Career as Teacher - Page 522 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 22-04-2022, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

Hi everyone, I’m a GEO 3 officer who is in the soccer CCA. We usually have a coach to train the students during the bi-weekly sessions. Any suggestion how can I contribute to the CCA? Like organise soccer camp? But with the covid situation we can’t have camps in sch yet. I’m the junior team IC.

TIA for the suggestions and also reading!

Old 22-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, I’m a GEO 3 officer who is in the soccer CCA. We usually have a coach to train the students during the bi-weekly sessions. Any suggestion how can I contribute to the CCA? Like organise soccer camp? But with the covid situation we can’t have camps in sch yet. I’m the junior team IC.

TIA for the suggestions and also reading!

Can consider starting a reflection journal for them to complete before and after their practices. Get them to reflect on how they want to improve as a sportsman. Include CCE things as well, like what challenges they face and what attitude they need to possess to improve

The objective of this can be for them to be more mindful sportsman, and with this journal, easy for u to quote the impact

Old 22-04-2022, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can consider starting a reflection journal for them to complete before and after their practices. Get them to reflect on how they want to improve as a sportsman. Include CCE things as well, like what challenges they face and what attitude they need to possess to improve

The objective of this can be for them to be more mindful sportsman, and with this journal, easy for u to quote the impact

Thank you for the suggestion! Shall try that out!

Old 22-04-2022, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi teachers, need some advice..

My performance has always been very good for the past 5 years.
But yet I’m not promoted to a GEO 4 yet.
I’m doing fairly more than my peers teaching same subjects from other schools, and perhaps equivalent to those in my same school.
My friends in other schools are all 4 and minority of them already at KP level.

Spoke to my RO but he just say don’t complain, just work, not your time yet. But every time just telling me I’m doing well very good and CEP is good which I never know how true.

Should I continue to stay in this school and wait for miracle
Or
Look for another during open posting?
I can’t bear to leave what I’ve set up/created for the school but if no future there, then it’s a waste of my time.

Will open posting schools look for/accept higher GEO Teachers during interview? Or GEO 3 stands the same chance?

I felt really demoralised and taken for granted for being the youngest there.

Thanks in advance for spending some time for reading this
Nowadays want to get GEO4 before 5 years of service is very difficult. Cannot compare with older teachers.
Old 22-04-2022, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I’m doing fairly more than my peers teaching same subjects from other schools, and perhaps equivalent to those in my same school.

Spoke to my RO but he just say don’t complain, just work, not your time yet. But every time just telling me I’m doing well very good and CEP is good which I never know how true.

Or
I can’t bear to leave what I’ve set up/created for the school but if no future there, then it’s a waste of my time.

Will open posting schools look for/accept higher GEO Teachers during interview? Or GEO 3 stands the same chance?

If you read the previous posts, there does seem to be a bottleneck of geo3 to geo 4.

Different schools have different culture, conditions, hence set their distribution of work differently that best fit their needs. But every school will try to make the workload fair, to the best of their ability. Do note fair does not mean equal. What you hear from school A in this area is not going to be the same with another school Y. Need to consider how school A and school Y does as a whole, compare as a whole.
It’s not a good comparison to be comparing what you are doing against what your friends in other schools are doing, especially if it’s based on roles , teaching classes or a laundry list of things one is involved in. There is a distinction between role and contribution , and of course impact of work.

You mentioned you have been performing’ very good’. That would mean a list of consecutive Bs. In that sense, you have indeed been doing impactful work and also been given the opportunity. Hence you also do not wish for the work you have created and put in much effort to go to waste. Like your RO, I also believe your CEP is high and promotion will come one day.

Open posting can be a choice. Schools would usually welcome experienced teachers like yourself. However grass need not be greener on the other side. Do your research well, especially if you have intention to take on more leadership roles. One question you would need to be prepared to answer is why are you leaving your current school when you have been performing well in your current school.

If you are still interested to remain in current school, can consider letting your RO know of your career aspirations instead. With more developmental opportunities, you will learn more, and promotion should be timely.
Old 23-04-2022, 08:16 AM
Unregistered

Question

As a young experienced teacher, I was recently promoted to GEO4. My P recently told me she would be appointing me as a subject coordinator next year with plans to be appointed SH the following year after after the interview with Supt. At the same time I also had plans to apply for open posting to HQ. When I told my P this, she said that progression wise it makes more sense to be appointed as a KP in sch first, serve your time, then go HQ. I have to say I felt a little disappointed when I was told this as I had expected an appointment next year. She says it's needed if I want to ace the interview.

For those who were faced with this dilemma, what decision did you make and why? My aim is just to progress fast. I can see how appointment to KPship can speed. Up my progress. But I had heard that being in HQ can also increase CEP further if you are deemed to have potential. But being appointed to KPship is also not a given after hq.

Old 23-04-2022, 08:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
As a young experienced teacher, I was recently promoted to GEO4. My P recently told me she would be appointing me as a subject coordinator next year with plans to be appointed SH the following year after after the interview with Supt. At the same time I also had plans to apply for open posting to HQ. When I told my P this, she said that progression wise it makes more sense to be appointed as a KP in sch first, serve your time, then go HQ. I have to say I felt a little disappointed when I was told this as I had expected an appointment next year. She says it's needed if I want to ace the interview.

For those who were faced with this dilemma, what decision did you make and why? My aim is just to progress fast. I can see how appointment to KPship can speed. Up my progress. But I had heard that being in HQ can also increase CEP further if you are deemed to have potential. But being appointed to KPship is also not a given after hq.
General rule of thumb - if you perform well, there's a good chance that after HQ, you can secure a role one step higher than your previous role. i.e. if you're formally appointed SH in school, good chance you can find a HOD role post-HQ. Previously it was possible to go back to school as HOD even if you'd entered HQ as a BT, but based on observation that's really rare these days.

So it's not quite wasted time - if you're quite happy in your school (other than speed of advancement), you can consider staying put. The KP experience will lend you greater understanding of that stakeholders' point of view - if you work in the professional wing, a lot of your interaction might be with them.
Old 23-04-2022, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Or

NS or without NS?

Age this year?

^ even these factors may play a part...
Old 23-04-2022, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
NS or without NS?

Age this year?

^ even these factors may play a part...
No NS in early 30s
Old 23-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
No NS in early 30s
yup already suspected so...you might have to wait one or two more years.

but with your current B grades, promotion next year should come