Career as Teacher - Page 568 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5671 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2022, 05:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most likely they entered service much earlier , and were above average. Most likely They entered before the slow down of promotion
I reached Geo 5 at 32.
Not a scholar, but consistently A/B grade. Appointed SH and subsequently HOD.
I would think that good perf plus faster promotion then played a part in that.

Reply With Quote
  #5672 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Secondary school

Hi guys, does anyone know how much a secondary school teacher earns as a fresh teacher out from NIE/Degree holder?

Reply With Quote
  #5673 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2022, 06:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/salaries-of-teachers-counsellors-and-other-moe-officers-being-reviewed-chan-chun-sing

Guess this all but confirms that there'll be an adjustment coming… just not sure when, or by how much. 🤞

Reply With Quote
  #5674 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2022, 12:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/salaries-of-teachers-counsellors-and-other-moe-officers-being-reviewed-chan-chun-sing

Guess this all but confirms that there'll be an adjustment coming… just not sure when, or by how much. 🤞
Going by past trends in 2012 and 2015, it should be announced near Teacher's Day
Reply With Quote
  #5675 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2022, 12:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/salaries-of-teachers-counsellors-and-other-moe-officers-being-reviewed-chan-chun-sing

Guess this all but confirms that there'll be an adjustment coming… just not sure when, or by how much. 🤞
Hope they really mean it when they claim they keep pace with the market. If anyone has undergone any job interviews recently (as in, after covid recovery) with private education sector including tuition, you'll know that we are between 'somewhat' and 'embarrassingly far' below market for equivalent level of responsibility, experience, and academic (esp. teaching-related) qualifications.

I didn't even come up with 'keeping pace with the market' myself. It's literally what PSD says. But they've not been doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #5676 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2022, 08:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hope they really mean it when they claim they keep pace with the market. If anyone has undergone any job interviews recently (as in, after covid recovery) with private education sector including tuition, you'll know that we are between 'somewhat' and 'embarrassingly far' below market for equivalent level of responsibility, experience, and academic (esp. teaching-related) qualifications.

I didn't even come up with 'keeping pace with the market' myself. It's literally what PSD says. But they've not been doing it.
Is it true that there was a review back in 2018/2019 but the salaries were deemed "still competitive" back then?
Reply With Quote

  #5677 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2022, 09:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I reached Geo 5 at 32.
Not a scholar, but consistently A/B grade. Appointed SH and subsequently HOD.
I would think that good perf plus faster promotion then played a part in that.
May I ask when you achieved this? And if you are male or female? If male, that's probably the fastest possible time you could attain geo5. Assuming you start working at age 27,1 year of geo2, 2 years each of geo3 and 4. Before getting geo5. Must have bene possible back when there was no cap of GEO4 to be appointed KP.
Reply With Quote
  #5678 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2022, 11:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
May I ask when you achieved this? And if you are male or female? If male, that's probably the fastest possible time you could attain geo5. Assuming you start working at age 27,1 year of geo2, 2 years each of geo3 and 4. Before getting geo5. Must have bene possible back when there was no cap of GEO4 to be appointed KP.
Last time PGDE not so waste time one. You grad from uni in May/June, your PGDE starts in July for one sem, then following Feb-Apr is your practicum, and then you start BTship in June, exactly one year after your university graduation.
Reply With Quote
  #5679 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2022, 06:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flp

Hi all,
I’m interested to know more about the FLP. Can anyone who’s in FLP share how you were invited to join FLP? (Possibly also what was your age, substantive grade and what commitments you were undertaking around the time you were emplaced to FLP)? My HOD briefly mentioned about FLP as he was a PSC scholar then, but not too sure about the inner workings about it.

How can I go about to increase my chances?
Reply With Quote
  #5680 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2022, 07:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,
I’m interested to know more about the FLP. Can anyone who’s in FLP share how you were invited to join FLP? (Possibly also what was your age, substantive grade and what commitments you were undertaking around the time you were emplaced to FLP)? My HOD briefly mentioned about FLP as he was a PSC scholar then, but not too sure about the inner workings about it.

How can I go about to increase my chances?
Sample size of two:

1- female, non-scholar, emplaced at 5 YOE (GEO4) while serving a FHQ posting. Late 20s

2- male, local scholar, emplaced at 5 YOE (GEO4) in first year as a subject head in a school. Early 30s

Invitation was via email from the relevant HR people. It's centrally managed and decision makers don't lie within the school.

Nobody really knows how it works. But generally you have to be young and your CEP needs to be high. How high? Don't know. PSC scholar status may guarantee it, but other scholarships may not guarantee it. You could also get it as a non-scholar if your CEP has been beefed up enough.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,076 Replies, 5,110,487 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,823 Replies, 2,305,725 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 415,629 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,350 Replies, 3,465,870 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,684 Replies, 2,392,800 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,825 Replies, 1,448,452 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,206 Replies, 6,849,679 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,159 Replies, 10,473,688 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,303 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,161 Replies, 3,806,280 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,350 Replies, 1,167,396 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,037 Replies, 1,088,657 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,902 Replies, 4,731,437 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,284 Replies, 639,246 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,603,523 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 16,958 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,175 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,811 Replies, 1,579,924 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 806,874 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,214 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 389,784 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,225 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,503 Replies, 1,403,515 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,228 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,448 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,552 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,666 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 78,039 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 554,848 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,258 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2