dont have have interest in IS though the prospects might be good. When you mean marketing do you actually mean market research or the actual marketing of a product or service? Btw is there anyway i can contact you if you dont mind? Have tons of qns to ask man lol.

Unregistered 09-05-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khozh (Post 36580)
Yup that was what i was thinking too. I was offered SMU info sys but then i totally dont have have interest in IS though the prospects might be good. When you mean marketing do you actually mean market research or the actual marketing of a product or service? Btw is there anyway i can contact you if you dont mind? Have tons of qns to ask man lol.

What he said was true and hence why I mentioned most sociology majors join civil service. That's why the administrative and policy making part comes about.

Forget about those craps about critical thinking skills. Science and engineering major all say the same things. We all studied in uni and know the truth, it's rubbish.

Having said that, civil service mostly require a 2nd upper. Hence anything lower you are doomed. Except for civil service, any business requires sociology grads. Check out the employment rates and salary on this forum front page yourself.

Those tells you the real situation rather than talks. So many of my sociology friends in the cohort who do not want to join civil service or cannot find a job even after a year.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2