Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 17-08-2016, 01:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good example will be joining big4. I agree that as a small fry in a big4 you don't learn as many skills compare to joining a small local audit firm, but I know of a few manager level colleagues who went on to become partner in local firms or join big MNC at senior level.

OTOH I have never seen a small audit firm manager come to big4 as a partner. That's why many of us are willing to spend the first few years underpaid & overwork in order to broaden our options in the future.

My advice to the question on top is if you can get into mnc get into mnc, if cannot don't be discourage as there is career advancement in the SME space also.
The danger is the market has a stigma against job seekers with only sme experience. Few years esp right after school can be overlook, but once reach 5 years & beyond, will be more or less condem to jump between sme which have a much lower pay & glass ceiling. Even the bigger GLC and ministry rank sme exp low in the priority.

Old 17-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The danger is the market has a stigma against job seekers with only sme experience. Few years esp right after school can be overlook, but once reach 5 years & beyond, will be more or less condem to jump between sme which have a much lower pay & glass ceiling. Even the bigger GLC and ministry rank sme exp low in the priority.
Nonsense. I know a lot of top level directors and vp in us/eu multinationals who came from sme background.

Old 17-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nonsense. I know a lot of top level directors and vp in us/eu multinationals who came from sme background.
Are these local SMEs you are referring to? What's classified as a SME overseas may be considered to be a big company by local standards.

Old 17-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are these local SMEs you are referring to? What's classified as a SME overseas may be considered to be a big company by local standards.
Local sme background. In the job market what counts is ability and skills, as long as you have them global mnc are very happy to offer big package for you to join as senior leaders. Many of the directors and svp in the high tech industry are talented professionals caming from small sg/my firms.

Only idiot grads with no exp keep fantasizing about working in prestige companies thinking this is the best way to move up.
Old 17-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Default Hicks peset

Quote:
Local sme background. In the job market what counts is ability and skills, as long as you have them global mnc are very happy to offer big package for you to join as senior leaders. Many of the directors and svp in the high tech industry are talented professionals caming from small sg/my firms.

Only idiot grads with no exp keep fantasizing about working in prestige companies thinking this is the best way to move up.
I am another poster. Interesting. I have been working for 4 years plus. Have never wanted to work in SME. I was from MNCs all along.
Old 18-08-2016, 02:25 AM
Unregistered

To be really honest,

during networking event that i attended, based on several articles i read online, career coaches i consulted, its always better to choose a job that has high demands where it tests you on knowledge, creativity and exhibit decision making skills. These jobs usually come with steep learning curve. (aka front office roles where you work with stakeholders and initiate businesses, perform research/due diligence and involving non-repetitive activities)

Putting things into perspective. If i were to go for a MNC but i do operations, compliance and mechanistic roles where everything is repetitive and dependent on other teams to keep the ball moving, it can be extremely difficult to jump to the better roles who many desire. You hardly get to work with people elsewhere and able to leave office. Day in day out you are essentially doing the same thing, stuck in office and it does not broaden your knowledge as well.

But if i were to kick start my career with getting into a small firm but clocking relevant experience (keyword relevant), a job switch could be made a lot easier as compared to the former option. In addition, these jobs allow huge exposure when you work with stakeholders and at times they themselves come from MNC who can offer a referral if you decide to career switch.

Ultimately, once you work a few years, you shouldnt be applying jobs via job portal or sending resumes online. Everything is done through word of mouth if you network actively and get yourself introduced to the right people during your time in the small firm.

Old 18-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
To be really honest,

during networking event that i attended, based on several articles i read online, career coaches i consulted, its always better to choose a job that has high demands where it tests you on knowledge, creativity and exhibit decision making skills. These jobs usually come with steep learning curve. (aka front office roles where you work with stakeholders and initiate businesses, perform research/due diligence and involving non-repetitive activities)

Putting things into perspective. If i were to go for a MNC but i do operations, compliance and mechanistic roles where everything is repetitive and dependent on other teams to keep the ball moving, it can be extremely difficult to jump to the better roles who many desire. You hardly get to work with people elsewhere and able to leave office. Day in day out you are essentially doing the same thing, stuck in office and it does not broaden your knowledge as well.

But if i were to kick start my career with getting into a small firm but clocking relevant experience (keyword relevant), a job switch could be made a lot easier as compared to the former option. In addition, these jobs allow huge exposure when you work with stakeholders and at times they themselves come from MNC who can offer a referral if you decide to career switch.

Ultimately, once you work a few years, you shouldnt be applying jobs via job portal or sending resumes online. Everything is done through word of mouth if you network actively and get yourself introduced to the right people during your time in the small firm.
It's about what choice you have. If given choice of joining front office of DBS vs back office of JPM, of course is go for DBS. If the choice is about back office of JPM or front office of a local sme like Singapura Finance, then I think you must be quite mad to think the network and learning curve of a front office role in Singapura Finance has better prospects than a JPM support job.
Old 18-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It's about what choice you have. If given choice of joining front office of DBS vs back office of JPM, of course is go for DBS. If the choice is about back office of JPM or front office of a local sme like Singapura Finance, then I think you must be quite mad to think the network and learning curve of a front office role in Singapura Finance has better prospects than a JPM support job.
I work in Singapura Finance, and I am offended by what you just said.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Its just a remark, don't take it too seriously.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Try to get out of there asap, no point emo & do nothing.