Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 31-03-2024, 08:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
clearly you’ve never been in the ranking panel. though i suspect you could be a relief teacher or just going through school experience.
Im a hod with 13 years in service and 6 as a hod. I have never seen a D given in those 6 years. C- yes but all had strong reasons and the officers were warned well in advance. There's no such thing as suddenly getting a C- when you have been performing well all along. We don't just dish out C- out of spite.

Old 31-03-2024, 09:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
i dont blame some of them for feeling this way though. yes, we can all learn to read people properly eventually. but it doesnt mean the other party will have compassion or empathy for others.

one of the previous posts already mentioned that a certain % of staff must get C-. this means that incompetent people will get it (of course), but also for some people who are targeted, it probably cant be avoided.

if you read the last 20-30 pgs of this thread, there are accounts of both extremes.

take maternity or NPL, still can get B
get challenging workload and do their best, still can get D

and some maintained that most superiors are actually not that evil and will try to let everyone scrape through with at least a C, so we should not take all the outlier stories too seriously

the truth is that the bell curve will always be there, and there are also all kinds of reporting officers out there. all of the above stories are equally possible. nowadays to survive and adapt is tougher, due to the competition and lots of changes in policies.

want to get out of a toxic environment and transfer? not that easy also, with the competition and limited vacancies.

want to remain comfortable (those with good RO protecting/fighting for you)? not for long anymore, with the forced rotation of ROs (according to previous posts).

decide on whats important to you - wanting to climb and learning how to survive the increasing workload and politics, or to stay healthy and sane while just doing mostly what you enjoy, yourself and your family.
Look at this post guys. It's just about whether you are heng or suay.

For the HOD guy who keeps insisting that he doesn't give bad grades to random Toms, Dicks and Harrys, yes we get it. You are fair and competent. Many officers here would love to be your subordinate. But not every reporting officer out there is like you.

There's no need for everyone here to argue so much. You don't even need to be a teacher to figure out this type of work politics.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 31-03-2024, 10:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Look at this post guys. It's just about whether you are heng or suay.

For the HOD guy who keeps insisting that he doesn't give bad grades to random Toms, Dicks and Harrys, yes we get it. You are fair and competent. Many officers here would love to be your subordinate. But not every reporting officer out there is like you.

There's no need for everyone here to argue so much. You don't even need to be a teacher to figure out this type of work politics.
Agreed.

If you can teach, there will be places that want and need you.

Woekplace politics are everywhere. Win people over and be of value to others. Dont be naive.

Old 31-03-2024, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not the "HOD guy" - but thought I'd chime in. The thing is, while I can easily imagine individual ROs being affected by personal bias, I find it hard to imagine that an entire ranking panel, comprising all the KP (maybe just HODs for some schools) and SLs, will all decide to get in on it and choose to randomly give bad grades to someone who absolutely doesn't deserve it. Keeping in mind that the grades will need to be cleared by the superintendent, who will likely ask for justification for the lowest scorers.

(Perhaps more likely if P is the one with personal bias 😂 but even then, I can't imagine it getting through if the officer is totally blameless.)

Whatever the case, agree with overall sentiment that if you feel you are consistently being wronged in your current school, you should probably consider moving on… whether there's really any personal bias involved or not, it's clear that something isn't working right in your current environment. If you genuinely feel you deserve better, go out and seek greener pastures!
Old 31-03-2024, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Im a hod with 13 years in service and 6 as a hod. I have never seen a D given in those 6 years. C- yes but all had strong reasons and the officers were warned well in advance. There's no such thing as suddenly getting a C- when you have been performing well all along. We don't just dish out C- out of spite.
I’ve also been in the ranking panel and saw how ppl nitpick on things that are once off. Furthermore, some officers really have bad RO. Some of them were already set for failure (C-/D) based on their deployment. I’ve seen how some RO pretends to be nice in front of their officers but collect evidence of every minor mistakes their JHs made. Sigh. There are always toxic people around. Just be aware and move on.
Old 31-03-2024, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

It really depends on luck. If you getting a shitty RO who doesn't speak for you and nitpicks on every tiny mistake, you might get a C-.

Some ROs are also close to their JHs and they are friends so they may give them a better grade than other JHs. I have seen some bootlickers JHs buying gifts and food/drinks for their ROs so all these factors play a part during ranking.

Old 31-03-2024, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

Those who covered as SH/LH may I know how long it took before your position is confirmed?
Old 31-03-2024, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
fret not. in 2 years time, when you're posted to a diff school, you'll witness real office politics. if it doesnt turn out to be a bed of roses, dont say we didnt warn you.

(waiting for 'nice' HOD to claim he'll be abv 55 by then)
Old 31-03-2024, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not the "HOD guy" - but thought I'd chime in. The thing is, while I can easily imagine individual ROs being affected by personal bias, I find it hard to imagine that an entire ranking panel, comprising all the KP (maybe just HODs for some schools) and SLs, will all decide to get in on it and choose to randomly give bad grades to someone who absolutely doesn't deserve it. Keeping in mind that the grades will need to be cleared by the superintendent, who will likely ask for justification for the lowest scorers.

(Perhaps more likely if P is the one with personal bias 😂 but even then, I can't imagine it getting through if the officer is totally blameless.)

Whatever the case, agree with overall sentiment that if you feel you are consistently being wronged in your current school, you should probably consider moving on… whether there's really any personal bias involved or not, it's clear that something isn't working right in your current environment. If you genuinely feel you deserve better, go out and seek greener pastures!
Usually, management agrees with what the ROs rank. Based in my experience.
There are some who will speak up for you but in general the culture here is "it is not my problem"
Old 31-03-2024, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Those who covered as SH/LH may I know how long it took before your position is confirmed?
2 years… no easy way around it