Difficult to switch from Public To Private Sector - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Difficult to switch from Public To Private Sector

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: East
Posts: 13
aresnum is on a distinguished road
Red face Difficult to switch from Public To Private Sector

Hi ,

Been with public sector for past 6 years .. salary and bonus is very good ( 16 - 18 months ) , but too much politics and opportunity to learn new things .

Anyone successfully change job to private MNC , and retain the same remuneration? Most of my experience related to policy which seems not appreciated by MNC .

I am in IT field , local Singaporean .

Thanks .

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Which CS are u in?
Why do you say there are too much politics?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: East
Posts: 13
aresnum is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Which CS are u in?
Why do you say there are too much politics?
One of the stat board . Bosses only keen to claim credit , and play politics . , unproductive working environment.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresnum View Post
Hi ,

Been with public sector for past 6 years .. salary and bonus is very good ( 16 - 18 months ) , but too much politics and opportunity to learn new things .

Anyone successfully change job to private MNC , and retain the same remuneration? Most of my experience related to policy which seems not appreciated by MNC .

I am in IT field , local Singaporean .

Thanks .
You need to weigh the pros and cons. The only issue is your current place is too much politics.

The issue with CS is emphasis on theory or policy work.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresnum View Post
One of the stat board . Bosses only keen to claim credit , and play politics . , unproductive working environment.

State it la. Why you hum ji
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 11
JobHunter45 is on a distinguished road
Default

I switched to private sector after 7 years but took a pay cut. From what i see from my and other former public servants' experience, private sector seems slightly bias against public sector (think we slack all day, work 9 to 5, happily enjoying cushy bonuses....ha if only!!). But perception aside most of our work is also not relevant to private sector...which explains the pay cut.

Maybe consider another govt body if you wanna keep your salary? I think public sector is slowly but surely deteriorating but there are pockets of hope to be found here and there.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2019, 11:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Also in the IT industry, one of the MNC tech giant. politics everywhere too, similar problems. Think twice before you switch, grass is not always better on the other side. Probably just the IT industry issue.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does it mean that it is common to have 4 months of bonuses in the public sector even at entry level? How do this compare to the bonuses in the private sector?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does it mean that it is common to have 4 months of bonuses in the public sector even at entry level? How do this compare to the bonuses in the private sector?
I think it will be fairer to compare similar job junction from across CS to private sector.

Some private sector roles dont have high bonus but high base salary.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: East
Posts: 13
aresnum is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter45 View Post
I switched to private sector after 7 years but took a pay cut. From what i see from my and other former public servants' experience, private sector seems slightly bias against public sector (think we slack all day, work 9 to 5, happily enjoying cushy bonuses....ha if only!!). But perception aside most of our work is also not relevant to private sector...which explains the pay cut.

Maybe consider another govt body if you wanna keep your salary? I think public sector is slowly but surely deteriorating but there are pockets of hope to be found here and there.
Been trying to apply for transfer ... boss not letting me go .. sigh .... if I not switching now , will have to stay in public sector forever .

Non scholar difficult to climb the corporate ladders.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
government, public sector

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is it easy to make the switch from pte to public sector? ingenieur Income and Jobs 12 29-04-2015 10:01 AM
Importance of Education level between Private Sector and Public Sector mshappy Income and Jobs 3 09-10-2013 06:24 PM
Is it difficult for private degree to get into public sector? BubblesAirHead Income and Jobs 6 07-04-2013 09:40 PM
Private or Public Sector? dupdupdup Income and Jobs 0 23-10-2012 10:56 PM
Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector Huston Income and Jobs 5 05-04-2012 05:19 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,583 Replies, 5,809,971 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,383 Replies, 953,157 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,989 Replies, 2,924,787 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,831 Replies, 1,705,855 Views
What is typical RSU and sign on?
5 Replies, 371 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,012 Replies, 794,379 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,527 Replies, 1,074,824 Views
Engineering role in a GLC
0 Replies, 31 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,000 Replies, 3,807,462 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
404 Replies, 262,655 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
731 Replies, 363,170 Views
Advisable to volunteer to be...
2 Replies, 934 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 100,342 Views
Big Four Promotion/Bonus/Incr... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 5,591 Views
Passive income ideas? ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 16,630 Views
Anyone applied to MTI before as... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 1,783 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 560,440 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
59 Replies, 48,354 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 7,710 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
219 Replies, 130,047 Views
How to properly manage the income?
4 Replies, 308 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
782 Replies, 237,048 Views
How much does a nurse earn ? ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 20,670 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 29,305 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 2,699 Views
DBS Strategic Advisory
0 Replies, 125 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
641 Replies, 467,393 Views
How to know you are not fit for...
6 Replies, 800 Views
Software developers salary outlier ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 2,080 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 306,707 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2