Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 26 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 24-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

Default 2% Unemployment

2% Unemployment figure from MOM is BS pulled from the air.
Without unemployment benefits registration like USA where do you think they get this figure?

Old 24-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Without unemployment benefits registration like USA where do you think they get this figure?
Then, you mean maybe singapore unemployment rate is as high as USA and without unemployment benefits, somehow, all manage to survive without starving to death.

People can't accept reality..so just attack the number with no basis.

Old 31-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Jobless & Seeking...for a long time

Quote:
After reading through this entire thread, I finally found the courage to share my story with everyone....

I majored in marketing during my uni days and graduated in 2008, coming into the workforce in early 2009, but it was a bad timing and with financial dues, I took up a job as quickly as possible with an IT MNC doing customer support. However everyday I looked forward to getting back and doing marketing but constantly under restraints, I made due with a seemingly mundane job that I have no passion for.

After a 2.5yrs stint with the company, I left for the Telco industry for better salary in order to quickly pay back my financial dues. I was on probation in a perm job which in retrospective, should expect a conversion of 6mths. But that didn't happen and I was further extended for another 3mths again, with no hints of perm conversion. At then did i realize I'll be out of a job by Aug 2012. It was a painful experience for me...coupled with the financial burden I had to shoulder as well. I had no choice but to leave the company on my own accord voluntarily rather than being let go or asked to leave.

As of now, at 5mths, I'm still out of a job and out of luck...especially when every month, there's only an outflow of expenses rather than inflow. It was a very discouraging fact and it mattered to me so much that I left a company within 1 year.

I need some advice on how I can better position myself with interviewers and agencies, hopefully the people here can offer some insights on the below:

1. How should I/would you position yourself when people ask you why you left your previous company within 1 year?

2. Would saying "end of contract" or decided not to renew/extend your "contract" term to pursue other oppurtunities viable?

3. If I want to do my line of study again and start from scratch(including taking a pay cut) , what are some of the ways I can try to justify the issue of being overqualified so as better secure interviews and job oppurtunites?

Thanks for anyone in advance who can offer their insights.

I thought I was in a very bad scenario but see some of people who posted (esp. 30s and mid 30s with family commitments) being unemployed/jobless are probably in a much worst scenario that I am. Nonetheless I hope everyone in a unemployed/jobless scenario like myself can get the chance and oppurtunity that we need to turnaround.
Hi, I'm in my mid 40s, unemployed since Sep 12. I have two children (JC/Sec) to support. I have been in contracts for many years. Difficult to get back to perm jobs due to employer biasness. With age, it's worst. Hoping for a miracle, hope to find a suitable perm job by Mar13. Otherwise, am dead.

Old 31-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
True, the fact of the matter is Singaporeans do not register for such benefits. Mom figures are just a pile of ******** designed to mislead the very people it is obligated to serve. Makes the mom have no reason for being.

In addition, you know now is very difficult to find jobs even for a 28 year old like me. Knnbcb no job!!!!!! Local uni grad!!!!
Old 31-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
True, the fact of the matter is Singaporeans do not register for such benefits. Mom figures are just a pile of ******** designed to mislead the very people it is obligated to serve. Makes the mom have no reason for being.

In addition, you know now is very difficult to find jobs even for a 28 year old like me. Knnbcb no job!!!!!! Local uni grad!!!!
r u a fresh grad or do u have work experience?
Old 31-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I'm in my mid 40s, unemployed since Sep 12. I have two children (JC/Sec) to support. I have been in contracts for many years. Difficult to get back to perm jobs due to employer biasness. With age, it's worst. Hoping for a miracle, hope to find a suitable perm job by Mar13. Otherwise, am dead.
Hi, I am also mid 40s and have just quitted from my job last year. I also have a child to support. My previous work was 1-leg-kick with a very small local company, do everything ... even manual repair work.
I have a degree but not doing what I had studied. After reading all the post, I really wonder if I can get a job now. Recently, my ex-boss counter offers me again but I really wasn't very sure if I should go back.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 31-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I am also mid 40s and have just quitted from my job last year. I also have a child to support. My previous work was 1-leg-kick with a very small local company, do everything ... even manual repair work.
I have a degree but not doing what I had studied. After reading all the post, I really wonder if I can get a job now. Recently, my ex-boss counter offers me again but I really wasn't very sure if I should go back.
You should go back. Never ever quit before securing another job offer, especially when you're in a highly vulnerable age group. You are no longer young.
Old 31-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am in my 40s too. I am tired of my job. But looking at the current situation, it seems like quitting is not an option. New job opportunities are harder to come by as well. Sad... is this the mid life crisis that everyone talks about?
Old 31-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You should go back. Never ever quit before securing another job offer, especially when you're in a highly vulnerable age group. You are no longer young.
I will seriously consider it again. Thanks for your response.
Have been applying jobs (even of lower qualification) since last year and ever since I quit. I only gotten 2 interviews and never get back. The rest of the application through all the jobs portal doesn't seem to response at all.
Old 31-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I will seriously consider it again. Thanks for your response.
Have been applying jobs (even of lower qualification) since last year and ever since I quit. I only gotten 2 interviews and never get back. The rest of the application through all the jobs portal doesn't seem to response at all.
how come u didn't switch to better job when younger?