Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 19-08-2016, 12:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's about what choice you have. If given choice of joining front office of DBS vs back office of JPM, of course is go for DBS. If the choice is about back office of JPM or front office of a local sme like Singapura Finance, then I think you must be quite mad to think the network and learning curve of a front office role in Singapura Finance has better prospects than a JPM support job.
I dont know about you. But operations/support/mechanistic roles are just not for me.

And i see little career progression under this path. Yes other big MNC recognize the brand but im limited to similar operation roles elsewhere. Barclays ops, DBS ops, UBS ops.

Internal transfer to front office doesnt work. Not even CFA can save you. Masters perhaps yes (given hands on exposure) but that knocks another 2 years off and plentiful of money.

Small firms may recognize the brand. but during interview if you cant do financial modelling or display other hands on skills how to get hired? And honestly even if JPM tag, during networking when people hear you are compliance/support they would categorize you as one who are the 'compliance support guy'. You just wont get to do fanciful stuffs.

Similarly why people opt to work for boutique unknown investment banks, unknown family office funds, unknown private equity firms instead of back end support roles of your MNC brands. Unknown yes, but people from those MNC will at times beg you for business and engage in their services.

ultimately if i choose the back office support role path i'd be stuck in same function and my compensation will never be as high as front office people.

Anyway back office roles are starting to get outsource to India and other countries already. That just show how dispensable these jobs are and how much branding it actually provides. Not trying to look down on these jobs, they are absolutely crucial to the system. But its quite depressing how many people think they are hotshot just cause they work in renowned firms when day in day out they just do repetitive stuffs. And then with such a flat working life 1) they dread Mondays, 2) looking forward to knock offs in evenings and 3) their usual quarterly overseas holidays.

Old 19-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I dont know about you. But operations/support/mechanistic roles are just not for me.

And i see little career progression under this path. Yes other big MNC recognize the brand but im limited to similar operation roles elsewhere. Barclays ops, DBS ops, UBS ops.

Internal transfer to front office doesnt work. Not even CFA can save you. Masters perhaps yes (given hands on exposure) but that knocks another 2 years off and plentiful of money.

Small firms may recognize the brand. but during interview if you cant do financial modelling or display other hands on skills how to get hired? And honestly even if JPM tag, during networking when people hear you are compliance/support they would categorize you as one who are the 'compliance support guy'. You just wont get to do fanciful stuffs.

Similarly why people opt to work for boutique unknown investment banks, unknown family office funds, unknown private equity firms instead of back end support roles of your MNC brands. Unknown yes, but people from those MNC will at times beg you for business and engage in their services.

ultimately if i choose the back office support role path i'd be stuck in same function and my compensation will never be as high as front office people.

Anyway back office roles are starting to get outsource to India and other countries already. That just show how dispensable these jobs are and how much branding it actually provides. Not trying to look down on these jobs, they are absolutely crucial to the system. But its quite depressing how many people think they are hotshot just cause they work in renowned firms when day in day out they just do repetitive stuffs. And then with such a flat working life 1) they dread Mondays, 2) looking forward to knock offs in evenings and 3) their usual quarterly overseas holidays.
I know you are sharing your view. You are just one of the majority.While some parts of what you said is true, but you dont need to do fanciful stuff in order to be successful. All the people around me want to be in front office etc. You are getting higher pay at the expense of other things. I have friends in front office working 12 to 14 hrs a day which is not sustainable in the long run.
Your life doesnt revolve just about money and front office. This is just my opinion.

Old 19-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

How is all this chit chat about investment banking/fund management FO relevant to the thread?

I don't see any SIM-UOL grad studying that or getting any of these jobs. If you all want to show off your knowledge or argue over some theory about skills and brands, please have the courtesy to start your own thread.

Old 19-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How is all this chit chat about investment banking/fund management FO relevant to the thread?

I don't see any SIM-UOL grad studying that or getting any of these jobs. If you all want to show off your knowledge or argue over some theory about skills and brands, please have the courtesy to start your own thread.
Obviously never work in finance industry before, there are quite a few private grads in the front office and quant side.
Old 19-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Obviously never work in finance industry before, there are quite a few private grads in the front office and quant side.
Yeah, i know of a lot of private grads working as bank tellers. But i am sure front office and quant means different things to different people.
Old 19-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah, i know of a lot of private grads working as bank tellers. But i am sure front office and quant means different things to different people.
No need to look down and insult others when you cannot get offers.

Old 19-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
another angry local u grad who got pawned by a sim grad hahaha
Old 20-08-2016, 03:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
hahahahahahhahahah quant hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I am not sure you know what you are talking about
Old 20-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
another angry local u grad who got pawned by a sim grad hahaha
Just because someone provides an opinion about SIM grads that is negative, why does it mean that he got pawned by a SIM? Doesnt make any sense.
Old 21-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Unregistered

Does anyone have any linkedin evidence of a SIM fresh grad taking up FO role in Finance? I keep reading about claims here and HWZ, but nobody able to show even ONE online profile of such a case.