Career as Teacher - Page 570 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5691 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 02:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If you apply for a secondment to another ministry or stat board, how difficult is it to stay there permanently? Could you possibly switch over to MX scheme?

Reply With Quote
  #5692 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 09:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
May I ask when you achieved this? And if you are male or female? If male, that's probably the fastest possible time you could attain geo5. Assuming you start working at age 27,1 year of geo2, 2 years each of geo3 and 4. Before getting geo5. Must have bene possible back when there was no cap of GEO4 to be appointed KP.
Pgde was only a year. 1 year to geo 3 (promotion was much faster then).

I canít pinpoint what I exactly did to achieve that, but I did take on quite a number of roles which are viable to the KPs and SLs then before becoming a KP myself.
staff well-being chair, lead for teachers projects, level rep, subject rep etc. Also initiated a number of student projects and mentored kids for competitions.

Upon becoming a KP, it is not hard to achieve a B grading. For A, once again, a lot more has to be done.

Reply With Quote
  #5693 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 10:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone resign while on No Pay leave? Is it possible? How is the process like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you apply for a secondment to another ministry or stat board, how difficult is it to stay there permanently? Could you possibly switch over to MX scheme?
Smart people hopping out before it's too late...

Will the list of smart people continue to grow? Hmmm...

Reply With Quote
  #5694 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Smart people hopping out before it's too late...

Will the list of smart people continue to grow? Hmmm...
Already left service... was a scholar but felt like a farmer. Over inflated portfolio, but slow promotion. Always say CEP high, got potential, will go far, but only crickets from HR. Feels like MOE is starting to behave more and more like a corporation where the bean counters constantly remind top management that costs need to be cut.

Now: working almost the same hours as my HOD days, but with slightly fewer people reporting to me yet drawing 2.2x of my last drawn GEO5 pay. And they say teachers got no transferrable prospects.. that's only true if you wait too long before leaving. MOE wants to cut down the teaching force, it's a win-win. For people who really have potential and ability, leave ASAP.
Reply With Quote
  #5695 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ope

I've applied through OPE and accepted an offer from the other school. My P has also endorsed the application and set the release date to be Jan 2023. I was wondering what are some possible reasons for MOE HR to reject my application..
Reply With Quote
  #5696 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And they say teachers got no transferrable prospects.. that's only true if you wait too long before leaving.
It's also true if your entire professional skillset is limited to teaching a subject at the secondary school level, and can do nothing else. For you, it helped to have some management experience from being a HOD. What is your current field btw?

That being said, you can still make a very decent living tutoring secondary school kids, so all is not lost.
Reply With Quote

  #5697 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 01:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've applied through OPE and accepted an offer from the other school. My P has also endorsed the application and set the release date to be Jan 2023. I was wondering what are some possible reasons for MOE HR to reject my application..
It's almost guaranteed to go through. One very unlikely reason could be if last minute structural changes happen within the other school such that your receiving department will exceed staffing quota if they take another teacher. But don't lose sleep over this, it's not gonna happen.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5698 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 06:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Already left service... was a scholar but felt like a farmer. Over inflated portfolio, but slow promotion. Always say CEP high, got potential, will go far, but only crickets from HR. Feels like MOE is starting to behave more and more like a corporation where the bean counters constantly remind top management that costs need to be cut.

Now: working almost the same hours as my HOD days, but with slightly fewer people reporting to me yet drawing 2.2x of my last drawn GEO5 pay. And they say teachers got no transferrable prospects.. that's only true if you wait too long before leaving. MOE wants to cut down the teaching force, it's a win-win. For people who really have potential and ability, leave ASAP.
congrats!! did u hop to another ministry/stat board? or did u go over to the private sector?
Reply With Quote
  #5699 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
congrats!! did u hop to another ministry/stat board? or did u go over to the private sector?
Private.

There were some decent lateral transfer options in the Civil Service, but being stuck two grades below my establishment grade (was GEO5 as a confirmed HOD then), it would mean that I map over to a similar subgrade in a different scheme. If I took on similar or higher responsibilities compared to a school HOD, then I would continue being underpaid in my new ministry for a few more years.

Jumping ship means I immediately get the pay that my responsibility level deserves.
Reply With Quote
  #5700 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2022, 09:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Private.

There were some decent lateral transfer options in the Civil Service, but being stuck two grades below my establishment grade (was GEO5 as a confirmed HOD then), it would mean that I map over to a similar subgrade in a different scheme. If I took on similar or higher responsibilities compared to a school HOD, then I would continue being underpaid in my new ministry for a few more years.

Jumping ship means I immediately get the pay that my responsibility level deserves.
Nice...Able to briefly mention which field you went into? Haha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,827 Replies, 2,504,179 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,763 Replies, 4,822,934 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,077 Replies, 3,599,081 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,009 Replies, 1,588,987 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
670 Replies, 317,580 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,173 Replies, 3,763,423 Views
MOH Holdings ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 18,215 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
19,066 Replies, 8,371,912 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,666 Replies, 3,791,674 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
552 Replies, 340,109 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,285 Replies, 2,967,999 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 87,170 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,282 Replies, 10,678,966 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
94 Replies, 35,319 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,043,275 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,315 Replies, 1,071,782 Views
Digital Academy Program at ST...
6 Replies, 979 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,744 Replies, 5,853,954 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,218 Replies, 549,828 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,802 Replies, 2,509,766 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,928 Replies, 1,270,347 Views
Dso & htx
9 Replies, 1,546 Views
Rakuten Software Engineer (Fresh...
6 Replies, 1,316 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,291 Replies, 1,125,464 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,604 Replies, 1,303,550 Views
Credit Suisse salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
50 Replies, 27,170 Views
Singapore Airlines
5 Replies, 1,194 Views
IBM salaries ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,536 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
310 Replies, 204,674 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2